6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge Insight CTS and Battery Charger interaction

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Edge Insight CTS and Battery Charger interaction

I recently got an underhood battery charger, ATEC Model 9002.

When I use it overnight, the next morning when I unplug it and then start the truck, my Edge Insight CTS will make a beep and shut off. I then have to go through the whole Insight reboot process (unplug from OBD) and then it works fine.
Nights when I don't use it the Insight works as normal the next morning.

Charger has positive(+) red wire connected to positive (+) red post on passanger side battery, and negative (-) black wire connected to a near by local frame ground.

Any ideas anyone? I can't believe I'd have to unplug the Insight from the OBD each time I use a battery charger, or do I? Do you?

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats weird. I been having a problem with mine too right after the onboard charger install now that I think about it. I unplug the charger, start the truck, get the beep, & screen just black. Touch screen to turn it on & it does nothing. Have to unplug OBD & reinsert then it powers on. Enter & enter & everything is good. Im going to verify it tomorrow morning.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Special Ed
Thats weird. I been having a problem with mine too right after the onboard charger install
Hey Ed, glad I'm not the only one. Electricity is not my strong point so I thought I must have messed up something.

I believe you have a different charger than mine so it can't be a brand thing.

I'll have to check in with Edge tomorrow for an answer to this one.

Keep me posted if you find anything out and I'll do the same.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 PM
04scurs
Mountain Pass
I was just asking a friend with an 05 Ex a couple of days ago about this exact thing as I am experiencing the same what you describe. When i put my battery tender on the next time i start the Ex. i have to go through the same rebooting process descibed here.
I just did the CTS upgrade a month or 2 back and this never happened before when i used the bat. charger, i have only noticed it since the upgraded CTS version has been installed.
I guess my question is 'is it something with the new upgrade from Edge or?' Don't know if this helped or not.
Would be interested in finding out though.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the two beeps and a black screen with my CTS on the first start up each morning, having to unplug and plug back in. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with my on board charger.
The tech at Edge set me up with a new program that took about 40 minutes to download to my CTS and now its been flawless.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ricson
The tech at Edge set me up with a new program that took about 40 minutes to download to my CTS and now its been flawless.
Thanks Ricson and 04scurs for confirming I'm not crazy with this thing.

I just downloaded the most up to date software available to the public off the Edge website and it didn't help, I guess the solution is a call to Edge for the 'special fix'.
Thanks Ricson for sharing that info.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Ricson is that the latest update he set you up with? Spoke to Cord from Edge & related the issue. He said that he has no knowledge of the problem & a first he has heard of it. Took my info & serial number. His recommendation was to download the latest program using Fusion as they just came out with a new one a few days ago. That is why I ask Ricson if that is the one you got. He said try that & report back.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Special Ed
download the latest program using Fusion as they just came out with a new one a few days ago.
Good info Special Ed. My latest download was last week so I might have just have missed this one. I'll try again.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Ricson
Senior User
I have no idea what program i got. But when i spoke with the tech and told him i get two weird beeps and a black screen and having to unplug and replug, he seemed to know right away what the problem was as he asked me no other questions. But did ask for the serial number then to plug my CTS in to my computer.
About 5 minutes later he told me i should be all set just let the program finish downloading before i unplug.
It took about 40 minutes to download into the CTS so i think it was more then just the online update.
This happened about 3 weeks ago.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ricson
I have no idea what program i got. But when i spoke with the tech and told him i get two weird beeps and a black screen and having to unplug and replug, he seemed to know right away what the problem was as he asked me no other questions. But did ask for the serial number then to plug my CTS in to my computer.
About 5 minutes later he told me i should be all set just let the program finish downloading before i unplug.
It took about 40 minutes to download into the CTS so i think it was more then just the online update.
This happened about 3 weeks ago.
Thats weird three weeks ago? So you did just get the latest update Ricson, not a special send. They told me today they just came out with an update a few days ago. I downloaded the update then plugged up to the truck & went up to the bar. Seemed to be working great on the way there but dont remember looking at it much on the way back. Going to plug the truck up to the charger now & will have an update in the morning when I go to start her up!

Last edited by Special Ed; 01-27-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Ricson
Senior User
I have no idea what the tech did. My phone call to edge went like this, the tech asked how he can help me so i tell he i get two weird beeps and a black screen and have to unplug and replug to wake up my CTS. This only happens on first start up in the morning. He asks for the serial # and to plug my CTS into my computer. After about a 5 minute pause in the our conversation he said your all set just dont unplug your CTS until the download has finished. I said Ok thank you and hung up. I don't know what he setup for me in this 5 minute pause. This download took about 40 minutes that seemed forever. I had somewhere to go and was watching the clock.

After my last post yesterday i tried calling Edge multiple times but got the "If you get this message we are in a company wide meeting" message.
I will call back Monday with my serial # and ask what was downloaded to my CTS and let you guys know.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Smile

I downloaded the latest version last night.

Now I got:
Firmware 3.1001.55733
Calibration: 3.5010.2565

I plugged the charger in last night and this morning I had no issues with the Insight CTS when I started the truck.

Thanks 04scurs, Special Ed and Ricson for replying. Another small issue solved.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
No luck. Just went out there unplugged the charger, turned the key on & got 2 beeps. Waited for light & started her up. Screen remained black so I touched it & nothing. Had to unplug it as usual & re-insert it then she lit up.
Then I tried to do a reenactment. Plugged the power cord back into the bumper waited a few minutes. Unplugged it, started her up, & screen came on by itself.
So I will try again tomorrow & Monday cold soaked. If its not fixed I will be back on the phone with them Monday. Glad to hear at least you guys are straightened out though.
*Ricson* if you don't mind asking what you received I would really appreciate it I may need that "special" fix too.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Ricson
Senior User
Is there a way to find out what my firmware and calibration is?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Main menu, Help, product info

Quick Reply: Edge Insight CTS and Battery Charger interaction