1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expedition 2003 EB - Grinding noise during turns

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2trux

yes is the same noise

Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
2003 Ford Expedition EB 4x4

Originally Posted by 2trux
How do you know it is the same sound?

This is the rubbish you should not listen to.
Continue to work through the problem with the people who are helping you, as many are professional mechanics.
Yes is the same noise, trust me, its very annoying and feels like if something is trying to engage when you turn but i have it on 2wd

Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Lizy Villanueva
the noise is in the front every time I turn or if I'm in a complete stop and turn.
So even if your not moving and you turn the steering to the left or the right, you will hear the grinding noise?

If that is the case, the problem is going to be with the steering gear box or the power steering pump. But most likely the steering gear box.

If the noise happens without moving the truck, then it can not be anything to do with axles, wheel hub bearings, or tires.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Do you have the limited slip rear end? If so, did you change the oil in that? When doing so you should add two bottles of friction modifier. Often times the rear end grinding will sound like it is from the front.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
So even if your not moving and you turn the steering to the left or the right, you will hear the grinding noise?

If that is the case, the problem is going to be with the steering gear box or the power steering pump. But most likely the steering gear box.

If the noise happens without moving the truck, then it can not be anything to do with axles, wheel hub bearings, or tires.
No if I'm at a complete stop and then go ahead and I turn left or right at a road it will make the noise, my husband just open up the front differential but said there is no clutch there, and that everything looks brand new.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
2003 Ford Expedition EB 4x4

Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Do you have the limited slip rear end? If so, did you change the oil in that? When doing so you should add two bottles of friction modifier. Often times the rear end grinding will sound like it is from the front.
Im sorry, what is a Limited slip rear end?

Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lizy Villanueva
Im sorry, what is a Limited slip rear end?

It is a rear differential that has clutches in it to limit wheel slip. As they age they chatter or grind (actually on many Fords they chatter when new too). There is an additive that needs to put in when you change the fluid or do a service. usually one bottle works, but on older and higher mileage vehicles it is good to use two bottles. If it hasn't been addressed on yours it is a good place to start. The service interval is supposed to be 30k miles.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 AM
jjtrj
New User
sounds like its time for front differential races and bearings

Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with alwaysfords41. You haven't answered his question (or I've missed your answer) as to wheather your vehicle has a Limited Slip differential or not.

If you can start up (very gently) while turning and there is no noise, yet when you start up with heavier throttle while turning and you get the noise, you need to add the limited slip additive to the rear differential.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Jesse Rusch
New User
Same issue here

Hello all. Just purchased an ‘02 EX about 6-weeks ago and stuck quite a bit into it already.
Mine is also grinding in turns. It feels like I’m in 4WD trying to turn at the tightest radius. When I’m hauling my 24’ toy hauler (without toys), this grinding and vibration is super bad and sounds/feels like something wants to jump out of the drivetrain. Scary!

The truck is in 2WD, going slow (15mph or less), and turning at a 45 degree turn or maybe slightly less. Less degrees of turning than you would do at an intersection from a two lane road to another two lane road.

The noise seems to also also be worse when driving uphill while towing.

Had a transmission failure four days ago and dealer installed a REMAN ford transmission and also found a short in the 4WD actuator. Replaced the electrical part and also the left side lockout. The grinding issue remains.

Front bearings/hubs sound fine when lifted in the air and spun.

Things I’ve already replaced (for various reasons):
100% new front brakes including hoses
REMAN transmission
left lockout
4WD actuator (not sure I am using the correct term here)
and several other things not at all related to a driveline issue.

Another mechanic thinks it could be possibly be due to the two piece driveshaft having some slight play and splines not seating well if there is a slight twist in the chassis during turning. He said this might be a long shot.
There's also some slight play between the driveshaft and the rear end input.

Do do you guys believe this is the rear end needing that “modifier juice”?

Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Compared to what you’ve spent, it’s a fast and cheap job. Just do it.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:54 AM
Jesse Rusch
New User
Still grinding - now what?

Compared to what you’ve spent, it’s a fast and cheap job. Just do it.
Performed the rear diff drain and refill and the grinding issue remains when cornering.

I didn’t notice anything abnormal when changing the gear oil. Used 75w140 Valvoline oil with the 4 oz bottle of Motorcraft friction modifier. Didn’t add any oil until 24 hours of cure time from Permatex (green label) RTV.

immediately did about 8 tight circles in each direction then 5 figure 8’s. Also got it up to 50mph for 5 minutes, pulled full plug and tried to add more but was complete full.

Cant notice the tire chatter/grinding unless I’m towing my 24’ toy hauler (no toys inside). Seems worse on right turns.

What am am I left with here? Add more modifier or am I missing something?

thanks for help!