6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The time has come for an updated "Spicer" test of Diesel Fuel and popular additives

Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 AM
'08FX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb The time has come for an updated "Spicer" test of Diesel Fuel and popular additives

I'm starting this thread as a place to discuss the need/desire for an up to date HFRR test using various diesel fuel treatments available, and a baseline diesel fuel.

First Let's Start a list of the various Diesel fuel additives we'd like to see tested.

1. Motocraft*
2. Stanadyne Performance formula
3. Optilube XPD
4. Power Service
5. Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
6. ???

The original test is 5 years old now.

Do we want to use the same type of diesel fuel stock used in the original test? It was untreated raw ULSD. With a HFRR scar rating of approx 632. Do we want to use fuel from various locales fuel stations?

Please everybody who cares at all contribute their opinions on what we want to find out exactly?*

What about the effectiveness of the demulsification properties of these additives, I think that would be worthwhile info. Not sure if they'd be able to give us that data, but it doesn't hurt to find out. Cetane increase? Etc

I suggest that anyone who wants to contribute, and be involved read the information to help come up with a comparison and contrast type opinion of what we are all after in this new test as far as information and it's meaning to us.*

It seems as though most of the manufacturers of the additives used in the last test helped to defray costs- I'll pursue that as well.

I suggest we keep the the brands of additive's to be tested limited to ones we are likely to use, or are currently using. Not a just for the hell of it let's see what brand X would do- the test isn't cheap so let's not be frivolous-*

Sorry I dropped the ball since the first time I mentioned this, had I gotten it started sooner, we'd be that much further along in the process than starting from Zero- but nevertheless we may as well get started on it.*

So let's have thoughts on what we want to learn in the new study, I'll keep track of and tabulate the ideas/requests, then we'll review the list together and make changes as deemed fit.

In the meantime, I'll be attempting to contact the "Southwest Research Lab" to see what it'll cost and what the timeframe involved is.

There is one concern I have about this. The test that was originally done and is widely referred to here and on many other forums is copyrighted material. I'm not sure how that affects a new test being performed. Obviously I don't intend to copy, or plagiarize the previous test in any way; however I'm still concerned that it could be construed that way, thoughts on that?

I never was able to contact the original organizer of that test through the other forum, I sent a PM to Spicer through the other forum back on Dec 4th, no reply, and he hasn't posted there in quite some time. So that's a bit of a dead end.

So who's game?....

Last edited by SteveBricks; 02-05-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Removed pay pal link and list of donations
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Im in!

I would like to see Stanadyne lubricity formula tested again. I think the formula has changed since that test. Anybody know of a so-called teflon additive out there that is compatible with new diesel engines. Curious to see the scar numbers on that stuff if it exists. And YES fuel from real gas stations like Shell, and maybe a convienence store like shamrock or loaf and jug. Our L and J runs out of diesel every week. Also, I dont know if additives vary from state to state, maybe that is why the 1st spicer test went with raw untreated diesel to make it fair.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 AM
'08FX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrjc
I would like to see Stanadyne lubricity formula tested again. I think the formula has changed since that test.
I've added it to the list of test subjects in the OP.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Howes Diesel Treat
I realy like this stuff and used it in prior vehicles.

Howes Diesel Treat will help prevent your diesel fuel from gelling in cold weather and correct the inherent problems caused by ULSD fuel. Howes Diesel Treat replaces the lost lubricity and compensates for lower BTU’s by improving combustion, resulting in more power and better MPG’s.
Howes Diesel Treat demulsifies or displaces water out of the fuel, leaving only pure fuel to burn. As the vehicle moves and agitates, water is easily removed by the water separator.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Great idea. I would like to know how effictive the fuel additives are. I use the FordMoCo additive.

ken

Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
When do you want to complete the test? I'm ore than willing to contribute to cost and also help. AFTER I defend my thesis in March I'd be more than willing to help research or write test proposals f you need help.

I think you have some goodadditives so far. I have some friends on the lab here who are starting the process to certify biodiesel for use on the AF and I will ask them a few questions.

I'm willing to help with cost and man hours.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I'm also very interested in this one. I think that we should separate "winter" additives that are also anti-gel such as Howes Diesel Treat and PS Diesel Fuel Supplement from their summer counterparts Howes Meaner Power Kleener and PS Diesel Kleen.

Furthermore I like the idea of testing pump fuel but one of the big concerns I always had was what would additives do to protect us from completely untreated fuel, which is what the Spicer test did. So I would also recommend obtaining "virgin" fuel to test as well.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1. Lubricity effectiveness.
2. Performance gain. I think the terminology is Newtons? Anyhow, it would be good to see what each additive offers in the area of thermal units, if they provide more power and allow more energy from each gallon.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 AM
jim48
Elder User
Great Idea!!

I've used Power Service (White and Grey) for 9 years. However, I'd sure be open to switching to an additive that shows it is better. Of course we have to determine what specifically needs to be in the additive first. I only have 11,000 miles on mine so far.

Jim

Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Count me in.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 AM
mach8274
Tuned
I'm in as well. I have been using the PM-22-A additive since the 2nd tank. Dealer filled the first and I doubt they put any in. Very curious to which is better.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
'08FX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by mach8274
I'm in as well. I have been using the PM-22-A additive since the 2nd tank. Dealer filled the first and I doubt they put any in. Very curious to which is better.
This is a good point, because I think I remember reading in one of Heck-Rat's posts about a recommendation from Bosch that the first fuel run through the pump had some kind of additive in it to assist in the "seating of the vital parts. I don't think we can ever confirm or deny that happened in any of our trucks without some kind of confirmation from Ford, which I doubt we'd be able to obtain. Thanks for the input so far- I'll sit down and make an update to the OP in a few minutes, I have to go help my neighbor with a ladder first.

Great to see all the interest. FTE rocks!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ill chip in as well.

Leo

Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
jim48
Elder User
It's too bad Ford can't work with us to understand the fuel systems on these trucks. I know that will never happen, it would indicate Ford was aware of the "operation parameters" of the fuel system from the beginning.

We used to have problems with the Pratt and Whitney engines on the P3's until the factory found out the specific needs of the turbine oil. Once that was done we are still flying the same plane 40 years later and basically the same engine in the C130.

If we can figure out what the needs of the 6.7 fuel systems is at least we can do our best to comply with it. I know there will be fuel differences but perhaps we can get closer to the system's "operation parameters".

We have some really great guys here, I'm glad we are going to give this a shot and see if we can't figure out how to address the fuel/fuel system. If we don't try I'm pretty sure Ford isn't going to give the impression of knowing a weakness even exists.

Let's get on with it and help ourselves. Knowledge is always a good thing!!

Jim

Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
GZip
Senior User
Add the Xtreme Diesel Performance products as well. They were not yet produced at the time of the first test.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The time has come for an updated "Spicer" test of Diesel Fuel and popular additives