6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tranny slips tuned not stock, what's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 AM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Tranny slips tuned not stock, what's up with that?

I'll try and keep this as brief as i can. 04' 6.0 with 34k on it. Has been tuned since about 20k first with Spartan tune and then with Innovative. Nothing crazy tune wise and shifting at 4k. I only have the problem when there is a tune in it and when the outside temperature is below 50. If i let the truck warm up for about 5 to 7 min i have no problems. If the truck is cold or doesn't warm up it will surge and slip when i pull away from the curb. I'll slowly pull away and the rpm's will rev up, with no added pedal input, and the tranny feels like it is slipping. If i put the truck back to stock program i have no issues what so ever. I never had this issue with Spartan's aggressive street and only noticed it with the more aggressive tunes. The filters and fluids were changed at 30k with minimial metal in the pan around the magnet.

Any help would be appreciated. I drive this truck on weekends and have never towed with it or used it as a "truck".

Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are certain tuners/programmers that can and will destroy the torqueshift tranny. The only one that I've seen recommended for the t/s is SCT. It could already be too late but I'd dump the tuner your using just based on your description of events.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would call Innovative and describe the problem to them. Has that tune always done that since you bought it?

Last edited by SteveBricks; 01-28-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Sorry should have noted it is an SCT with custom tunes. Old ones from Spartan and newest from Innovative.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 AM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I would call Innovative and describe the problem to them. Has that tune always done that since you bought it?
I installed the tune 7/10 so it ran fine at the time as the outside temps were high. It started in the winter when the temps dropped. The only things that seem to correlate are the cold ambient temp and the more aggressive tunes.

I did contact Innovative end of last year and they could not find info on the tune they sent me so i didn't push the issue and just made sure to let the truck warm up. However i've needed to have the turbo cleaned twice before because of letting the truck idle for periods of time when it was cold. So now that it's out of warranty i try to avoid any idling that's not 100% necessary.

Last edited by BGMSPD; 01-28-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If a clutch starts slipping in a car/truck should it be replaced or just driven lightly to prevent slipping?

If your tranny is slipping its time to have it rebuilt/replaced.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
If a clutch starts slipping in a car/truck should it be replaced or just driven lightly to prevent slipping?

If your tranny is slipping its time to have it rebuilt/replaced.
I appreciate your reply but why can i hammer it stock and no slip what so ever even cold with no warm up.
And when i let it warm up about 5 to 7 min, when programmed, and then hammer it no slip what so ever? That's what i'm trying to figure out. Could we be talking about a solenoid issue? No codes are being thrown. And again it's only got 34k on it. While i understand that a program could destroy a trans on day one, i have no issues with stock program and issues with more than one programmer's program.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Those Spartan tunes may have done damage, I found them to really shift like crap.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I agree that you should FIRST call/email Eric and ask him before you do anything else.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BGMSPD
I appreciate your reply but why can i hammer it stock and no slip what so ever even cold with no warm up.
And when i let it warm up about 5 to 7 min, when programmed, and then hammer it no slip what so ever? That's what i'm trying to figure out. Could we be talking about a solenoid issue? No codes are being thrown. And again it's only got 34k on it. While i understand that a program could destroy a trans on day one, i have no issues with stock program and issues with more than one programmer's program.
My tranny with 198k shifted fine pulled fine was like brand-new until I tuned it with the edge. Blew it in less then a week.

The bad tune(r) could have done damage that's beyond a solenoid.

My BEST advice I can and will give you about this, de tune the truck, bring it to ford and have them scan the transmission, have them go over it and see if they can find and signs of failure, slipping, or solenoids not working properly.

If it comes back good, leave it stock unless you can afford to replace the transmission. It cost me about $3,600 to have a reman installed in my 2006.

Obviously something is wrong though, a transmission shouldn't slip(at least one with less then 35k miles)

Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Wait, you're hammering on it before letting it warm up?

Heeere's your sign...

Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cartmanea

Heeere's your sign...
...... C'mon

Old 01-28-2012, 12:45 PM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by cartmanea

Heeere's your sign...
Ok let me rephrase "hammer".

When tuned, i used to remote start truck from my house and walk out the 50' to the street after the truck starts. Get in and pull away from the curb. Now if i don't let it idle first for the 5 to 7 min i have to idle down the street and not accelerate or the rpm's will rev up, without any added acceleration by me, and the tranny will seem to slip as it shifts.

Now if it's stock and i do exactly the same thing from the point of remote start, i can get in my truck cold, and accelerate to 30 mph letting the truck shift one or two gears no problem.

I live in a residential area and stay around the speed limit so when i say "hammer" i mean accelerate continuously until i hit about 30, sorry for the poor choice of words

I would agree if i put the pedal to the floor cold and my trans is shot i deserve that.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Definitely get a hold of your tuner. If it only happens when the tune is installed, it could have an error in the tune or have been corrupted through email.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 AM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
I was kind of hoping to hear from someone who had this problem as well. It's hard to believe that 2 different tunes from 2 different writers do the same thing at exactly the same time.

Quick Reply: Tranny slips tuned not stock, what's up with that?