Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

VA's Official February 2012 chat/BS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave804
Let me tell y'all about something that just happened. Should be cathartic for me, and hilarious for y'all.

I almost nodded off driving home from test #1. Figured I'd stop and burn through this starbucks gift card I've had in the glove box. I forget sbux reminds me of everything I hate about humanity. Pulling into the parking lot, there's a lady parking a smart car in the space in front of me. Well, really two of the spaces in front of me. Climbs out and asks me what kind of mileage I get. I engage full troll face and say "if I'm having fun it gets down to about 10." Walk away before she can start giving me lip. Hold the door for her, she goes in and orders some mythical elf elixir with 35 steps. When I order the cashier grunt asks if I want some tree donation crap. Parking lot woman says "he doesn't care about the earth."

Meanwhile, the lobby is filled with rejects from some local version of the view, and potential craigslist murderers. The chairs were filled with guys in various stages of sleazy and obese. All attempting to dress like hipsters, but in cheap clothes. Using tablets to do god knows what. One table was some girl crying. Final table is two middle aged women dressed in workout clothes. Look like a couple people that run an unauthorized Fergie fan club. One is talking loudly, angrily, in a Jersey accent about how she doesn't understand how her thermostat works. The other one begins talking about issues with her lover, then says "It's like he turned into my husband. I might as well not be cheating."

At this point I lol'd and the barista has to hid her face. I get my drink and run like Pheidippides to my car. Pissed off woman, who now that I think about looks like the headmaster from Matilda, is getting into her roller skate. She's got a mastiff chilling in the front seat. She's snarling at me, so I decided maybe she just needs a friend. I called "you and your sister have a nice day" and got into my earth-wrecker.

I hate coffee.

The sad part about this is these people who think they are doing so much for the environment with their smart cars and hybirds don't realize that the carbon foot print they created by building that car is more then the foot print from one of our trucks or SUV's. They would have to drive that vehicle for close to 20 years for it to basically be effective. The best thing to buy and drive is some old 4 cylinder corolla that was built in the 90's. Best MPG vs Carbon footprint on the market. I read about this about a year ago in a WIRED magazine article and at the end of it all they said so go ahead and keep driving your trucks and SUV's because when you get right down to it it works out to be pretty close to the same carbon footprint in the long run.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Hardy har har....funny beeches in here!!!

Spent the morning doing laundry, cleaning dishes, taking off that skirt. Got a call from the wife around 11am "I desperately need my checkbook at school...it's in the drawer in my nightstand. Will you bring it to me?" Her school is 22miles...one way. That sucked. Just ate lunch. Read up on y'alls posts. And MIGHT find the movtivation to go sand the nail holes I filled yesterday. Why do these projects always take twice as long as you plan for?

Well at least you got the skirt back off after trying it on!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, look who finally showed up! Howdy Chandler! You are learning first hand it is better to hide on FTE than try and do anything, it's a lot less frustrating!

Great story Dave! I love the misguided folks who think they are saving the planet by driving a fancy golf cart... the energy and raw materials needed to to build the stupid things (especially the batteries) blows away any alleged benefits to the environment.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Yep. It's cheaper to buy, drive, own the 6cyl civic than the hybrid.

If I fit better, and hated my life, I'd drive a 94 Camry all day, every day. Runs on tap water and hope. 4billion mpg, cost like $4 a year to own.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Yep. It's cheaper to buy, drive, own the 6cyl civic than the hybrid.

If I fit better, and hated my life, I'd drive a 94 Camry all day, every day. Runs on tap water and hope. 4billion mpg, cost like $4 a year to own.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Well, look who finally showed up! Howdy Chandler! You are learning first hand it is better to hide on FTE than try and do anything, it's a lot less frustrating!

Great story Dave! I love the misguided folks who think they are saving the planet by driving a fancy golf cart... the energy and raw materials needed to to build the stupid things (especially the batteries) blows away any alleged benefits to the environment.

That is the thing is they never think about or pay attention to what it did to the environment prior to them buying it. Some people are so sad!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
DSLCHIC
Senior User
Hello all, finished the blackbird. I think this is gonna look really good in my son's room once I get the decals on it and it's completely dry. :-)

Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Coskid
Hah, which part got you?

A good, good friend of mine has one. Actually a fairly well optioned car. A/C, auto, striped seats. We use it to run around in the summer and go on local trips like King's Dom. Going to atlantic city last year with 4 people, luggage, and triple digit 4am speeds we pulled 34mpg.

Last summer he finally got into learning how to work on his car. I show up to help him with a radiator, and he's wearing an eating grin. I look, and he's printed a label and stuck it over the A/C Toggle switch. Said "TURBO." Had me

Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Nice, Belinda

Dave, you ought to visit Tree hugging, green movement Ithaca, NY. And the coffee shops. You'd have a lot of fun, or end up in jail. But, that's OK, I know the sheriff.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM
ReedRepower
Senior User
what I want to know is where do you recycle them plastice and batteries at???
and if you wreak the the little eco car,the hasmat spill is worse then the gas and oil

Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Evenin' Virginia!

Finally found a place nearby to shoot

Fairview Meadows Preserve

Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
ReedRepower
Senior User
Originally Posted by DSLCHIC
Hello all, finished the blackbird. I think this is gonna look really good in my son's room once I get the decals on it and it's completely dry. :-)

Looks good

Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
x2, very nice. My model planes and cars never seemed to turn out good. I always seem to use too much glue

Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Originally Posted by GLR
Nice, Belinda

Dave, you ought to visit Tree hugging, green movement Ithaca, NY. And the coffee shops. You'd have a lot of fun, or end up in jail. But, that's OK, I know the sheriff.
Hah. I know the Peta founder lives in Norfolk. She's on my 'if I had one week to live' to-do list. Along with take pcp and get on COPS.

Originally Posted by ReedRepower
what I want to know is where do you recycle them plastice and batteries at???
and if you wreak the the little eco car,the hasmat spill is worse then the gas and oil
Haha yea. When I heard about hydrogen cars that was my thinking. "single vehicle crash at walmart parking lot- all of NoVa eliminated." And wasn't there some hoopla a year or so ago about the batteries being out of warranty now. Huge replacement costs. I know I had a guy at Chesterfield Auto Parts laugh and tell me they'd gotten their first Prius in. So lets see, you bought a new car, had it and parts shipped all over the world. And now, some corporation will have to find some mid west town to illegally bury the batteries under.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM
ReedRepower
Senior User
So lets see, you bought a new car, had it and parts shipped all over the world. And now, some corporation will have to fund some mid west town to illegally bury the batteries under.
there I fixed it

Quick Reply: VA's Official February 2012 chat/BS thread