1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2006 Expedition FPDM / Fuel Pump issue FIXED - pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:48 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know, this thread is from the graveyard... hehe..

But, I'm gonna be looking into this, and I was wondering. That Dorman part, does it stack up to the OEM? I've heard so much about Dorman that I'm not sure if I want to trust that brand.... Should I get a Dorman FPDM, or stick to the OEM Motorcraft one?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:16 AM
dmp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread saved my bacon; tons of frustration. Thank you, OP

Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 PM
dirt2race
New User
I have an 05' Exp, 158,000 miles. Would randomly not start, usually when the engine was cold and sometimes when it was warmed up. I replaced the FPDM, still did it. I replaced the fuel pump assy and fuel filter, still did it. I replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor, still doing it. It might go 2 or 3 days with no problems. It might not start for hours, then all of the sudden, it starts. Never dies if it starts and runs fine, sometimes it will start begrudgingly and just stumble around and never go. I am still getting the P190 and P191, fuel rail pressure sensor code which I am assuming is due to a lack of fuel pressure. I'm rarely at a loss of what to do when it comes to mechanical things. I am today. Has anyone gone through this as well?

Last edited by dirt2race; 01-18-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 01-19-2016, 12:46 PM
alloro
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Burnt fuel pump relay perhaps?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Eric m1
New User
Help me

I have been all over the net. I have the same fuel pump driver module problem. I can't find the module no where I'm my truck and have spent quit alot of time looking for it. I have a 2006 f150xl 4.2 litre v6 2wheel drive. My module is not located where all the web sites are saying on the cross member after I removed my spare that is no colross member resembling the one on all the web repairs for this issue. My truck bed cross member actually had my spare on it. Please some one help me find the module.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Eric m1
I have a 2006 f150xl 4.2 litre v6 2wheel drive. My module is not located where all the web sites are saying
This is the expedition/navigator forum so our locations might be different than yours. But I'll take a crack at it by posting the location diagram.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
FP Driver Locations.pdf (252.8 KB, 332 views)
Old 09-25-2016, 01:40 PM
E Sunder
New User
Awesome find

Was great to find this article

Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
I was lucky enough that my FPDM was not corroded yet when I took it out to inspect. So I cleaned it out, made sure the aluminum was in good shape and mounted it back with longer screws and some spacers. Now I will hopefully never have this problem..

Old 02-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Rusty ONeal
New User
Fuel Relay

I had the intermittent start. Ford dealer diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump. Put a new one in, the pressure sensor and the FCM and it didn't fix it. Found intermittent power at the inertia switch. It turned out to be the relay that was built into the fuse box. Tapped a generic relay into the feed going to the inertia switch and works great. Had to look hard to a fuse that was on with the key as you cranked but there was one in the box.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:38 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Rusty ONeal
I had the intermittent start. Ford dealer diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump. Put a new one in, the pressure sensor and the FCM and it didn't fix it. Found intermittent power at the inertia switch. It turned out to be the relay that was built into the fuse box.
That fuse box relay is a common problem that the dealer should've been more than aware of.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:05 AM
Rusty ONeal
New User
I should have learned my lesson. This is the 3rd different time the dealer has misdiagnosed the problem and I have had to take a day off to diagnose it myself.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 AM
tim_sully
New User
I have same issue 2005 EB Expedition
Crank no start and when it does it bogs them when your really lucky it will crank first try and run flawlessly.
Already replaced plugs. coil packs. fuel press module. Pump. Filter. And the latest was the ECM/PCM.... I bought it from a customer at the shop I work at we had previously replaced all the parts for her except the pcm. She decided to sell it. Smart me offered her 600 bucks she agrees bought a used pcm programmed it thinking I was the coolest kid on the block until I realized I had fixed nothing... I had been unplugging the middle plug on the module and it would seem to help with getting it to run faster than anything else I tried but maybe it wasn't. I have also taken the fuse box out to thoroughly inspect the hidden relays which all checked out just fine. Codes I'm getting are pointing straight at the fpdm however it's brand new. Fused all fine... when it starts but runs crappy I usually get a misfire on say #6 prior to pcm replacement but now it seems to be #7 more so...I'm at a stinking total loss at this point and know that my next and only step will be to check wiring power and voltage supplying the fuel system which had never been my strong suit. That is unless someone out there could do a brother a favor and please give me some help!!!!😬

Old 02-08-2017, 03:45 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tim_sully
. Codes I'm getting are pointing straight at the fpdm however it's brand new. !!!😬
Okay. I give up.
What codes are we getting?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 PM
tim_sully
New User
Too help the confusion I have attached a photo of the last codes pulled on solus scanner. I case the last one is not able to be seen it reads " FPDM offline". I find it strange that I have had these codes exist and not have a check engine ligh?
Took me 45 min to get it cranked at a job site last night
This morning the second try!!! Also while looking at the data from scanner I know now that this is a Fuel Pressure issue cause the readings for that where everywhere 50 downtown 2.5 lbs . Then when it gets ready it wil hold strong at 40-50 and drive cross country if u want ... the last two times I have ran it bout 3 hours or more without turning it off and have noticed when I do I can crank it up to 5-6 times every time ... no problems at all??? The plan I have next is to replace FP sensor on rail if no help then finally go through every wire related to fuel. Thanks for any help and support y'all might have...
Hope no one is confused now🙃

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
P1233 doesn't set the check engine light..

If the FPDM is new, it may be a faulty unit or it may be a bad pin in the connector. Check all and make sure it's properly seated and making good contact, as well as the FPDM itself being properly grounded in the chassis. If all this checks out, you need a wiring diagram to check the wiring between PCM and the FPDM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Expedition FPDM / Fuel Pump issue FIXED - pics