Expedition 2003 EB - Grinding noise during turns - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator
Reload this Page >

Expedition 2003 EB - Grinding noise during turns

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expedition 2003 EB - Grinding noise during turns

Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
Lizy Villanueva is starting off with a positive reputation.
2trux

yes is the same noise

Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
2003 Ford Expedition EB 4x4

Originally Posted by 2trux View Post
How do you know it is the same sound?

This is the rubbish you should not listen to.
Continue to work through the problem with the people who are helping you, as many are professional mechanics.
Yes is the same noise, trust me, its very annoying and feels like if something is trying to engage when you turn but i have it on 2wd

Old 03-20-2014, 01:36 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lizy Villanueva View Post
the noise is in the front every time I turn or if I'm in a complete stop and turn.
So even if your not moving and you turn the steering to the left or the right, you will hear the grinding noise?

If that is the case, the problem is going to be with the steering gear box or the power steering pump. But most likely the steering gear box.

If the noise happens without moving the truck, then it can not be anything to do with axles, wheel hub bearings, or tires.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you have the limited slip rear end? If so, did you change the oil in that? When doing so you should add two bottles of friction modifier. Often times the rear end grinding will sound like it is from the front.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
So even if your not moving and you turn the steering to the left or the right, you will hear the grinding noise?

If that is the case, the problem is going to be with the steering gear box or the power steering pump. But most likely the steering gear box.

If the noise happens without moving the truck, then it can not be anything to do with axles, wheel hub bearings, or tires.
No if I'm at a complete stop and then go ahead and I turn left or right at a road it will make the noise, my husband just open up the front differential but said there is no clutch there, and that everything looks brand new.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Lizy Villanueva
New User
2003 Ford Expedition EB 4x4

Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 View Post
Do you have the limited slip rear end? If so, did you change the oil in that? When doing so you should add two bottles of friction modifier. Often times the rear end grinding will sound like it is from the front.
Im sorry, what is a Limited slip rear end?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Lizy Villanueva View Post
Im sorry, what is a Limited slip rear end?

It is a rear differential that has clutches in it to limit wheel slip. As they age they chatter or grind (actually on many Fords they chatter when new too). There is an additive that needs to put in when you change the fluid or do a service. usually one bottle works, but on older and higher mileage vehicles it is good to use two bottles. If it hasn't been addressed on yours it is a good place to start. The service interval is supposed to be 30k miles.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:48 PM
jjtrj
New User
jjtrj is starting off with a positive reputation.
sounds like its time for front differential races and bearings

Old 03-22-2014, 02:33 PM
pdqford
Postmaster
pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 View Post
I'm inclined to agree with alwaysfords41. You haven't answered his question (or I've missed your answer) as to wheather your vehicle has a Limited Slip differential or not.

If you can start up (very gently) while turning and there is no noise, yet when you start up with heavier throttle while turning and you get the noise, you need to add the limited slip additive to the rear differential.