Sponsored by:

Modified B Rear Springs OR Roadmaster Active Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 AM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Forest
I DID tow with B only. It towed fine. For me, the RAS were most useful to reduce 'wander'. RAS also reduced sag when towing.
So your saying that the wander was present with the B's and wasn't with the RAS installed?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadows4
So your saying that the wander was present with the B's and wasn't with the RAS installed?
Unloaded with Bs only, the Excursion still wandered more than I found acceptable. When towing, it really wasn't a prob. The RAS made both loaded AND unloaded quite acceptable.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Read this thread with interest as I was just about to order the ras and now I have to investigate air bags for our stock 05 Ex with rancho 9000's ...

will be towing about 10k and would like it to follow my lead

but don't want any lift if possible...

pricing ?
ras about $4 to 500 installed ?
v codes front ?
b codes rear ?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Unloaded with Bs only, the Excursion still wandered more than I found acceptable. When towing, it really wasn't a prob. The RAS made both loaded AND unloaded quite acceptable.
Now that's odd...with my Vs/Modded Bs, I dont have any wander - towing or unloaded.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
but don't want any lift if possible...
I think you will be out of luck there...pretty much any sring swap will give you lift since the stock front springs sag over time. You could get new stock front springs but you will again see sag and bottoming out after another 100k or so.

pricing ?
ras about $4 to 500 installed ?
v codes front ?
b codes rear ?
Don't know on the RAS...a V/B swap ran me a little over $4 since I didn't feel like waiting for a local shop to find me V/B take-offs. That's with doing the labor myself.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Thanks Robert.....

guess I need to find some v and b codes then....

what's the pro and cons of air bags versus ras
are they needed instead of the v & B code swap? or as some have hinted - all of the above ?!?

dang, just got a call from the svc guy we befriended -
thought I was getting a 29 footer, but the model # 293 fooled me into thinking it was 29' !!!
it's 34 foot long and gvwr of 9325 WOW need to get the ex ready and practice !

Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Thanks Robert.....

guess I need to find some v and b codes then....

what's the pro and cons of air bags versus ras
are they needed instead of the v & B code swap? or as some have hinted - all of the above ?!?

dang, just got a call from the svc guy we befriended -
thought I was getting a 29 footer, but the model # 293 fooled me into thinking it was 29' !!!
it's 34 foot long and gvwr of 9325 WOW need to get the ex ready and practice !
The RAS in my opinion is a great product for the price, but it is 'always on'...you can't really adjust it much. Air bags are more expensive, but you can use it on demand. If you tow constantly, then RAS would be a good idea, but if you do most of your driving unloaded, then RAS will still be working and lifting the rear end even when unloaded.

For me (I tow intermittently but use my truck daily), I think air bags make more sense...I can leave them at 10psi for daily driving, but when I get a call I can simply air up as I'm driving the final 1/4 mile to the station and I can hook up with pressure already in the bags to dial in level towing.

I think air bags give you more flexibility, but at an added cost. Like I said earlier...if you tow all the time, RAS is probably the best way to go, but if you use your Ex as a daily driver and don't want that rake and stiffness day-to-day, then air bags make more sense.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
ATTA BOY !

Makes perfect sense and solidifies my decision - now to find the right air bags !

Appreciate the insight as there a lot of choices:

Firestone Air Bags - Ride-Rite Suspension

Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
The RAS in my opinion is a great product for the price, but it is 'always on'...you can't really adjust it much. .
John, if you have a good amount of wandering the B codes are the way to go.

The Nice thing about the RAS is your ride does not get stiffer, some here have even reported a better ride. The lift at the lower setting was just under 1 inch.

My little bit of wander before the ras is totally gone.

I LOVE the fact that it DOES NOT need any adjustments after install. Install it and forget about it.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. You now are going to need Tow Mirrors, I will check my garage....

Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I think air bags give you more flexibility, but at an added cost. Like I said earlier...if you tow all the time, RAS is probably the best way to go, but if you use your Ex as a daily driver and don't want that rake and stiffness day-to-day, then air bags make more sense.
That's actually opposite of what most people that have had airbags post.

If you tow a lot, then use airbags. But if you only tow occasionally, the RAS is a better choice.

The reason being, while the RAS does raise the rear a bit, it doesn't affect everyday driving in an adverse way like airbags do.

With airbags, I've read you must keep a minimum of 10lbs of PSI in each bag while not towing. Unloaded, this causes the rear-end to ride stiff because the airbags resist increased load. The RAS absorbs increased load providing a better riding vehicle unloaded, plus it works really well when the vehicle is loaded with a trailer.

Stewart

Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
LivingLarge - DO look ! you

Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Now that's odd...with my Vs/Modded Bs, I dont have any wander - towing or unloaded.
That is the key. The modded Bs are stiffer and resist axle wrap. I was referring to un-modded Bs.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
That's actually opposite of what most people that have had airbags post.

If you tow a lot, then use airbags. But if you only tow occasionally, the RAS is a better choice.

The reason being, while the RAS does raise the rear a bit, it doesn't affect everyday driving in an adverse way like airbags do.

With airbags, I've read you must keep a minimum of 10lbs of PSI in each bag while not towing. Unloaded, this causes the rear-end to ride stiff because the airbags resist increased load. The RAS absorbs increased load providing a better riding vehicle unloaded, plus it works really well when the vehicle is loaded with a trailer.

Stewart
HUH! My experience with air bags was the reverse...

On my Expedition, I ran air bags inside of the coil springs in the rear. When not needed, I kept them at 10psi (minimum required) and could tell no difference at all in the rear suspension when driving unloaded.

When towing I'd pump them up to 50psi and it helped counteract the sag in the rear end.

RAS is always on with no real adjustment ability (well, no convenient adjustment)...I'm thinking if you added RAS to regular stock springs you supposedly get 3/4" to 1" of lift - meaning the RAS is working, even when empty, stiffening the rear end.

Add RAS to the already stiffer B code springs...even stiffer...all the time.

Add RAS to modded B's...stiffer still, with no way to 'relax' the RAS, since minimum spacing (roughly a quarter's width between coils on the spring) still raise even Modded B's - again, working all the time.

Has anyone driven with both (not at the same time) who can comment?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
That is the key. The modded Bs are stiffer and resist axle wrap. I was referring to un-modded Bs.
GOTCHA! I wouldn't think those two additional leaves would have made that much of a difference...but who knows!

Just curious...what PSI are you running on your tires?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HUH! My experience with air bags was the reverse...

On my Expedition, I ran air bags inside of the coil springs in the rear. When not needed, I kept them at 10psi (minimum required) and could tell no difference at all in the rear suspension when driving unloaded.

When towing I'd pump them up to 50psi and it helped counteract the sag in the rear end.

RAS is always on with no real adjustment ability (well, no convenient adjustment)...I'm thinking if you added RAS to regular stock springs you supposedly get 3/4" to 1" of lift - meaning the RAS is working, even when empty, stiffening the rear end.

Add RAS to the already stiffer B code springs...even stiffer...all the time.

Add RAS to modded B's...stiffer still, with no way to 'relax' the RAS, since minimum spacing (roughly a quarter's width between coils on the spring) still raise even Modded B's - again, working all the time.

Has anyone driven with both (not at the same time) who can comment?
Robert, on a coil spring (Lincoln ride) that would make sense. But a leaf spring (usually a much stiffer ride) the air bags have been reported to be stiff when EX is empty.

With the RAS even working at, lets say a one inch lift, it still makes your ride softer. Its like adding a mini coil in my opinion.

The minimum setting is actually the width of a dime.

I'm not saying what would be better for John, I am just posting my findings with the RAS.

If i would go with B's, I would re-install and add my RAS.
I have spent countless hours playing with the little wander i had. Found that it took multiple fixes for me to cure.

Tire pressure, adjusting steering box, rear sway bar, V code fronts, shocks, changing my alignment and found that the RAS was a great finishing touch.

Again, just my 2 Cents

Quick Reply: Modified B Rear Springs OR Roadmaster Active Suspension