Got my Baby back tonight! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Got my Baby back tonight!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Jakebrake has a good reputation on FTE.Jakebrake has a good reputation on FTE.
Got my Baby back tonight!

On January 2nd while I was headed out for vacation my trusty F350 died. I got it back tonight and she purrs like a kitten now. Actually, she purred like a kitten before she broke. The STC fitting on the back of the HPOP ( a known issue with Ford 6.0's) failed and that is a mountain of work to repair on a 6.0 PSD. While the mechanic was in there I elected to do some extra stuff...here is what was done besides the STC kit; Installed BulletProof Diesel upgraded EGR cooler, installed new EGR cooler hose, installed new upgraded Ford oil cooler, installed upgraded fuel pressure kit (blue spring), new standpipes and dummy plugs, new o-rings throughout high pressure oil circuit, hot tanked the intake manifold, new turbo oil supply and drain tube, new IPR valve, new ICP sensor, new EBP sensor, new degas reservoir and cap, sent the FICM to Ed at FICMRepair.com for overhaul and upgrade, new FICM mounting grommets...and I think that covers it. It is nice to have it back...I took it for a drive for an hour and noticed a few things while driving down the highway. Fuel economy has definitely improved a bit...I will know more when I take a longer trip...but it seems to be up about 1+ mpg. Either it is better control of the high pressure oil/injection timing or the FICM that is responsible...at least that is what I am thinking. Also, the ECT and EOT spread is a few degrees less. It was usually around 5 to 7 degrees at 70 mph on flat ground and now it is about 2 to 4 degrees. I actually saw 192 on coolant and 194 to 196 on the oil...ambient air temp was 42 degrees. I never had a problem with my old oil cooler and always had a good temp spread...even when pulling a grade or with a trailer in tow. The new Ford oil cooler is still prone to plugging as the old one is, but it supposed to be about 10% more efficient. Also, the new EGR cooler is probably less restrictive to coolant flow...looking at the difference between the two construction wise. If you ever need automotive work done in Fallon you can rest assured that KD Automotive will do a good job, and charge a reasonable price, and they know Ford diesels very well. They (owner and mechanic) were very accommodating as far as allowing me to ship stuff off (FICM) to be upgraded, and waiting for me to order the EGR cooler and other parts. The owner is a friend of mine and a fair person...I recommend him to everyone that asks me about a good repair facility and he has always done them right. Anyway...I am glad to get these upgrades done...I was going to do them myself later this year...just ended up doing them sooner than expected.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 AM
Postmaster

King-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant future
Glad to hear all seems well now & you should have alot less to worry about for quite some time
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Awesome! Glad you got your truck running better than new!

I myself plan on doing a similar build with a 6.0 one day, but gotta take care of house and home first.