1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Happy 50th Birthday 1962 Ford trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Dandy_Dave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy 50th Birthday 1962 Ford trucks...

Here's mine, an F-250 4 wheel Drive. Tested Ford tough, Still runs, drives, Plows a little snow around the driveway, and stops even. 272 powered with a 4 speed standard trans. Yup, it's got Charactor. Dandy Dave!

Last edited by Dandy_Dave; 02-01-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Fix photos.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is, out and and out, one of the coolest slicks I have ever seen! I absolutely love these old trucks that are multicolored
make-ups of many other vehicles...and it's a working truck, not just some garage queen that only sees the light on sunny
show days getting polished with a diaper. Start it, drive it, work it. Your photos even make me miss the east coast winters
I grew up in, where you get into the car and sit on that cold vinyl while you try and crank the engine over.

Jason

Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM
DCClark
Junior User
Nice to see them working for sure! Glad it's still kicking and serving you well, hopefully many years in the future also!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
50 years, dang! Here's mine.....F100 4x4, 262, 4 speed and converted to the later "right" box. Mostly just used around the farm, it doesn't get much love.....

Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Dandy_Dave
New User
Originally Posted by CropDusterMan
That is, out and and out, one of the coolest slicks I have ever seen! I absolutely love these old trucks that are multicolored
make-ups of many other vehicles...and it's a working truck, not just some garage queen that only sees the light on sunny
show days getting polished with a diaper. Start it, drive it, work it. Your photos even make me miss the east coast winters
I grew up in, where you get into the car and sit on that cold vinyl while you try and crank the engine over.

Jason
We have not had much snow here at all this year, But I did start the old Ford yesterday just to keep it moving. I've owned this truck for more than 30 years and pieced it together back when I first got it. The lower half of the cab was from a south western truck that was in a roll over. My uncle ended up with it some how and salvaged the motor. He gave me the bent cab, (The tan parts.) And I gas welded my original roof to it. (The green parts.) The original cab was badly rusted and the running board steps were non-existant. The lower half of the cab had very little rust, but I do see a few holes now where mice have built nests inside of the lower door posts where the running boards meet the steps. When I saw what was happining, I did remove the nests, but I have not patched the holes because I figgure the little cusses may just come back and try to do it again. The original price I paid for the truck 30 some years ago was $500. It originally had a 223 and a 3 speed on the tree. The motor started to knock after driving it for a few years, and I was given a motor from a 1955 F-750 Fire Truck. It was a 279 (1952-55) and had a 5 speed over drive Clark standard trans that I dropped in it. I ran that motor and trans for about 10 years until it threw a rod one winter while plowing snow. I then had a big old 1958 or 59 F-800 or so series Dump truck that had a 312 in it. That truck was smashed in the front. That was the next motor I dropped in it. It was tired and only lasted a few years before it gave up. The 272 and 4 speed that is in it now came from a 1958 F-600 Dump truck. I pulled that motor apart and went though it before I put it in the old 62 F-250. I did NOT try to start it and run it before I pulled it apart, and that was a good thing, as upon removing the heads, I found a valve head had popped off and was laying on one of the pistons. Luckily the truck was never run that way. I did a valve job on the heads and went though the rest of the motor and found it was in very good condition. The 272 is closer to the V8 that would have come in a 62 Ford F-250 anyway. Other parts on the truck were for the most part given to me though the years. The Dump I rescued from a 1936 ford truck Chassies that we had on the farm years ago. Thinking back, My old 1962 Ford was in a wreck once about 20 years ago. I was headed south on Rt 9H, and right next to George Hildebrants Trucking Garage, a car ran a stop sign and pushed me under one of his trucks that was in the north lane, stopped and waiting to make a left in his yard. It was a tractor trailor with a flat bed. The old F-250 slid against the trailor and the trailor wheels snapped my front axle right off and banged up my truck on the driver's side. I did find a parts truck with the right ratio front end after a lot of riding, and put the old Ford back together again. If there was ever a truck with 9 Lives, this is it. Thankfully, it has earned it's keep and lives a much easier life these days. I just push a little easy snow with it from time to time. When the snow is heavy and deep, I move it around with my backhoe first. Dandy Dave!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Dandy_Dave
New User
Originally Posted by tinman52
50 years, dang! Here's mine.....F100 4x4, 262, 4 speed and converted to the later "right" box. Mostly just used around the farm, it doesn't get much love.....

Your sheet metal looks real good. It is nice to see another one of these early Ford 4X4's out there that still runs. Dandy Dave!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
bunchoftrucks
Senior User
Just plowed snow this morning here in Colorado Springs with my 64. Mine looked almost that rough until last Sept when I did a cab/front end swap from a truck I founf on Cl. It sure is nice to have a floor in the truck since now it gets really warm inside with out the wind blowing through the holes.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Dandy_Dave
New User
Originally Posted by bunchoftrucks
Just plowed snow this morning here in Colorado Springs with my 64. Mine looked almost that rough until last Sept when I did a cab/front end swap from a truck I founf on Cl. It sure is nice to have a floor in the truck since now it gets really warm inside with out the wind blowing through the holes.
I remember those days. When I first got the old 62, the steps were completely rusted away. The cold and snow would come right up though the floor boards, and steps when I went down the highway. You could not dress up and go out to the local waterin hole to look for chicks, as the wheels would throw road mush at you. .......... Dandy Dave!