Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need advice. Should I go for it? '99 F250 7.3l Crew

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:31 PM
msufan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice. Should I go for it? '99 F250 7.3l Crew

Hey guys new person here. I've been wanting to get a diesel f250 or something like that for the longest time. I will never really use the truck for tons of work, but more for play. I can't really justify a diesel for my uses, but I still love them.

After tons of looking around for almost a year the truck I have been looking for has pretty much fallen into my lap. It's a 1999 F250 Crewcab 4x4 7.3l diesel Lariat. Really good shape with 190,XXX miles, not much rust and only a couple small problems like a wheel bearing (pretty important but not much of a fix), and a mirror that doesn't work. The truck really hasn't been worked hard it's life and has only towed snowmobiles. A lot of stuff has been replaced. Alternator, new batteries, waterpump, trans, two new tires, and some other stuff I can't remember. Truck is stock all around and hasn't been beat on from what I can tell either.

I'm getting it through a friend of a friend so it's nice to have him let me know all that is wrong and what it's been through. He is asking a really low price imo for it, $7,500. I know that is a steal, but I want your guys opinion on it.

First off if I know I won't use the truck to it's full capabilities like towing, but I am in need of a truck in some ways for hauling stuff, and towing my boat. I could tow my boat with just about anything so I'm not buying the truck for that.

I don't know what else I should be asking you guys around here. I mainly just want an opinion if I should go out and get it right now, or just skip it. I really want the truck, and I have the money mostly. But since I'm new to diesels what kind of stuff should I expect from it, and upkeep stuff. Hopefully this makes some sense, and if it doesn't I'm sorry I'm such a newbie . Thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Welcome, sounds like you want the truck and that is understandable, when I got my first PSD, I just wanted one, now even though I daily drive it, I found other purchases that I use it for weekly.

Price doesn't seem too bad. Fair in my opinion. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, the group here in the 7.3 forum, has seen just about every situation collectively and can walk nearly anyone through any issue, if they are patient.

Here is a great beginner's thread for some common things to look at, helps you start to get into the maintenance and upkeep. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Cost wise,I'm sure you understand fuel is more expensive, oil changes(15qts vs 5) are more expensive, parts are generally more expensive. But our group here usually has the cheapest routes that will accomplish almost any task properly.

Good luck with the purchase, if you get it, stick around we will help you spend more money!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
What your saying you want to use this truck for is about what I use mine for + I daily drive mine. I could get by with an S10 or Ranger but chicks dont drive by with there boobies hanging out of the window in an S10 or Ranger for ya
All the funny stuff aside. These truck require a lot of money to operate. Average mpg for a 4wd is 14-16mpg empty. That tends to drop when the oil company switches to winter blend fuels. Oil changes if you do it yourself your still talking $60.00 at the least. I can promise you stuff is going to go out and brake on a 13 year old truck and parts wont be cheap, we can save you a lot of money on labor though and most of the time theres guys here willing to personally give you a hand with a project just to help out if your close by.
You will find all kinds of new uses for one of these truck every week. They can take anything you throw at them if they have been taken care of, maintance on a new to you truck is the most important thing you can try to get any info. you can on.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
You only live once. Get the truck! You won't regret it and we'll help you fix anything wrong with it.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I bought my 2000 4X4 Lariat with 219,000 miles for $10,000 from the dealership. They fixed a broken mirror, tailgate latch, the steering, a tear in the leather upholstry, and they put a new set of quality General all-season radials on it.

I did some upgrades (many with links in my signature), including a bed liner, cab storage, canopy, fancy stereo with backup camera, and a few things I'm forgetting now. My repairs were upgrades as well - stronger transmission, brakes, and block-to-turbo exhaust. A couple of injectors went South and I replaced them with stock, both batteries were weak and I replaced those, I learned the fuel needs additives for better economy/engine longevity. Oil change (with proper synthetic) is $120 in parts and supplies. One fillup is $120. I get 16 MPG in winter city/hwy and over 19 MPG (no A/C active) hwy when the temp is closer to 70F.

My $10K investment is now a $22K investment in 1 year of ownership, but I have the income to absorb this, my truck now rocks better than new, and the Lariat trim is as good as it gets. A 2012 F250 with the same package runs over $60K, so think of it as a cowboy Mercedes. These are not cheap vehicles to buy, maintain, or repair - so it is helpful to mentally gear up for this cold dose of reality. In line with what others have said, being a shade-tree mechanic with good tools and software can save you a lot of money when the vehicle shows its age - and there is tons of time/money saving input right here.

The early 99 is not the same truck as the late 99 through 2003 (early 99 has issues), I'm sure somebody here knows the date on the door to watch for. If it's a late 99, I'd go for it - but I would personally pass on an early 99, based on all I've learned in the last year.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Early 99's can get you just as far as the mid or late 99s, or the 00, 01, 02 etc.
It all depends on the care. I picked mine up about 7 yrs ago with 80K on the clock. I now have almost 270K and it runs great. Yes I have put some work into it and getting my info here has saved me a load of $$ in labor... But it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I paid $14K for mine back then and have maybe $1000 in parts in it....excluding new tires and a new tranny at 240K, (it was time for a new one anyway).
I use the hell out of my truck...hauling horses,hay, tractors and the occasional broke down friends car/truck. And my daily driver as well as occasionally patrolling with it when working with the local PD.

$7500 is a fair price. 180K miles...early 99.... If the body and interior is in decent shape...and I mean no dents, some nicks and scratches are OK, no tears or major stains on the interior. Paint still shines decently.....Go for it.

Some people like a buddy of mine will just take it in to the dealer at the slightest hint of an issue. I think he has sent a few mechanics to Hawaii by now. He has the $$ to throw at it and I dont blame him. Why get dirty if you don't have to. Dropping $12K into it in just a couple of years tho is not normal so dont let that scare you off. It is though if you want a highly modified truck. But for a decent truck that you can use to play and work.... wont cost you alot of $$.

All the model years had their own issues.... Some easy to repair...some not. With an early 99 though, you already have the factory "Wicked wheel". You wont have to hunt down and troubleshoot "turbo surge". So that in mind...you already have the turbo wheel that alot of later year truck owners have hunted down and installed to eliminate turbo surge. Go figure.

What matters is...You are now a member of this forum...and you can easily see that yes, there are issues but you have a huge network of knowledge here to help you through damn near everything you can run across on these trucks. Some cheap...some not so cheap. But then again you have this with just about any vehicle outside of a pedal car.

Do you like it?
Do you have the $$?
Does your other half care? (Or do you care if they care?)

Go for it.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM
vthao
New User
With regular maintenance and care, your truck will still get you 100k+ miles which is well worth the money you are spending on it. The motors last forever and have the ability to tow virtually anything; they're simply beasts. Don't be surprised to spend more money on a truck with higher miles/use...these diesels hold their value very well.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
msufan
Junior User
Thanks for all the fast/quick replys guys! Really great info around here, and I think I've found the right place to come!

Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.
Thanks for moving this to the right forum! I knew I probably picked the wrong one .

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Here is a great beginner's thread for some common things to look at, helps you start to get into the maintenance and upkeep. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Cost wise,I'm sure you understand fuel is more expensive, oil changes(15qts vs 5) are more expensive, parts are generally more expensive. But our group here usually has the cheapest routes that will accomplish almost any task properly.

Good luck with the purchase, if you get it, stick around we will help you spend more money!
Thanks BigAlsPSD! Just read up on the thread that you linked and there is some good info in there. I came to the right place for sure. I understand the more cost with the diesel but at least it will last a bit longer than a gasser, and will hold its value. I'm planning on getting it so I think I'll be sticking around!

Originally Posted by JOHN2001
What your saying you want to use this truck for is about what I use mine for + I daily drive mine. I could get by with an S10 or Ranger but chicks dont drive by with there boobies hanging out of the window in an S10 or Ranger for ya
You will find all kinds of new uses for one of these truck every week. They can take anything you throw at them if they have been taken care of, maintance on a new to you truck is the most important thing you can try to get any info. you can on.
I got a great laugh out of that one. Thanks JOHN2001! I'm sure I will find tons of uses. Also being the only one in the family with a truck that'll put me on "truck duty"...

Originally Posted by bigtexan99
You only live once. Get the truck! You won't regret it and we'll help you fix anything wrong with it.
That is true! Thanks bigtexan99!

Originally Posted by Tugly
I did some upgrades (many with links in my signature), including a bed liner, cab storage, canopy, fancy stereo with backup camera, and a few things I'm forgetting now. My repairs were upgrades as well - stronger transmission, brakes, and block-to-turbo exhaust. A couple of injectors went South and I replaced them with stock, both batteries were weak and I replaced those, I learned the fuel needs additives for better economy/engine longevity. Oil change (with proper synthetic) is $120 in parts and supplies. One fillup is $120. I get 16 MPG in winter city/hwy and over 19 MPG (no A/C active) hwy when the temp is closer to 70F.

The early 99 is not the same truck as the late 99 through 2003 (early 99 has issues), I'm sure somebody here knows the date on the door to watch for. If it's a late 99, I'd go for it - but I would personally pass on an early 99, based on all I've learned in the last year.
Thanks for all the input Tugly! I'm not too worried about MPG's because if I had a 5.4l I'd get the same or worse. I'd rather have the diesel anyways lol!

I'm going to look through your upgrades and such because they sound interesting. I saw the date for the early/late 99's but I forgot it. I'll try to find it again.

Originally Posted by BillyBob69
$7500 is a fair price. 180K miles...early 99.... If the body and interior is in decent shape...and I mean no dents, some nicks and scratches are OK, no tears or major stains on the interior. Paint still shines decently.....Go for it.

Do you like it?
Do you have the $$?
Does your other half care? (Or do you care if they care?)

Go for it.
Thanks for all the info BillyBob69! Paint just needs a wax. Just a tiny bit of rust over the wheel wells and a tad by the drivers side back window. Otherwise it's a nice truck and it should clean up nicely. Same for the interior. Drivers seat might need to be recovered but that is all.

To your questions:
I loved it when I turned the key after the "wait to start light" went off. Best feeling .
I've got the money for it I think...
Don't have to worry about the other half just yet .

Originally Posted by vthao
With regular maintenance and care, your truck will still get you 100k+ miles which is well worth the money you are spending on it. The motors last forever and have the ability to tow virtually anything; they're simply beasts. Don't be surprised to spend more money on a truck with higher miles/use...these diesels hold their value very well.
Thanks vthao! That's one of the things I thought about. If I don't need it/want it after this summer I can sell it. Something tells me I might be in love with it after that though... lol

------------------------------------------

Hopefully you guys don't mind me editing some of your replys so I could reply to them. Just didn't want to repeat the same info that was above. Let me know if I shouldn't do that! lol

A bit more on my situation. I'll be going to college this fall. So that sort of plays a factor. I've got the money, and I'll have a few jobs to work this summer. I know I will be using the truck for those.

So even if I'm not modding it out I still need a truck to use. Sure I could go buy a F150 or ranger, but this one is in front of me now. And is around the same price as what I was looking at for F150's and a Ranger. Might as well get a diesel, eh?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
carrcreekcaller
Junior User
Don't walk away from the purchase, RUN AWAY!!! Just kidding. I have the early 99 F350 SD, 6 speed manual, 4x4, crew cab, long bed with not quite 200,000 miles. I would have shot it and burried it long ago if it wasn't for this site. They are costly to maintain, and there are things that need attention wether you operate it or not.
1.First major expense was the clutch fork broke, late 99's have a heavier fork. I replaced the clutch while I had the tranny off, and haven't held a plastic clutch pedal retaining clip longer than 6 months ever since.
2.Glow plugs and wiring harness(located in the valve cover gaskets, wtf) replaced.
3.Glow plug relays about once every year or two.
4.Fuel bowl heater shorted out and burned out a maxi fuse, that took a while to figure out.
5.Ignigtion switch.
6.I replace fuel filter every second oil change, and my mechanic would prefere I replace it every oil change.
7.CPS, I'm on about my 3rd in 100,000mi. One of the latest ones Ford put in on a recall shorts out when using the intermitant wiper.
8.Mine has been sitting for about a month. Just got parts from RiffRaff Diesel yesterday and getting ready to install today.
9.You can expect to replace the ball joints, o-rings on the fuel bowl, fix the leaks on the fuel sender in the tank, IPR sensor on the front left head, add a fuel rail crossover, clean the exhaust back pressure tube, eventually you will need to rebuild the injectors, replace the HPOP, and a ton of other things you will find on this site. Nice your waterpump has already been replaced.
10.You will spend some money on this truck, but it will be a nice handling tank along the way.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by msufan
Thanks for moving this to the right forum! I knew I probably picked the wrong one .
Not necessarily the wrong forum but I moved you down here in order to get better information. The guys in this forum are great and always willing to help. You'll get more responses here than in the Super Duty forum.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
msufan
Junior User
Originally Posted by carrcreekcaller
Don't walk away from the purchase, RUN AWAY!!! Just kidding. I have the early 99 F350 SD, 6 speed manual, 4x4, crew cab, long bed with not quite 200,000 miles. I would have shot it and burried it long ago if it wasn't for this site. They are costly to maintain, and there are things that need attention wether you operate it or not.

10.You will spend some money on this truck, but it will be a nice handling tank along the way.
Thanks for all the info carrcreekcaller! I still need to find out if it's early or late. I'm not too worried I guess. If it's early then I'll take the chance, late I'll be a very happy camper!

Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Not necessarily the wrong forum but I moved you down here in order to get better information. The guys in this forum are great and always willing to help. You'll get more responses here than in the Super Duty forum.
Alright! Thanks for moving it anyways. I need all the input I can get . Came to the right place .

Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by msufan
Alright! Thanks for moving it anyways. I need all the input I can get . Came to the right place .
You bet.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I see your name is msufan, so I'm assuming you and the truck are in Michigan? I'd look hard for frame and rear brake line rust issues on any truck of that age in Michigan. Having lived there, I'd buy a truck from another state!

If you're going to college soon, that's not the easiest to park rig in the world. Not to be a wet blanket, but a PSD/crew is not a good college mobile - expensive in every sense, for oil, fuel, maintenance, neglected things, etc. I'd get the old Ranger or reg-cab F-150 and get a barge like this later in life when you have a clear need for it. At your age, I wanted ANYTHING with four wheels, and in college, settled for my brother's '72 Delta 88 and an AMC/Renault Alliance, borrowed from my parents.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:07 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
...At your age, I wanted ANYTHING with four wheels, and in college, settled for my brother's '72 Delta 88 and an AMC/Renault Alliance, borrowed from my parents.
HA!! Sorry for the hihack but... I settled for a 74 AMC Matador. OH HOLY HELL what was I thinking

Quick Reply: Need advice. Should I go for it? '99 F250 7.3l Crew