1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expedition 2003 EB - Grinding noise during turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 AM
karimpoor
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition 2003 EB - Grinding noise during turns

Hi,

I have a 2003 Expedition 4X2 EB and love it. However, lately, I've been hearing a grinding noise during turns if and only if I accelerate. If I just turn at normal speed without pressing the gas pedal, no noise is coming. I'm not sure if it's coming from the back or the front. Some folks mentioned bearing hub and my son also researched it and found out that I should change the differential oil.
I changed the gear box oil last year but what the heck is the differential oil? The transmission oil has been changed recently.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Warmest Regards
Al

Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
The differential is the big round ball thing you see in the middle of the rear and front(4WD only) axles when you look under the truck.

As to the grinding noise, I also suggest a front wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 AM
karimpoor
New User
Thanks Alloro,

So R U sure it's not the gear box or the transmission? Is thee noise coming from the front or the rear? I'm not able to tell.

thanks
Al

Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Do you have a limited slip differential (LSD)?
I'd say it's the clutch packs in the rear differential. If that is the case it is a relatively easy fix, and you need to make sure you add the friction modifier during the change. If over 100k miles consider adding 2 modifiers. The rear diff fluid should be chaged every 30k if you LSD.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
karimpoor
New User
thanks alwaysfords41

I believe it's the cluch in the differential too. Is it expensive to fix? Do I need to change the cluch at the dealer or any good mechanic can do it? Please help. I have no idea and don't want to get ripped off at the dealer.

Warmest regards

Al

Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
You just need to change the fluid, not the clutches. The clutches are binding because the fluid has lost it's lubricating properties. There is a drain plug in the middle of the pumpkin that alloro described, and the fill port is a square drive plug on the driver side on the opposite side of the pumpkin (towards the front). Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
karimpoor
New User
Hi alwaysfords41,

Thanks a mil for the info. So to summarize, I take it to dealer asking to change the gear box oil buy adding 2 units of friction modifier. Is that correct?

Warmest regards
Al

Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I'd stop calling it a gear box or they will be looking at your transmission.

Assuming you have the LSD and that the clutches are binding, you want the rear differential fluid changed. That should include 1 bottle of modifier as standard practice for LSDs. My dealer puts two bottles in trucks over 100k, and I have been doing the same for around 65k miles now on one of my Expeditions. The fluid change is around 2 quarts, the modifier is just a few ounces per bottle.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM
karimpoor
New User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Do you have a limited slip differential (LSD)?
I'd say it's the clutch packs in the rear differential. If that is the case it is a relatively easy fix, and you need to make sure you add the friction modifier during the change. If over 100k miles consider adding 2 modifiers. The rear diff fluid should be chaged every 30k if you LSD.
Thanks a mil for your comments. I changed the gear box oil including 2 quarts of friction additive and that seemed to have fixed it for now. Car has all new drive and feels much better. I hope it'll hold.

thanks again,

Ali

Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
Exclamation 2003 Ford Expedition EB 4x4

I have the same grinding noise when turning, they told me it was the tires so I change them and continue to do the same noise, they told me it was the axle, so I change both and still the same noise when turning I also did the change in the oil and still the same noise. Can someone help me!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Lizy Villanueva
I have the same grinding noise when turning, they told me it was the tires so I change them and continue to do the same noise, they told me it was the axle, so I change both and still the same noise when turning I also did the change in the oil and still the same noise. Can someone help me!
Neither tires nor axles cause grinding noises when turning. What kind of idiot did that diagnosis?

This grinding noise, is it in the front or the rear?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 AM
karimpoor
New User
Smile fixed it Liz

Originally Posted by alloro
Neither tires nor axles cause grinding noises when turning. What kind of idiot did that diagnosis?

Hi Liz,

Just change the oil tin the gear box to the one dealer uses and ask them use double viscosity. My problem went away. all done. Forget the rubbish others are posting.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
2003 Ford Expedition EB 4x4

Originally Posted by alloro

The grinding noise is when you turn on the front, they also told me to change the back tires to see if that will stop the noise, but, my thing is the noise is in the front every time I turn or if I'm in a complete stop and turn.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Lizy Villanueva

How do you know it is the same sound?

Originally Posted by karimpoor
Hi Liz,

Just change the oil tin the gear box to the one dealer uses and ask them use double viscosity. My problem went away. all done. Forget the rubbish others are posting.

This is the rubbish you should not listen to.
Continue to work through the problem with the people who are helping you, as many are professional mechanics.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
Karimpoor

We did change the oil and still have the same issue

Quick Reply: Expedition 2003 EB - Grinding noise during turns