Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke Mods Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jndinmo
I would be extreamely worried about it not having a air filter in it, does your dad remember the last time it had one? If it has been driven in dusty conditions for a long time without a air filter that could be a MPG issue. Your engine may be knockin on hevens door!!! No mod can help a engine that has sucked in a lot of dirt. I hope thats not the case.
I was just going to post something along those lines.

I have the same truck, but with 4X4. I go 400 miles on 25 gallons (16 MPG) in winter driving city/hwy, and 19.5 MPG hwy in warmer months. Exhaust is like the air through the truck - the last thing. Your intake is normally first on the list, as well as that fuel leak. Because you may have dusted your turbo, this puts verifying your turbo is OK ahead of the "usual" priorities. You need at least a temporary method to verify boost pressure before you take any more steps. No/weak boost? It will be a thirsty, smoky dog. A dusted turbo is a little expensive to replace and could put the rest of your modding on the back burner until you rebuild the cash stash.

You can see what I did to my 2000 in my sig below (with links). The exhaust will be last on my list, but it's there. AE is on my radar this month.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
fastblkford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked my dad how long it had been driven without the filter and he said only for a couple of weeks. He said he took it out b/c it was sucked up in the box and dirty as hell. If only driven for that long w/o the filter I'm guessing the turbo is still ok. When driving, I can hear the turbo wind up like normal and when shifting it sounds like there are blow off valves. Is this normal? The only time it has ever smoked is when I almost ran out of diesel and it sucked bad fuel through the lines. When I filled it up, it smoked for a couple of minutes, as well as having no power, then stopped and ran fine. I have had friends in the past with the same truck but with different engine that have installed chips and was like a totally different truck. As far as the exhaust goes, I read an article about the cat but after looking, didnt see one. It also said to remove the muffler but I don't think I will exploit that route, rather install a more open exhaust. All of your help is greatly appreciatex as I want to learn as much as I can about these engines.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM
fastblkford
Junior User
Is hypertech worth the money??

Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Bpayton
Senior User
I ran into a situation that the 6637 made my truck run worse. I was getting smoke out the pipe when I wasn’t before with a stock filter & box. I talked with Jody at DP Tuner about this and he said the 6637 Filter actually flow less air then the stock Filter.

Wix 46637 and NAPA 6637 air filter= 425 cfm
Stock style filter for stock air box= 640 cfm
<O</O
<O</O
I have since installed a AFE "Big Boost" BHAF Washable Filter and it flows 850cfm.<O</O
<O</O

Since installing the new filter I have not experienced the big smoke cloud I had before and my EGT's don’t shoot up as fast.<O</O

Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
fastblkford
Junior User
I went to Home page and they have several different air intake kits as well as the tymar kit. Not sure which one to buy lol. Also ordered a new o-ring kit for the fuel bowl. Was wondering, the truck starts and runs fine so buying new plugs can probably wait? Anoyher question someone may be able to answer is whenever I hit my brakes there is a loud thump under ther driver side of the truck. I looked and dont see anything that is loose or that has been rubbing. Kinda baffled on this one. This is going to be an ongoing project for me and all you guys help will be needed!! I am used to working on the 5.4 in my wifes expedition that has that all too common clatter on the driver side lol. Thanks yall!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM
fastblkford
Junior User
If you go to my garage i posted a pic of where the fuel has been blown everywhere. Take a look and tell me yalls opinions please.

Last edited by fastblkford; 02-02-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Insert pic
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by fastblkford
...Was wondering, the truck starts and runs fine so buying new plugs can probably wait? ... I am used to working on the 5.4 in my wifes expedition...
Are you referring to not needing the glow plugs because it starts and runs fine?

Originally Posted by fastblkford
Another question someone may be able to answer is whenever I hit my brakes there is a loud thump under ther driver side of the truck. I looked and dont see anything that is loose or that has been rubbing.
You didn't mention which brake. The parking brake has a bracket under your feet. If it has too much slack, it can slap the floor when you activate it. Superduty brakes 101: The fronts and rears are disc, with double-piston calipers. The parking brake is a drum/shoe style. The first thing one thinks is "Tugly, you've hit your head on something." The rear brake is a rotor for regular brakes, with a drum hub for the parking brake.

Check out that Ford AIS, I like mine and I have read about many others liking theirs.

I went with the DP-Tuner chip for a reason, as did many others here (look at the signatures at the bottom of our posts). It's a custom chip. You have to wonder why so many members with the answers have custom chips like DP and PHP.

You are asking about a lot of mods. Might I suggest you approach one at a time and have all your questions answered at a digestible pace. The subject of chipping alone is worthy of a novella, but we're getting good at condensing it.

Superduties are not entirely unlike BOATs (Break Out Another Thousand), but my experience is much of what I want to do hovers in the $600 range per item. I paid as much for my transmission alone as the purchase price for my used Toyota Corolla 5 years ago. I don't know what your budget is, but "Stinky" chewed $12,000 in mods, repairs, and upgrades in the first year of ownership. I still have to get the analyzer and a 4" exhaust, but I'll be done modifying in about 6 weeks.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Bpayton
I ran into a situation that the 6637 made my truck run worse. I was getting smoke out the pipe when I wasn’t before with a stock filter & box. I talked with Jody at DP Tuner about this and he said the 6637 Filter actually flow less air then the stock Filter.

Wix 46637 and NAPA 6637 air filter= 425 cfm
Stock style filter for stock air box= 640 cfm
<o</o
<o</o
I have since installed a AFE "Big Boost" BHAF Washable Filter and it flows 850cfm.<o</o
<o</o

Since installing the new filter I have not experienced the big smoke cloud I had before and my EGT's don’t shoot up as fast.<o</o

I don't buy that BS for a second. There are guys running 5-600hp trucks with the 6637. No issues. There are TONS of people here running it from stock to chipped, to minor mods, with no issues.

I don't believe the filter was the issue.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Bpayton
Senior User
Not lies fact.

Worked for me. Changed it, egts were lower. No more smoke. Jody have talked at length on this subject. He has had more people then just myself report the same problems.