2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JL Audio sub and amp installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
JL Audio sub and amp installed

A few weeks ago I was looking around for a small sub and amp combo to put in my SCrew. I wasn't looking for something to rattle the windows and wake up the neighbors. I just wanted to reinforce the lows that the 5x7"s cannot produce.
I came across a bunch of items online, mostly "stealth" boxes that needed a sub matched to the specs, then adding an amp. I quickly found that this was not as budget friendly as I had hoped. Additionally, those stealth boxes are huge and usually require removing the jack and jack tools.
So I then moved onto looking at Bazooka bass tubes. I encountered one big problem in my eyes, no shops around here sell and install them. I'm a big believer in pro-install for a few reasons...mainly the time and headache it saves me.
I then came across this little tiny ported enclosure from JL Audio. It's about 5.5" thick, roughly 18" long, and just 11" deep and best of all it comes already loaded with JL's 8" W3v3. Those dimensions happen to be just the amount of space needed underneath the driver's side rear seat. I measured like mad: seat down of course, but also wanted to make sure I could still have the seat up if need be. All the dimensions measured out to be ok so I made the trip down the street and had these ordered:

Subwoofer enclosure:
JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Subwoofer systems

Monoblock amplifier:
JL Audio JX250/1 Amplifiers - Car Audio Amps & Amplifiers

Had to wait about a week for the enclosure as it was not a stock item for my shop. I was a little skeptical at first about this sub as it's just a little 8", and at 4ohm the amp is putting out 175 watts at 14.4volts. Boy oh boy was I wrong. This little JL sub hits very hard for it's size (yes I realize it's not the air volume of a 12") and I'm impressed with how low it can hit. It's nice clean punchy bass. The best thing is that the bass is not noticeable outside of the truck which I really enjoy.
I just thought that I'd share my findings with the rest of you out there in case you too were looking for a well designed sub and amp for your trucks.

EDIT: Pictures added.
Please ignore the dog hair. Who knew that 75lbs of mutt could create such a mess. Impossible to keep clean.

It's actually a shame it had to go under the seat and downfired. What was unexpected was the high quality JL logo stitched to the front side of the box. Sucks that I have to hide their pretty work.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice! I would like to see the whole system some time I need to do something different but not sure which way I want to go just yet.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
dgndngrngr84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a great setup! Can't wait to see some pics!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Pictures added to first post!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM
dgndngrngr84
Senior User
Wow that fits perfectly! Nice job on the install

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Just a little update. Sub and amp have been in the truck for over a month now. The sub has broken in nicely. It hits quite hard and punchy for just being a little ole 8" cone. The amp gets warm to the touch, but certainly not hot at all.

This is not a window shaker by any means, but it does manipulate the side mirrors and shakes the rear view mirror on a warm day. I'm still amazed at the range this little guy has. It reaches really low on heavy rap, and is very tight and punchy through metal and country.

I'm certainly not employed by JL Audio or affiliated in any way with their company. But I would definitely recommend this sub and amp combination to anyone with a Scab or SCrew that is looking to up the bass in their ride.
I do not know if it would fit behind the seat in a Reg cab, but if it does, then this would be an awesome addition.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
Sounds like what I've been looking for. I have competition 8's and an amp, I just need to get off my but and build an encloseure. Thanks for the idea.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
I was talking to my local shop about a custom built enclosure with a shallow mounted 10" to go in it. I then stumbled across this sub enclosure on Crutchfield. Luckily my local shop is a JL dealer. This loaded enclosure turned out to be the same price as the 10" by itself, then add on the custom build, etc.
I'm glad I went this route. Really loving it.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
AutoShepherd
Former Vendor
Nice job on the install! How do you like it so far?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
The install was easy. I dropped it off and picked it up 2 hours later and magically it was all setup!!
As deep as my knowledge may or may not run, I simply do not always have time to take on projects. The local shop's install was $95. Money well spent in my eyes.

So far so good on the install and sound quality.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 AM
tooldad
Elder User
I have been rather impressed with my factory 8" sub, and I am sure yours is yet better. Been considering replacing the shallow mount 8" sub with an aftermarket version using factory enclosure. On th einstall, I am getting that way myself. Have numerous unfinished projects in my shop now. Time is a premium for sure; got to find some.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Joe04F150
Senior User
Nice set up Chandler...I have a fitted box with a JL sub and a Bazooka amp mounted just like you have. Sounds great!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
redmosquito1
New User
Just wondering how much this ran you? I have a local shop that is closed on sundays so I can't call and ask. But they are a JL dealer as well, I installed new Memphis 5x7s the other day and they sound great, just would like a little more bass and this would be perfect.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Amp, sub, wiring kit, and install labor rates ran me just about $585 total.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 PM
skibber
Senior User
Nice Job.Looks good.

Quick Reply: JL Audio sub and amp installed