1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling an 80K semi from a stop up an off ramp.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Good question Tom. I'll have to give them a look as I know straps have a break strength 3 times of their weight rating, but I'll have to look and see. They are neatly packed away under the rear seat at the moment.

I've only used them once to pull a old submerged boat (no trailer) out of a pond.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
10,000 lb WLL or break strength? If it's a 10,000 lb WLL you have a 30,000 lb break strength. Unless you have some really crazy high-friction tires with a coefficient of friction higher than 3 I wouldn't think you'd be able to break a 30,000 lb break strength strap. You're not lifting the truck off the ground after all...
Yes, that's what I have. 30k break strength. 16' long. Also carry a 30 foot 4 ply 4 inch strap. But this was my reasoning that I posted earlier.
You're right, I would have never jerked with a chain. And I ALWAYS lay my tarp over the chain (I'll post some pics of me pulling some bushes out) but this time I didn't. The reason why is that my chain is 16 foot, I looped it through the receiver and he didn't have recovery hooks. So I had to loop it around his front I beam. There wasn't much length between his truck and mine. Therefore I figured if it snapped it was only hitting the pavement or the bottom of one of our trucks. I instructed him, his wife, my wife, and her mother to stay very far back or in the cab. Just so you know, I did think safety. Always number one I assure you. Had I needed to ****** him I would have used my strap. However I only use my strap when I know for sure it won't get cut or I HAVE to ******. Thanks for the post's fellas. I'm a former Duramax owner. I think they're good trucks. But not as good as this one!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny76
Yeah, but this is a FORD TRUCK ENTHUSIASTS FORUM! HAHA nobody gives a crap about a cummins. Good engines but he probably needed a major tranny overhaul when he was done. He pulled the semi out so the semi could get him to the Dodge stealership! HAHA good vid though. I love seeing trucks pull things!
Well, we all know the superior powertrain is a Cummins with an Allison.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Scooter70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a Cummins man. I have tried 3 of them in Big Trucks. I'll take a CAT any day and my most favorite is MACK. Wish I could squeeze one of them in my F250. Now that's diesel power.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
callmebobvilla
Junior User
I'm pretty sure I'd burn out my clutch trying to do that. Nice SD

Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Well, we all know the superior powertrain is a Cummins with an Allison.
Ok ok, hard to argue with that. But in a Ford truck! Weeee yah Except for the 7.3. I'm not sure. I like my 6 O and I've had no problems with it but the cummins and the 7.3's are both good and reliable power houses. I've had dodges and Chevy's and liked certain things about them. The dodges cummins are good but the rest of the truck is a POS. The chevy's duramax with an allison is hard to beat but the truck it self is weak and made for grocery getting. It's low and rides real nice, but ehhhhhh. Not the best hauling platform. My 6.0 takes maintenance and care that neither of them needed. However, pulling the camper it's hand down the best all around truck over my others. It really does pull nice and hard with a decent truck built around it. I really like it. That's all I'm saying. And pulling semi's in whatever you're in is fun as H E double ell.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Originally Posted by callmebobvilla
I'm pretty sure I'd burn out my clutch trying to do that. Nice SD
No, I'm pretty sure in 4 Low you would have eased out in granny and pulled him just the same. The only thing that may of hurt you was less weight because it's a single cab but your tires look quite a bit wider than mine so I think you would have done it. Even with a 5.4! Just kidding. But serious. With 1000 pounds of weight in the bed my father in laws 4 cylinder Tacoma might have done it in Low. Yours would have no problem.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Ok ok, hard to argue with that. But in a Ford truck! Weeee yah Except for the 7.3. I'm not sure. I like my 6 O and I've had no problems with it but the cummins and the 7.3's are both good and reliable power houses. I've had dodges and Chevy's and liked certain things about them. The dodges cummins are good but the rest of the truck is a POS. The chevy's duramax with an allison is hard to beat but the truck it self is weak and made for grocery getting. It's low and rides real nice, but ehhhhhh. Not the best hauling platform. My 6.0 takes maintenance and care that neither of them needed. However, pulling the camper it's hand down the best all around truck over my others. It really does pull nice and hard with a decent truck built around it. I really like it. That's all I'm saying. And pulling semi's in whatever you're in is fun as H E double ell.
I was being completely facetious. You couldn't pay me enough to own an Allison. The Allison is a pile.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Benny76
Tuned
I had an Allison in mine and have about 5 of them in Fleets at work. I love them. We have never had ANY problems out of them. In fact, we (or my POV included) haven't had any problems with the Duramaxs with 100k miles other than the Bio Diesel the govt insists on running through them without allowing us to put Cetane boost back in them. Now the trucks themselves...........POS's. Seats don't last. Dash boards squeak and rattle. Window regulators broken. Radios burnt out, A/C problems. I could go on and on. But I really like the Allisons. They have proven themselves to me. That's why I thought you were serious. And the Cummins, can't agree with you more on that. It's pretty tried and true with a POS truck and Tranny behind it.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Benny76
Tuned
I'm sure this will cause some people to either call me a liar, say I'm an idiot, or just call me plain dumb. But I was so excited about the pull that I didn't give it time to get into 4 Low. I reveiwed my in cab cam and my low light never came on. I told my father in law as I was pulling that it didn't feel like low range but I was so preoccupied with the guy not ramming into my truck that I didn't care, it was pulling it either way. This pull was in fact in high range.Hopefully my tranny won't smoke in 6k miles. However I do have extended warranty. Oh well. Believe it and be more impressed or jump in and say I'm full of it. I know what the truck did. : )

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM
SVTcobra44
New User
Sweet video!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:01 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I had an Allison in mine and have about 5 of them in Fleets at work. I love them. We have never had ANY problems out of them. In fact, we (or my POV included) haven't had any problems with the Duramaxs with 100k miles other than the Bio Diesel the govt insists on running through them without allowing us to put Cetane boost back in them. Now the trucks themselves...........POS's. Seats don't last. Dash boards squeak and rattle. Window regulators broken. Radios burnt out, A/C problems. I could go on and on. But I really like the Allisons. They have proven themselves to me. That's why I thought you were serious. And the Cummins, can't agree with you more on that. It's pretty tried and true with a POS truck and Tranny behind it.
I can't stand the way the Allison shifts. It is sloppy and the thing always feels lost. Not to mention if you add any power to those trucks the transmission isn't happy.

As far as the Cummins, people love them from the name. Don't get me wrong, a 6BT is not a bad engine, I think they are far over-hyped.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice video. I can say if that was me towing that semi with my truck, I'd be pumped up for days. I think every truck owner gets a charge out of seeing it perform.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I'm not a Cummins man. I have tried 3 of them in Big Trucks. I'll take a CAT any day and my most favorite is MACK. Wish I could squeeze one of them in my F250. Now that's diesel power.
I friggin Hate MACK, used to think they were cool, untill I worked on them all day. I guess I should love em, cause they pay the bills, but its gets repetitive and annoying, and I spend a lil time pondering the "what were the engeneers thinking" moments... Just my opinion, dont take it personaly... Stupid Bulldog's