1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Love some suggestions. 1952 ford f3 build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
57-67 F100 rear end is a direct bolt on. 68-72 F100 rear end will need to have the spring perches modified slightly (from what I remember reading). Both are 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

57-72 9" rear end is tried and true, so I wouldn't search for anything else. You can then convert your front to brakes and hubs from an F1, which also has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and you're set.

I have two pairs of F1 front brake assemblies if you're interested. However, shipping will likely be a killer due to the weight.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
57-67 F100 rear end is a direct bolt on. 68-72 F100 rear end will need to have the spring perches modified slightly (from what I remember reading). Both are 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

57-72 9" rear end is tried and true, so I wouldn't search for anything else. You can then convert your front to brakes and hubs from an F1, which also has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and you're set.

I have two pairs of F1 front brake assemblies if you're interested. However, shipping will likely be a killer due to the weight.
Thanks alot for the layout!

Now its on, the search for a 57 to 72 rear end and a front brake assembly! Probably have to look for a parts truck within those years. Or maybe just maybe get lucky and find one already taken out for me.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattie2294
Thanks alot for the layout!

Now its on, the search for a 57 to 72 rear end and a front brake assembly! Probably have to look for a parts truck within those years. Or maybe just maybe get lucky and find one already taken out for me.
Take your tape measure. The nine inch you want is about 61 1/4 inches wide from wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Mator
New User
Question

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Welcome! Looks like a decent start to a nice project. You're half way ahead of most of us here by having your truck running. Don't tear into it too fast. Most guys that just buy a truck get ambitious and tear down. Then, years later, it's still in pieces all over your garage and outside the house. Maintain the truck and keep it running. It'll tell you what it needs. I concur with at least replacing the rear end with what has been suggested. It's an easy weekend swap. I'd then go through the entire brake system, fuel and electrical. These trucks are simple to work on. Get yourself a manual immediately. It will become your best friend. Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I also have a set of the F3 5 Star Extra Cab (deluxe) moldings if Josh doesn't have any (I have extra spears to make the set complete).

I also have a set of used F-O-R-D letters that go on the latch panel below the hood and a used V8 emblem that goes on the hood emblem on the front of the hood.

EDIT: I'm not sure on the wheels, are they widowmakers?
Do you still have these hood emblems and if so are you still willing to sell them and how much for them

Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Well it has been quite some time since I posted in the thread. I found out quite quickly that without a full out plan the project was going to be a mess so I stood back and have been putting together a plan for my build. Below is that plan what do you guys think anything I am missing or problems I might encounter with the following?

Thanks

For The Frame:

-Mustang || hub to hub front end, manual not power with 2 inch drop spindles

-4 link rear suspension with coilovers with a 2 inch drop to match the frontend

-Brake booster

-New brake lines

-New braided wiring from front to rear

-New master cylinder for disks all around

-The 1952 Merc rear end with disk brake conversion mated with my 1952 FordF3 transmission (both rebuilt)

-The Ford flat head V8 out of my 1952 Ford F3

-Frame to be powder coated black when complete and mock fitted

For The Engine:

-Engine rebuilt

-All braided lines

-New chrome radiator

-Two step fuel line 2x2- Flathead Ford (2 carburetors)

-Stromberg 97 Chrome Carburetor (times two)

-Mini Mohawk Air Cleaner (times two)

-Engine Rebuild Gasket Set

-Offenhauser Aluminum Heads

-Offenhauser Intake Manifold 2X2

-High Volume Oil Pump

-Stock Replacement Valves

-Valve Guides

-Ross Forged Pistons

-Cam Kit New Schneider 254

-Mallory Distributor

For The Exterior:

-Either brand new fibreglass fenders all around or steel ones that have beenfixed refurbished. Also wide 2” wider in the rear fibreglass is an option

-Ford front grill, hood and cab

-New Steel running boards with 2 black glossy step plates on each side

-Ford F1 new box and tail gate with the new hardwood

-Every decal and chrome emblem to be painted glossy black along with thebumpers and any other chrome accents.

-Signals lights and brake lights to be inset into the rear fenders.

-Black wheels possible size between 18-20 inches depending on what we canfit.

-Entire truck to be painted Pearl Cadillac white

For The Interior:

-Refurbish the seat and paint the seat frame

-Get the headliner and the side door panel pieces upholstered to match theseat upholstery

-Upholstery to be black with white stitching typical throughout the cabtheme.

-All stock gauges, heating unit, *****, and steering wheel.

-New glass all around

Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Pauluminous
New User
Those are some radical changes from when you first posted
you should have posted the $$$ with each item, you just might wanna take a step back

One thing from the list that jumped right out is the F-1 bed, the original is wider and longer. You'll probably run into some issues without decreasing the wheel base.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pauluminous
Those are some radical changes from when you first posted
you should have posted the $$$ with each item, you just might wanna take a step back

One thing from the list that jumped right out is the F-1 bed, the original is wider and longer. You'll probably run into some issues without decreasing the wheel base.
Oh yeah don't worry about that I have each item priced out and were sitting in the mid 30s to finish it completely.

I am going to be using a half ton chassis and rear end out of a 1952 Merc. That paired with a half ton Mustang || front end should solve that issue it will all be half ton dimensionally.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
My only commments from a glance would be
About using the stock transmission. Have you driven the truck with that 4 speed non synchro trans? If your ok with the double clutching then go for it.
Chromed radiator? Ive seen the new aluminum ones but didnt know about chrome?

Also someone was talking recently about some mini air cleaners and a problem they were causing? Cant remember the specifics though.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
My only commments from a glance would be
About using the stock transmission. Have you driven the truck with that 4 speed non synchro trans? If your ok with the double clutching then go for it.
Chromed radiator? Ive seen the new aluminum ones but didnt know about chrome?

Also someone was talking recently about some mini air cleaners and a problem they were causing? Cant remember the specifics though.

I have driven it a few times but since were going all out already I have opted out for a T5 transmission with overdrive to be paired with a 3.73 new rear end on my frame, and the hot rodded flat head. Yes aluminum was what I was referring to. However I have done up a sketch and found that it has to be a black radiator to go with my color scheme since it will be shown through the grill.

Heres what my sketch and photoshoped version of my finished product will hopefuly look like.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Hopefully keep my F3 Build Thread up to date as I continue ahead with my plan that I finally have finalized..