Sponsored by: Moser

2009 F150 with leaking tranny only when sitting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Bowhunter2001
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 F150 with leaking tranny only when sitting

I have a 2009 F150 that when I came home from Cabo Monday, had a big puddle of fluid under the truck. I took it to Ford and they said it was some type of bolt on the tranny that is nationally backordered for who knows how long. They topped off my fluid and told me I would be good to go till the part comes in. So a $50 charge on my Platinum extended warranty and out the door till part comes in.

Anyone heard of this problem? Just want to keep the dealer honest.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't heard of it but I would like to know more details: what bolt? part number? If it's on national backorder, does this mean it's a common problem?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Bowhunter2001
Senior User
He said it was a common problem. I don't have any #'s. I really didn't understand what he was talking about except it was a part associated with the tranny and he said a bolt of some sort.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM
REDFORDFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bowhunter2001
He said it was a common problem. I don't have any #'s. I really didn't understand what he was talking about except it was a part associated with the tranny and he said a bolt of some sort.
It is called the bulkhead connector it is not a bolt, It is where the wires run into the tranny. There is a TSB dont recall the #. My Dealer did mine back in Dec. No charge. Need to take pan off to replace with new Oring type connector.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
FORDSVTPARTS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by shotgunz
That sounds like the one. It's become common on the 09s, but is a fairly minor repair. The only downside has been the parts are tough to get right now

Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Bowhunter2001
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
That sounds like the one. It's become common on the 09s, but is a fairly minor repair. The only downside has been the parts are tough to get right now
I have 77K on the truck and have the premium warranty with $50 deductible. Since it isn't recall, do I still have to pay the $50?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
FORDSVTPARTS
Former Vendor
I have 77K on the truck and have the premium warranty with $50 deductible. Since it isn't recall, do I still have to pay the $50?
That particular TSB does not appear to give any extention to the warranty coverage so since you're into the ESP I believe you'll have to pay the deductible.

Keep in mind though, I'm just a parts person so it might not hurt to talk to your service advisor for a definitive answer.

-Steve

Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Bowhunter2001
Senior User
That's what it was. They replaced it today and the truck wouldn't start. They said they adjusted pin 10 for fit and it now starts.
Do you think this pin will give me any problems down the road or not?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 PM
BigMightySam5600
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same Issue, However I noticed my trans was leaking on a very very cold day after the vehicle had not ran for a day. Which lead to my thoughts being the connector is/was the weak link in the bulkhead and fluid vented through that weak point and out onto the crossmember, I'm no fluid viscosity or dynamics expert but thars ma 2 cents.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Had the same thing happen on mine. I bought my truck off of a used car lot, and a week or two after I brought it home it (the transmission bulk head connector) was leaking. I called the used car dealership, and they told me that that truck was under 60K miles so it was still in warranty. They even offered to take it to a Ford dealer for inspection and repair. Which they did. The Ford dealer verified it was a bad bulk head connector and the parts would take like 30 days to come in. I thought that sounded like quite a while, so I called another dealership that sells Fords and Chevys on the same lot. I just recently bought a new Impala from them, and I wanted to see how good their service department was. Well they found like 60 of them in a regional Ford parts depot, and received the part and installed it later on in the week. Since the truck was in warranty, I did not have to pay for the bulkhead connector, the transmission fluid, or the labor. But since they had to drop the pan to replace the bulkhead connector, I paid for a filter kit, so they could replace the transmission filter too. I figured it made since to turn it into a transmission service while they had the pan off, and dropping the old fluid anyway. I think the moral of the story is that the 2nd dealership was actually interested enough to check around for the parts. Next time I am looking for a vehicle, I know where to start!

Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 PM
siserbluehorse
New User
I have a 2007 and because of a Torrington Bearing in the transmission failure, cause the entire transmission to be burnt up, it started out a whining noise, change fluid and filter, was better, but very shortly after started a little slip in OD, has 121,000 original miles, and it is costing me $2,500.00 for to rebuild, including torque converter, as a mechanic (retired) myself I can't believe the entire trannie is gone with just a small slip, but that's what they told me, and that this is a VERY COMMON problem in these trucks, they have 6 with same problem in their shop now....would love some feedback especially from any Ford dealer/technician, etc., if this is a recall problem, bought the extended warranty, but haven't drove it 1,000 miles for it to kick in, of course, mad Ford owner

Old 01-16-2016, 03:03 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by siserbluehorse
I have a 2007 and because of a Torrington Bearing in the transmission failure, cause the entire transmission to be burnt up, it started out a whining noise, change fluid and filter, was better, but very shortly after started a little slip in OD, has 121,000 original miles, and it is costing me $2,500.00 for to rebuild, including torque converter, as a mechanic (retired) myself I can't believe the entire trannie is gone with just a small slip, but that's what they told me, and that this is a VERY COMMON problem in these trucks, they have 6 with same problem in their shop now....would love some feedback especially from any Ford dealer/technician, etc., if this is a recall problem, bought the extended warranty, but haven't drove it 1,000 miles for it to kick in, of course, mad Ford owner
2009-up has a 6R8O.--this is a 6 spd. 08-Back has a 4R70W.-----this is a 4 spd. two very different transmissions. both transmissions are very good

Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM
PackerTaz
New User
Yeap, 2009 F150. Same thing happened at around 110K. Watch Youtube video on how to change it. Wasn't that hard.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:35 AM
siserbluehorse
New User
Originally Posted by brokenleg
2009-up has a 6R8O.--this is a 6 spd. 08-Back has a 4R70W.-----this is a 4 spd. two very different transmissions. both transmissions are very good
thanks for your input brokenleg, well AAMCO Transmission fixed mine, and I asked to keep all the parts, which they did, and the Torrington Bearing was blowed to pieces, and they had 6 in the shop with same problem as mine, newer ones included, don't know what years, but they rebuilt it to the tune of $2,600.00 but is warranted for 1 year or 1,000 miles, I took it back by their request at 300 miles and they rechecked it to make sure everything is good, and it was, by the time this warranty is over the extended warranty I purchased will kick in, so I'm good now for several years, yay, but I did see with my own eyes that Torrington Bearing all to pieces, I just couldn't believe it with only 121,000 miles, but they say this is a very common problems in the Ford trucks, if I had a trannie pull I would have done it myself, but I'm retired now, and don't have the proper tools anymore, I hope all my feedback helps anyone in need.....Kim

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 with leaking tranny only when sitting