Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for First time tower - 04 X 4x4 6L Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
"X"inToronto
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom - Thanks for that on the TW. I'll definitely get it weighed! Also, going to rent a trailer from U-Haul to work on that "R-ing"

Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
"X"inToronto
New User
Anyone got a good recommendation for an good but not too expensinve Back Up Camera?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
"X"inToronto
New User
Originally Posted by j4henry
Firestone 2251
Thx! Looks like i can get some used V/B springs, so will go that route.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
01F-250/04ex
Freshman User
I tow perfectly fine with stock excursion and basic weight distributing hitch. If I had to do all that work to tow I would buy a different rig. Driving habits must be the problem, I watch people every day towing overloaded trailers like they are formula one cars. The most important thing is slow down, slow down throttle inputs, steering inputs, brake inputs, plan ahead, don't tailgate, watch the road and traffic flow as far ahead as possible not 5 feet in front of your hood, check your mirrors regularly like every 15 seconds so you know what is going on around you. Maybe it would be good to go to the DMV and get a CDL test book and read the basic driving section, for that matter re-read your class C manual once in a while to refresh on driving guidelines and rules of the road. We all develope bad driving habits and should refresh our memory once in a while, I do every December just for good sake and recommend my family do the same. I just can't believe all the suspension upgrades are needed, everyone I know with a pickup or excursion have done nothing to them and have never had problems.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM
"X"inToronto
New User
Originally Posted by 01F-250/04ex
I tow perfectly fine with stock excursion and basic weight distributing hitch. If I had to do all that work to tow I would buy a different rig. Driving habits must be the problem, I just can't believe all the suspension upgrades are needed, everyone I know with a pickup or excursion have done nothing to them and have never had problems.
Thanks for sharing! How much weight are you towing?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
[QUOTE="X"inToronto;11378040]Hey j4henry - What brand of airbags did you use? Approximate cost? Thx[/QUOTE]

If you do go down the route of air bags, we also offer a rear kit for your Excursion. Here is a link to the manual for kit [URL="http://www.airliftcompany.com/manuals/MN-431_57340.pdf"]57340[/URL] which is designed for the rear. The kits typically run around $250 from our retailers, and controllers are about the same price as well.

If you have any questions about air bags in general or specifics about our kits or controllers please let me know, I would be happy to help.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM
01F-250/04ex
Freshman User
Originally Posted by "X"inToronto
Thanks for sharing! How much weight are you towing?
The travel trailer is like 7000 pounds but have towed up to 11000 trailer with tractor. Setting up the hitch is important and proper tire inflation from the tire sidewall not the door jam sticker. Brake settings are important too, but again I just use a basic reese control and take time to fine tune every time I hitch up. It just takes time to get the right feel for you and like I said before just take it slow to develop that feel and you will be fine. The brake control and hitch come with detailed instructions so read and understand them and will help. I am a truck driver and have seen horendous wrecks with people just simply going too fast or improper hitch and set up of hitch. The physics of a pull trailer with the pivot so far back of the drive axle is the problem so the hitch helps move weight more balanced. The trailer will feel like it wants to push you in corners sometimes but don't over react just slow down easily. I would much prefer a fifth wheel or goose neck just for the weight being on the tow vehicle properly.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM
"X"inToronto
New User
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
If you do go down the route of air bags, we also offer a rear kit for your Excursion. Here is a link to the manual for kit 57340 which is designed for the rear. The kits typically run around $250 from our retailers, and controllers are about the same price as well.

If you have any questions about air bags in general or specifics about our kits or controllers please let me know, I would be happy to help.
Actually, i am interested in purchasing the air bags/controller, can i do that through you or can you put me in touch with a retailer that will ship to Canada within a few business days.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
j4henry
Senior User
Originally Posted by "X"inToronto
Actually, i am interested in purchasing the air bags/controller, can i do that through you or can you put me in touch with a retailer that will ship to Canada within a few business days.

Thanks!
So which are you deciding to do?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
[QUOTE="X"inToronto;11382574]Actually, i am interested in purchasing the air bags/controller, can i do that through you or can you put me in touch with a retailer that will ship to Canada within a few business days.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The best way is to visit our [URL="http://www.airliftcompany.com/dealer"]retailers[/URL] and compare prices on the kits for your truck. As for shipping to Canada I'm not sure on which are the fastest or if they all do, but I would assume most of our retailers do, particularly the larger retailers.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 AM
the ponz
Senior User
Having trailer tires with an "E" sidewall rating will make a big difference.
Max out the trailer tire pressure.

Consider reading the threads on the trailer forums concerning the installation of light truck tires on the trailer.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM
"X"inToronto
New User
Originally Posted by the ponz
Having trailer tires with an "E" sidewall rating will make a big difference.
Max out the trailer tire pressure.

Consider reading the threads on the trailer forums concerning the installation of light truck tires on the trailer.
Hmm, interesting. Will do.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have three (3) challenges facing you on your first tow of a very big trailer
1) Experience. Towing big is quite different and you won't know how to separate inexperience from suspension / wander / sway issues.
2) Excursion with more than 200K miles. There is lots of advice here on suspension upgrades, sway bars, etc. I agree with all posters except those that claim you don't need to do anything to the stock suspension. The bare minimum, in my experience, is to upgrade the rear sway bar and either put on rear air bags or RAS.
3) The trailer.
a) Hitch. I recommend a minimum of a Dual Cam hitch. Conventional WD hitches even with friction sway control are woefully inadequate. My experience was never good (towing stability) until I converted my trailer to a Hensley hitch in 2003. We are at almost 9 years with this hitch now (maybe 50,000 miles towing) and can honestly say it is a relaxing experience. I think the Dual Cam and similar hitches may also work. I know that the ProPride and Hensley WILL work. DO NOT assume that the RV dealer will know how to set up a hitch. Their main mission is to get you and your new trailer off of the lot.
b) Tires. The 2008 Sprinter 311BHS comes with 15" ST tires in Load Range D. I would not trust them. I now run 16" LRE LT (Light Truck) tires after many many problems with trailer tires. Trailer tires are built to ****-poor specifications. The RV industry is happy to buy cheap tires at low cost. Most customers only tow 1000 miles or so per year and usually the tires last for short duration trips. For long tows, however, ST tires cannot be expected to last. The DOT should be ashamed that they allow these things to be sold to an unsuspecting public. Unfortunately, LT tires cannot be had in 15". You may want to ask the RV dealer if 16" rims and LT tires will fit on your new trailer.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
"X"inToronto
New User
Thanks Forest.

Re Hitch - I've purchased an Equilizer 1400.

Re Experience - point taken. Will be going slow and steady.

Re X - buying air bags (so I can deflate and go back to smoother ride when not towing)

Re TT tires - thanks for looking onto the rating, will look into E rated w the dealer.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Lowboy44
Senior User

Just take your time and take nothing for granted. The X won't let you down

Quick Reply: Advice for First time tower - 04 X 4x4 6L Diesel