1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Battery relocation done. Coolant filter done with pics. York prep started.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Darin, does you phone have one of those chips? Pull it out and maybe it will go to internal memory and be OK. Then get another chip. Just guessing. My daughter talked me into a iphone, its got more on it then I'll ever learn.

George, that's the image that's burned into my brain, LOL.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that was what you meant

Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Glenn, it has no chip that I know of. Just a plainjane phone that is now trash I guess. Thanks though.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I may have time to get the rest of the old crap out of the way today, turns out some parts didn't show up for the mustang. No more pictures though as my phone didn't fix itself...

The passenger side batt tray is kind of tied into the mount for the degas bottle, so I'll have to fab up something after I remove it. It wouldn't HAVE to be removed, but why not, its not needed.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I got all the old wiring and battery trays removed. On the passenger side, the negative cable runs down to the motor, and has a smaller ground ran from there to the frame. I removed them both, then made a new 4ga. ground to run from the motor to the frame in its place. I cleaned all the areas first with a wire brush and brake cleaner. The big positive cable is run in a loom with the smaller wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter. I eliminated them both, then put a new 10ga. wire in for the starter to solenoid wire and put a single wire loom on it.

I had to cut the 4gauge wire I put in to run from the battery to the solenoid by my switch as when the switch was off, I of course still had power from that wire running directly to the battery. I tied it onto both sides of the switch now so when its off, its off. No power anywhere.

The battery tray on the passenger side came right out unbolting it. Lots of room there for my coolant filter. That is where its going. Maybe mount it this afternoon. The drivers side, had two rivets tied to the bracket for the degas bottle. I cut them off with a 4" grinder, then unbolted it and removed. I took the piece of metal that runs at an angle behind the battery from the fender to the furthest rivet. Then cut it and bent it to work from its original mount on the fender down to where the other rivet was on the outside. Bolted it in place on both ends. Used the remaining piece from that bracket I cut off and bent a 90 on it and mounted from the inside rivet place to the base where the battery tray mounted. IIRC, I need to move the degas bottle when installing the york, and I'll worry about that when I get to it. This took like 15 minutes to do and is solid till I get to the york.

Now I can say that part is done for sure. I'll put more finish pics up when I get a new phone and figure it out..

Old 02-11-2012, 06:31 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
looks great man, i love the enclosed boxes. that truck should crank much easier now! i know it made a HUGE diff on mine

-cutts-

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks cutts. Yes, it cranks real fast. Seems weird, its cranking so fast it seems like its cranking more before it fires for some reason. Probably just me and need to get used to it, I don't know. I just know it really does spin a lot faster.

I'm gonna need my pickup this week so that is one of the reasons I had to get it done now. The coolant filter head is mounted. I need to get some antifreeze and didn't want to go to get it. I have to drive 25 miles or so to get to a parts store for what I want and wasn't in that big of a hurry as it was mid afternoon saturday(today) anyway. Winter has been so nice up here its not had the down time it usually gets for me to work on it so I'm not sure when the york will get on.. Normally we get at leas 3 if not 4-5 months of snow, this year we have none and the ground isn't even really frozen.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Thanks cutts. Yes, it cranks real fast. Seems weird, its cranking so fast it seems like its cranking more before it fires for some reason. Probably just me and need to get used to it, I don't know. I just know it really does spin a lot faster.

I'm gonna need my pickup this week so that is one of the reasons I had to get it done now. The coolant filter head is mounted. I need to get some antifreeze and didn't want to go to get it. I have to drive 25 miles or so to get to a parts store for what I want and wasn't in that big of a hurry as it was mid afternoon sunday(today) anyway. Winter has been so nice up here its not had the down time it usually gets for me to work on it so I'm not sure when the york will get on.. Normally we get at leas 3 if not 4-5 months of snow, this year we have none and the ground isn't even really frozen.
yeah same her in mo where i am we have had 7 tents of snow and this time last year we had a storm drop 2 foot! but has been a good year to get all the work done out side you would want

Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice job on the battery box and wiring. I reviewed the pics a couple of times and couldn't really tell looking on a lap top, but is there ventilation to the box, I've heard that battery gasses need ventilation so you don't have explosion.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks Rich. Ya, there is ventilation, there are 5-6 little holes in the bottom, plus the door lets a little air around the edges when closed.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Dad is going to town today and will get my antifreeze, advance has the peak fleetcharge mentioned in the antifreeze thread below in stock. I however decided to change all my radiator hoses, as they are all original. Preventative maintenence I guess you'd say. Nobody has them in stock of course, so I ordered some gates hoses from oriellys, they will be here wednesday. I guess no coolant filter today then, but soon.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You do know that O'riellys lower hose doesnt have the hose to the degas bottle you have to buy it sep.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Ya, I ordered all 3 gates hoses. Could have gotten them cheaper at napa, but not gates and I guess for some reason I like them. Motorcraft were even higher priced..

Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Ya, I ordered all 3 gates hoses. Could have gotten them cheaper at napa, but not gates and I guess for some reason I like them. Motorcraft were even higher priced..
What did all the hoses run you Darin?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
1 hundred bucks. I think napa brand was like 30 bucks cheaper, but this is what I wanted.

Quick Reply: Battery relocation done. Coolant filter done with pics. York prep started.