1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Love some suggestions. 1952 ford f3 build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love some suggestions. 1952 ford f3 build.

Hey there all,
I'm new to this so don't laugh when I know just the bare essentials.

Bought a 1952 Ford f3 running and driving flathead v8 . Now I'm deciding what route I want to take ...

I want to stick to mostly original except , I am mainly wondering since its an f3 (3/4 ton) it's geared really low and what I was thinking is to:
1. Swap the carb for a 4 barrel edelbrock carb
2. Swap The heads for edelbrock heads
3. Do different exhaust and headers

With that I would also like to change the gearing of the rear diff. To allow for more speed and not such a low gearing ratio.

Is this possible has anyone done this or does anyone have any suggestions on what to do so I could get some decent performance yet keeping it still the origonal motor, whether swap in an f-100 rear diff or what .

This is just one of the many things I'll be thinking about during this build and everyone's help and suggestions about anything and everything would be a great help!

Thanks .

Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Hi, we've all been there at one time or another.

It's all very do-able. My 48 F1 has run similar mods since '01.

Just be careful with your 4 bbl. 390 cfm is all that a stock flathead can inhale due to the restricted breathing. More than that risks high fuel consumption, washing cylinder walls with excess gas, poor performance from running rich, etc, etc.

The half-ton rearend swap would give you two bolt patterns. Look for a lower ratio rear from a 57-72 F250 - still have 8 bolt wheels, but with better road gears.

Tube headers are fun, but don't add much without changing cams, but there's not much wrong with the 52 cam. Avoid cast iron Fentons - they don't fit around the steering gearbox.

Head swaps are good but if you have EAB heads, the compression ratio is similar to some of the aftermarket heads.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by mtflat
Hi, we've all been there at one time or another.

It's all very do-able. My 48 F1 has run similar mods since '01.

Just be careful with your 4 bbl. 390 cfi is all that a stock flathead can inhale due to the restricted breathing. More than that risks high fuel consumption, washing cylinder walls with excess gas, poor performance from running rich, etc, etc.

The half-ton rearend swap would give you two bolt patterns. Look for a lower ratio rear from a 57-72 F250 - still have 8 bolt wheels, but with better road gears.

Tube headers are fun, but don't add much without changing cams, but there's not much wrong with the 52 cam. Avoid cast iron Fentons - they don't fit around the steering gearbox.

Head swaps are good but if you have EAB heads, the compression ratio is similar to some of the aftermarket heads.
So would you go with doing a rear end swap, keeping the same 4 speed transmission? or would you just take the transmission I have now in and get it rear geared for better road speeds ? Thats really what im trying to figure out if I can just use what I have and modify the gears to make it better suited for the road and run some engine mods like heads and four barrel carb to give me decent speed nothing crazy but something that would be nice to drive.

Thanks for the help any information helps for sure.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi and welcome to FTE.

there have been lots of posts recently about upgrades to F-2 and F3 trucks. try Google search (since the search feature here does not work well) for topics regarding F-3 trucks and rear ends etc. should get you lots of reading. having said that I know a lot of people look at swapping in a Dana 60? from 60's era F250 (don't quote me on the exact years but google should help or someone else will narrow the dates down for the exact year range that's the right width) that way you maintain the stock 8 lug wheel pattern.

having read a few books about Flatheads there is no doubt that flatheads don't flow real well as compared to modern engines. I would say do the headers and maybe a different carb and intake could help? but probably not really going to do much for performance. I think the Edelbrock heads are probably in the range of 8.5:1 compression ratio vs your stock 6.8 or 7.2?
you could just shave your stock heads or EAB heads (verify clearances and boost your compression that way?

I would look at swapping in a dana 60 and for sure getting rid of the 4 speed non synchro trans and opt for a T98 or other easier shifting trans

also the first thread on here "READ FIRST" has lots of helpful tips and links to info and how-to's etc. including how to post pictures of your new truck for us to see

Someone will be along with better and more info shortly.

Josh

Edit; Ok So Tim and I are on the same track lol he's just a faster typer... Oh and your pictures showed up while I was typing looks like a nice solid start. and possibly 5 star cab option as well, Stainless windshield trim?, 3 piece hood trim, dome light? arm rests on door? drivers door lock?

what heater does it have?

I think I have or had the f-3 5 star hood trim if you need it. I'll have t double check.

oh and one more thing, Whats that white powdery stuff on the fender? looks suspicious...

Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome! Looks like a decent start to a nice project. You're half way ahead of most of us here by having your truck running. Don't tear into it too fast. Most guys that just buy a truck get ambitious and tear down. Then, years later, it's still in pieces all over your garage and outside the house. Maintain the truck and keep it running. It'll tell you what it needs. I concur with at least replacing the rear end with what has been suggested. It's an easy weekend swap. I'd then go through the entire brake system, fuel and electrical. These trucks are simple to work on. Get yourself a manual immediately. It will become your best friend. Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I also have a set of the F3 5 Star Extra Cab (deluxe) moldings if Josh doesn't have any (I have extra spears to make the set complete).

I also have a set of used F-O-R-D letters that go on the latch panel below the hood and a used V8 emblem that goes on the hood emblem on the front of the hood.

EDIT: I'm not sure on the wheels, are they widowmakers?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Hi and welcome to FTE.

there have been lots of posts recently about upgrades to F-2 and F3 trucks. try Google search (since the search feature here does not work well) for topics regarding F-3 trucks and rear ends etc. should get you lots of reading. having said that I know a lot of people look at swapping in a Dana 60? from 60's era F250 (don't quote me on the exact years but google should help or someone else will narrow the dates down for the exact year range that's the right width) that way you maintain the stock 8 lug wheel pattern.

having read a few books about Flatheads there is no doubt that flatheads don't flow real well as compared to modern engines. I would say do the headers and maybe a different carb and intake could help? but probably not really going to do much for performance. I think the Edelbrock heads are probably in the range of 8.5:1 compression ratio vs your stock 6.8 or 7.2?
you could just shave your stock heads or EAB heads (verify clearances and boost your compression that way?

I would look at swapping in a dana 60 and for sure getting rid of the 4 speed non synchro trans and opt for a T98 or other easier shifting trans

also the first thread on here "READ FIRST" has lots of helpful tips and links to info and how-to's etc. including how to post pictures of your new truck for us to see

Someone will be along with better and more info shortly.

Josh

Edit; Ok So Tim and I are on the same track lol he's just a faster typer... Oh and your pictures showed up while I was typing looks like a nice solid start. and possibly 5 star cab option as well, Stainless windshield trim?, 3 piece hood trim, dome light? arm rests on door? drivers door lock?

what heater does it have?

I think I have or had the f-3 5 star hood trim if you need it. I'll have t double check.

oh and one more thing, Whats that white powdery stuff on the fender? looks suspicious...
Thanks for all the food for thought here . Exactly what I was looking for . That 60s Dana I'll be checking out throughout the day today . The transmission I'm still torn on . Is it possible to keep the one I have it just wont shift smoothly im just trying to where possible keep origonal parts of I can . I will def read up on that t95 as well and see what I can dig up .

As for the emblems I believe I have them all I have the two hood side trims for sure in great condition and a bunch of other chrome pieces in a box just ready for my to go through and see what I have .

The truck cab and front end are in great shape . Running boards have a few issues might opt out with those and buy some new ones from a guy here local . Then there's the box it needs some work. The tail gate as well. Might try finding a better set used then what I have now . The guy put plywood in there to cover the hardwood and the plywood held the moisture and started to rust the box . We will see how it looks when I take the fenders off it looks like they got it the worst !

Thanks for all the help I'm sure these forums are what I'll be getting by with that and my first purchase will be a damn good Manuel do you reccommend any ? Haha .

Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Welcome! Looks like a decent start to a nice project. You're half way ahead of most of us here by having your truck running. Don't tear into it too fast. Most guys that just buy a truck get ambitious and tear down. Then, years later, it's still in pieces all over your garage and outside the house. Maintain the truck and keep it running. It'll tell you what it needs. I concur with at least replacing the rear end with what has been suggested. It's an easy weekend swap. I'd then go through the entire brake system, fuel and electrical. These trucks are simple to work on. Get yourself a manual immediately. It will become your best friend. Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I also have a set of the F3 5 Star Extra Cab (deluxe) moldings if Josh doesn't have any (I have extra spears to make the set complete).

I also have a set of used F-O-R-D letters that go on the latch panel below the hood and a used V8 emblem that goes on the hood emblem on the front of the hood.

Thanks again,

See now since I'm new to this I'm not sure exactly how I should start . I'm getting my research done now in the next month or so before summer then should I, start by repairing my body work fender by fender and setting them aside as I start to tear it down to the frame . Or should I get all my engine performance my diff swap , do that and get everything mechanically running good and smooth then tear it down for the frame up resto. What do most people do eventually I'm going to do it all, but since the trucks running should I get it all ready then take it out so when I go to put it back together all I have to do is drop it in. I'm sure there's many ways of going about it but what do you suggest ?

As for the trim I have all that the only thing I need I believe is the front F O R D logos I have all but the O or the D can't remember haha.

Thanks again. These forums will be my savior , haha

Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Looks like a very nice unmolested truck. Think long and hard about how much you want to cobble it. Remember, it is only original once. Remember too, these were not meant to be high speed drivers, just workers.
And welcome to the forum from an old guy who likes them stock.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
What kind of friends are you guys? You take all the fun reply pointers and leave me with the bad news!

Ok, yes, those are "widow makers". All 2wd F-3s and early F-250s have 17" wheels, and they are widow makers. The only exception would be if Mattie2294's truck at some time in the past got Chevy/GMC "AR" wheels swapped on, but they don't look like it in the picture. This gives Mattie2294 something else to do a Google search on. Besides the "widow maker wheel" search words you'll also want to search the technical name which is "Firestone RH-5°". The wheels are very dangerous, and you probably won't find anybody to service them today for insurance, lawyer, and general safety reasons.

Replacement wheel options exist. Here's an old thread that goes into the discussion pretty well. You'll also find other threads when you do your Google search. The subject has been covered pretty well. Replacement wheels will be much easier to find since your truck is a '52 which already has 12" rear drums. And any Dana 60 you find will also have 12" drums that allow use of garden variety 16" F-250 wheels. Keeping the use of your hub caps will require either the 16" period F-2 wheels, or the 17.5s or 19.5s mentioned in the thread.

Also, I'll add my welcome. Glad to have you hanging around, and glad to see another F-3 being saved. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...9-ford-f3.html

Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Before you rush out and get that F-250 rear end, here's another option to consider. Since the wheels are going to be a problem you might want to go with a 57-72 F-100 rear. It has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern and wheels would not be a problem. For the front, F-1 brakes and hubs bolt to the F-3 axle so you could have 5x5.5 all around...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by raytasch
Looks like a very nice unmolested truck. Think long and hard about how much you want to cobble it. Remember, it is only original once. Remember too, these were not meant to be high speed drivers, just workers.
And welcome to the forum from an old guy who likes them stock.
Yeah your quite correct . I wanna stick with what I can origonal the only things I want to change is a 4 barrel carb , some aftermarket heads , 4.11 hear ratio in the rear end . Get different rims and tires but keeping the same style of rims rest I'm trying to get back to as original as possible specially the interior . Those old trucks really to me being young are the coolest things I've ever seen so hopefully I can do a good job at keeping what I can origonal .

Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
What kind of friends are you guys? You take all the fun reply pointers and leave me with the bad news!

Ok, yes, those are "widow makers". All 2wd F-3s and early F-250s have 17" wheels, and they are widow makers. The only exception would be if Mattie2294's truck at some time in the past got Chevy/GMC "AR" wheels swapped on, but they don't look like it in the picture. This gives Mattie2294 something else to do a Google search on. Besides the "widow maker wheel" search words you'll also want to search the technical name which is "Firestone RH-5°". The wheels are very dangerous, and you probably won't find anybody to service them today for insurance, lawyer, and general safety reasons.

Replacement wheel options exist. Here's an old thread that goes into the discussion pretty well. You'll also find other threads when you do your Google search. The subject has been covered pretty well. Replacement wheels will be much easier to find since your truck is a '52 which already has 12" rear drums. And any Dana 60 you find will also have 12" drums that allow use of garden variety 16" F-250 wheels. Keeping the use of your hub caps will require either the 16" period F-2 wheels, or the 17.5s or 19.5s mentioned in the thread.

Also, I'll add my welcome. Glad to have you hanging around, and glad to see another F-3 being saved. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...9-ford-f3.html
Yeah that's sort of my plan to find some old style rims but yet still beable to have a little wider tires though that's kinda going against the style of these old trucks it's one thing I want to do . I will be restoring the old wheels and keeping all the origonal parts just in case I wish to put them on for a show or at a later date in time . As for rear diff I think I've decided to change out the gears for a 4.11 gear ratio and go with a 4 barrel carb , new heads and air filter all edelbrock in thinking . From what I hear that will keep me mostly stock still but giving me the power and gearing to go highway speeds of need be since this vehicle will probably be babied and barly highwayed anyways . Still got more pricing and planning to do then hopefully get lots ordered come spring here an get a move on things .
Thanks all for your help really does make a difference .

Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Before you rush out and get that F-250 rear end, here's another option to consider. Since the wheels are going to be a problem you might want to go with a 57-72 F-100 rear. It has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern and wheels would not be a problem. For the front, F-1 brakes and hubs bolt to the F-3 axle so you could have 5x5.5 all around...
Yeah I was considering that but there are next to no f3 ford builds so I'm deciding to order new 4.11 gears from chucks trucks . And take that route

Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In case you're not aware, the F2-F3 front fenders, bed, tailgate, rear fenders and running boards are different than on an F1. None of the aforementioned parts are available in reproduction, unlike for the F1. Think twice before you cut or destroy something when removing, especially the body parts. If you're thinking about replacing some of those parts, you'll need to find good originals. The good news is that all front fenders from a 51-52 F2-F6 are the same and all running boards, rear fenders, bed and tailgate are all the same from 48-52 F2-F3.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
In case you're not aware, the F2-F3 front fenders, bed, tailgate, rear fenders and running boards are different than on an F1. None of the aforementioned parts are available in reproduction, unlike for the F1. Think twice before you cut or destroy something when removing, especially the body parts. If you're thinking about replacing some of those parts, you'll need to find good originals. The good news is that all front fenders from a 51-52 F2-F6 are the same and all running boards, rear fenders, bed and tailgate are all the same from 48-52 F2-F3.
Yeah I found that out mighty quick . It's good that the cab and those parts are mostly useable from the f-100 . The cab , hood , and front fenders are in really good shape . The box, and running boards are repairable for sure with a little word the fenders and tailgate those I'm in the hunt to find good originals . There's alot of parts for the f-100s but there are alot of them compared to f-300s that's why this build is a little more unique . Even if I can find a box and tailgate and running boards in good condition I would think about scraping mine and just going with those but im sure those parts will be a dime a dozen and hard to find.

Quick Reply: Love some suggestions. 1952 ford f3 build.