Sponsored by: DP Tuner

fuel bowl delete kits??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel bowl delete kits??

Going to be doing an alligator fuel sump and airdog install soon. Wondering about a fuel bowl delete. Found two kits for 160$. Are they worth the hassle? Or should I leave my stock bowl there?
Also doing the lpop, ATI,and swamps hv/hf. p

Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did a bowl delete on an OBS and loved it... more room, cleaner looks, easier to work on, less to go wrong. Worth it IMO and I'm gonna do mine as soon as I can afford to do it the way I want to.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
cutlass
Elder User
I can say that I'm happy with the fuel bowl delete setup I put on my truck from Strictly Diesel (formerly ITP). The only thing I did differently was to use a different spin on fuel filter base than what came with the kit after I couldn't stop fuel leakage where the fuel hoses went into the base supplied by Strictly Diesel. I went with a billet aluminum spin on filter base from FST Performance. They provide fuel supply parts to the Marine Off-Shore Racing industry. Here's a link to the filter base I used from them: Link Absolutely no leaks whatsoever from this filter base!

Other than that, the kit was great given the quality of fuel supply hoses and other parts included.

I have no experience fabbing up my own complete system, but it was pretty easy to install, especially since I already had Strictly Diesel's Regulated Return System on my truck.

Drake

Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Is a regulated return necessary for a fuel bowl delete?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by empiretc
Is a regulated return necessary for a fuel bowl delete?
No, but if you're removing the fuel bowl and relying on some other regulator to control fuel pressure, why not go ahead and change out the fuel lines so you can fix the starving #8 injector? The hoses and fittings required to upgrade a fuel bowl delete to a regulated return would be minimal. The regulator is the expensive part of the regulated return kit, and you'll get one of those with a fuel bowl delete kit.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
No, but if you're removing the fuel bowl and relying on some other regulator to control fuel pressure, why not go ahead and change out the fuel lines so you can fix the starving #8 injector? The hoses and fittings required to upgrade a fuel bowl delete to a regulated return would be minimal. The regulator is the expensive part of the regulated return kit, and you'll get one of those with a fuel bowl delete kit.

I couldn't agree with you more Chris. The regulated return kit should be a must mod for every on of our trucks. This would be a great time to do this if you are already deleting the fuel bowl. Call Clay at RiffRaff about his Frx system or there are kits from others that are little more involved in the installation due to the difference in design. Do your homework, but anyone's system will accomplish the task. I believe the kit from Strictly Diesel is made to be used in tandem with their regulated return system. I already had my regulated system in when I added the fuel bowl delete kit. Check out Strictly Diesel's website and I'm sure the product description will give you all the information you need on the requirements for the fuel bowl delete kit.

Drake

Old 02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
I already have the reg return. Is there a cheaper way to delete the bowl?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Not really... all winds up costing about the same.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
Thanks Chris n Drake. I will do some more research.
Drake did you get those fog lights to work with the bumper at all?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Subscribing

Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
So most fb deletes come with a rr? If ya can't tell i havent researched it much at all.
Then I could sell my RR. ??

Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Well, you have to have a means of regulating the pressure on the injectors. In stock form, the fuel bowl contains the pressure regulator. A regulated return that keeps the bowl, but bypasses the stock regulator is run through an external pressure regulator, making the stock regulator inactive. When you delete the bowl, you're essentially relocating the filter and without the bowl, unless you're already running a regulated return, you'll need something to regulate the fuel pressure at the injectors. Hope this makes sense and isn't too redundant.

Here's a link to my regulated return... you'll see what get's blocked/bypassed:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9327310

Make sure you read to the end and see the end result... I changed it a few times and the end product is MUCH better.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Also, a regulated return is only part of the mod... the gist of the mod is to run the fuel through the rails rather than to the ends. Instead of bleeding excess fuel pressure in the bowl through the return line via the stock regulator because the fuel at the ends of the fuel rails has nowhere else to go, you run the fuel THROUGH the heads right out the other ends and into an external regulator which then maintains pressure on the system and bleeds the rest back into the tank.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:31 PM
cowboymoto
New User
California legal???

Anybody have any ideas how to make an easy change on the regulator to get it smog legal in California? I could really use some help

Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboymoto
Anybody have any ideas how to make an easy change on the regulator to get it smog legal in California? I could really use some help
whats going on? Is your bowl deleted? If so, better find a place you can grease or ur up @#^%-creek without a paddle..(or find a bowl to install)

Quick Reply: fuel bowl delete kits??