A few questions about my vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:43 AM
ldst
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions about my vacuum lines

Hello all,
I have a few questions about my 68' f100 with 360.
I you look at the attached pic you will see 2 items that I ccircled in red ,,,,, Can yall tell me what they are and how they work

#1 does not have a vacuum line going anywhere it just dead ends at that plastic doohiki from the pcv valve?

it runs pretty good as is but has a little hesitation sometimes when you get on it. thanks in advance for your help,,,, Man this site is awsome

biger pic

Last edited by ldst; 02-01-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Bubba, Ya gots to work wid us a little, I got a few miles on me and don't see as good as I once did. You recond you could link something other than that tiny thumbnail?

John

Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't see much from your low-res photo, but there's only one vacuum line on a standard transmission 360...it connects the vacuum can on the front of the distributor to port vacuum on the carb with one small vac line. If you have a stock Motorcraft carb, the port is on the left front of the carb as you look at the engine/carb. An auto tranny has another line from the tranny to the vacuum tree on the back left of the manifold, but yours look like it's a standard? If you have power brakes, don't think so from your pix, there is a line from the power brake booster to the same vacuum tree. The hose on the oil cap, driver's side front, hooks up to your air cleaner. The PCV valve/hose runs from the oil cap on the rear of the passenger side valve cover to a big port on the back of the carb/intake spacer, or the back of the carb itself if you have a Holley carb. It'll run punky with the dist. vac line off or the PCV system not connected right.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
ldst
New User
posted biger pic,, sorry

Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a cheby or mopar guy got under your hood now that I can see your photo. Let's start with the rear PCV line/valve on the back of the passenger's side valve cover...that hose connects to the big port on the back of the carb spacer. The other big line in your driver's side oil cap connects to the air cleaner. The front vacuum line coming off the distributor goes to the carb, left side near the choke or under the front if you want to use manifold vacuum. The line coming off the top of the vacuum can/distributor can be hooked up to the vacuum tree on the left rear of the intake manifold (close to the PCV valve/cap but down on the manifold). You should also have a vacuum line coming from your tranny and hooked to the vacuum tree on the left rear of the intake manifold. What I can't figure out from your photo is the line that comes up from the back of the carb, over the choke and through the rear red circle...WTF? Where is that hooked to? Also looks like top vacuum line coming off the top of the dist./vacuum can is hooked to the left, bottom of the carb? If it is, disconnect it and put it on the vacuum tree, then connect the front vac line off the distributor to that port on the carb. Maybe telling us what lines you have and where they start and end will help make sense of all the lines/hoses in your photo.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM
ldst
New User
Originally Posted by tmcalavy
Looks like a cheby or mopar guy got under your hood now that I can see your photo. Let's start with the rear PCV line/valve on the back of the passenger's side valve cover...that hose connects to the big port on the back of the carb spacer. The other big line in your driver's side oil cap connects to the air cleaner. The front vacuum line coming off the distributor goes to the carb, left side near the choke or under the front if you want to use manifold vacuum. The line coming off the top of the vacuum can/distributor can be hooked up to the vacuum tree on the left rear of the intake manifold (close to the PCV valve/cap but down on the manifold). You should also have a vacuum line coming from your tranny and hooked to the vacuum tree on the left rear of the intake manifold. What I can't figure out from your photo is the line that comes up from the back of the carb, over the choke and through the rear red circle...WTF? Where is that hooked to? Also looks like top vacuum line coming off the top of the dist./vacuum can is hooked to the left, bottom of the carb? If it is, disconnect it and put it on the vacuum tree, then connect the front vac line off the distributor to that port on the carb. Maybe telling us what lines you have and where they start and end will help make sense of all the lines/hoses in your photo.
What I can't figure out from your photo is the line that comes up from the back of the carb, over the choke and through the rear red circle...WTF? Where is that hooked to?,,,,,,,,,, That line is going to the plunger /actuator thingy behind the choke to that 2 port thing comming off the motor beside the thermostat housing. the other line coming off that 2 port thing doen not go any where other that dead ended with that plastic restrictor looking thing in the top circle,,,,,,,,,,,,I have no clue what that is and it has vavuum all\beit very small vacuum

Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 PM
ldst
New User
tmcalavy wrote
Also looks like top vacuum line coming off the top of the dist./vacuum can is hooked to the left, bottom of the carb? If it is, disconnect it and put it on the vacuum tree, then connect the front vac line off the distributor to that port on the carb.

it apears to be hooked up just the oposite,,,, I will change those 2

Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Mashed Pwntato
New User
Ok, so I have this exact engine, and it seems like you may be having the same issues I used to have a little while ago as far as hesitation. I want to ask you though, does the hesitation only happen when you take off from a stop light (a dead stop)? And has it ever just fully died on you when trying to take off from a dead stop?
Now to say, in the circle to the right, you circled two vacuum lines. The unit there is called your vacuum advance. And the line coming off of it coming directly toward us in the pic leads back, behind the carb. I will try my best to provide pictures of my engine to highlight those lines:

Ok so here's a front look at my engine:

And here's my best attempt at highlighting the vacuum lines from a side view (luckily i had this pic :P). Anyways, the Red arrows point to the vacuum advance line, and where it ends. Yellow arrows point to the PCV valve and the vacuum line for the PCV valve. Green arrows point to...I believe that it is an unnecessary emissions vacuum line from the exhaust manifold. And lastly the Blue arrow points to a line that was for emissions but was cut off and plugged with a bolt/screw:

And here's a link to the original side view pic for others to mark up if i messed up:
http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...cksEngine1.png

If I got any of these wrong please feel free to correct me. However, ldst please let me know if it has the problems i asked in the first part of my post because i have some ideas you can try.

Sincerely,
The Pwntato AKA Collin

Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM
ldst
New User
Originally Posted by Mashed Pwntato
Ok, so I have this exact engine, and it seems like you may be having the same issues I used to have a little while ago as far as hesitation. I want to ask you though, does the hesitation only happen when you take off from a stop light (a dead stop)? And has it ever just fully died on you when trying to take off from a dead stop?
Now to say, in the circle to the right, you circled two vacuum lines. The unit there is called your vacuum advance. And the line coming off of it coming directly toward us in the pic leads back, behind the carb. I will try my best to provide pictures of my engine to highlight those lines:

Ok so here's a front look at my engine:

And here's my best attempt at highlighting the vacuum lines from a side view (luckily i had this pic :P). Anyways, the Red arrows point to the vacuum advance line, and where it ends. Yellow arrows point to the PCV valve and the vacuum line for the PCV valve. Green arrows point to...I believe that it is an unnecessary emissions vacuum line from the exhaust manifold. And lastly the Blue arrow points to a line that was for emissions but was cut off and plugged with a bolt/screw:

And here's a link to the original side view pic for others to mark up if i messed up:
http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...cksEngine1.png

If I got any of these wrong please feel free to correct me. However, ldst please let me know if it has the problems i asked in the first part of my post because i have some ideas you can try.

Sincerely,
The Pwntato AKA Collin
No it never dies, just a hesitation when taking off from a stop and also while moving and romping on the gas peddle

Last edited by ldst; 02-02-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
jamesrl430
New User
Vacuum lines

Green arrows point to a line that had a metal coil around exhaust line to bring warm air into carberator while truck was cold.