FICM or what? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM or what?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Junior User

dnroberts is starting off with a positive reputation.
FICM or what?

2003 Excursion, runs rough on start up if not plugged in, plus no power. I can push throttle to the floor and it will not move unless pointed down hill. Mileage has also dropped 3 MPG. I checked the FICM, voltage would bounce back and forth from 47.9 to 48 on all three tests (key on, cranking and running). Is there a way to check all the pins (the other 6) for a problem? Dealership replaced injector #5 and ICP, ECRM reman nozzle asy, EA sensor asy and A Connector - 3 way. CEL came on twice after this work, took it back to the Dealer, the ran several tests in the shop and while driving, of course no CEL and no codes (good news no charge). What else to look at, any other tests to do, or could the FICM bad even with good voltage? Thanks for any help. - Dale
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Senior User

joe_r_dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnroberts View Post
2003 Excursion, runs rough on start up if not plugged in, plus no power. I can push throttle to the floor and it will not move unless pointed down hill. Mileage has also dropped 3 MPG. I checked the FICM, voltage would bounce back and forth from 47.9 to 48 on all three tests (key on, cranking and running). Is there a way to check all the pins (the other 6) for a problem? Dealership replaced injector #5 and ICP, ECRM reman nozzle asy, EA sensor asy and A Connector - 3 way. CEL came on twice after this work, took it back to the Dealer, the ran several tests in the shop and while driving, of course no CEL and no codes (good news no charge). What else to look at, any other tests to do, or could the FICM bad even with good voltage? Thanks for any help. - Dale

yes ficm can still be bad. i suggest getting it repaired by ed at ficmrepair.com. he is the best and charges way less than ford for a module that is way better than ford's. also, you should switch to 5w-40 synthetic oil. it will help with injectors and rough running. also, do blue spring if u havent. low fp may have caused injector to go bad.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
FTE Fan

fixxxer-upper has a good reputation on FTE.fixxxer-upper has a good reputation on FTE.fixxxer-upper has a good reputation on FTE.
I had to replace my FICM that had good voltage. Runs great now. The only test I had for that problem was to swap in a known good FICM to check mine.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
New User

L Train is starting off with a positive reputation.
Similar Issues

Hey I just recently had a similar experience as the OP. The past 3 days in a row my '04 F350 CC lost all power, the engine was still running, but stomping on the pedal did nothing - didnt even raise a single rpm. All 3 times the truck was still coming up to normal temp and experienced the prob around 135deg. The first 2x it happened, shutting the truck down and restarted seemed to clear the issue. Today, after shutting down it took several attempts to restart it. After each time, once the truck has reached operating temps around 180 its runs great.

I've been trying to figure out what to check. From the research I've come across it seems the FICM would be the culprit. I did the diagnostic check and got 47.7-47.9volts on all 3 checks.

Before spending the $225 to replace the FICM board are there other things I can check myself?

BTW - this is a 2004 6.0l, just over 71k mileage. CEL never comes on and ScanGuage does not show any trouble codes. Oil, filter and both fuel filters changed at 70k.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
New User

gottruck? is starting off with a positive reputation.
Once had a 2006 have the same problem, it was the gas pedal,, or skinny pedal.. not sure if 2003 pedals are electronic, but once I replaced the pedal it always ran great.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Train View Post
Hey I just recently had a similar experience as the OP. The past 3 days in a row my '04 F350 CC lost all power, the engine was still running, but stomping on the pedal did nothing - didnt even raise a single rpm. All 3 times the truck was still coming up to normal temp and experienced the prob around 135deg. The first 2x it happened, shutting the truck down and restarted seemed to clear the issue. Today, after shutting down it took several attempts to restart it. After each time, once the truck has reached operating temps around 180 its runs great.

I've been trying to figure out what to check. From the research I've come across it seems the FICM would be the culprit. I did the diagnostic check and got 47.7-47.9volts on all 3 checks.

Before spending the $225 to replace the FICM board are there other things I can check myself?

BTW - this is a 2004 6.0l, just over 71k mileage. CEL never comes on and ScanGuage does not show any trouble codes. Oil, filter and both fuel filters changed at 70k.

Thanks in advance!
Remember that the FICM voltage test needs to be done with the engine COLD. KEOE, cranking, and @2000 RPM's. There's not really a lot else you can do to check it. Also, you can have stored codes without having a CEL that the scangauge won't show. It's great for gauges and some diagnostics but it sucks as a code reader on 03/04 models.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
Remember that the FICM voltage test needs to be done with the engine COLD. KEOE, cranking, and @2000 RPM's. There's not really a lot else you can do to check it....
When you say with the engine cold, do you mean cold-soak overnight. Or just cold? My tests yesterday the truck had been sitting for almost 3 hrs. Outside temp was in the high 30's so by this time ECT/EOTs were down to around 90 deg or so when i did the voltage test.

Overnight I left the block heater on. When I went to start the truck, outside temp was 29. ECT/EOT were right around 102. I didnt do the test with the volt-meter on the board, but I did find the XGauge codes and they read 48.5 FMP and 13.5FVP. I let the truck warm up a bit longer, got up to 154 before I left. It ran great the whole time.

I guess its still possible that I have a bad (or going bad) FICM. Or perhaps something else caused my intermittant no-go issues. Any other suggestions to check besides the FICM?

I'm going to give Ed at FICMRepair.com a call to what he thinks.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Train View Post
When you say with the engine cold, do you mean cold-soak overnight. Or just cold? My tests yesterday the truck had been sitting for almost 3 hrs. Outside temp was in the high 30's so by this time ECT/EOTs were down to around 90 deg or so when i did the voltage test.

Overnight I left the block heater on. When I went to start the truck, outside temp was 29. ECT/EOT were right around 102. I didnt do the test with the volt-meter on the board, but I did find the XGauge codes and they read 48.5 FMP and 13.5FVP. I let the truck warm up a bit longer, got up to 154 before I left. It ran great the whole time.

I guess its still possible that I have a bad (or going bad) FICM. Or perhaps something else caused my intermittant no-go issues. Any other suggestions to check besides the FICM?

I'm going to give Ed at FICMRepair.com a call to what he thinks.

Thanks!
Read this TSB in addition to the FICM information in the tech folder:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TSB 08-26-3.pdf (161.7 KB, 779 views)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
Read this TSB in addition to the FICM information in the tech folder:
Thank you!!! I clearly see my tests were done when the EOT was still too warm. TSB states "...EOT less than 68 F..."

Outside temps will drop to 30 tonight. I will leave the block heater unplugged and retest in the morning when I know the EOT will be below 68. I will report what I find after that.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM
New User

Update

Alright, so after a cold soak with overnight temps dropping below 30 retested with the following FICM readings through the ScanGaugeII

Outside temp: 30deg
EOT: 45
Batts: 12.12 and 12.13 (defintely low charge)
FMP FLP FVP
KOEO 47.5 11.0 11.0
Buzz 48.5 11.5 11.5
Crank 48.5 11.5 11.5
2000rpm 48.0 11.0 11.0

As the truck was warming up to temp, checking the values at 130, 140, 150, 160 and after 20 mile run up the freeway between 60-70mph

48.5 14.0 14.0

After that I called Ed at FICMRepair.com (super nice guy and very helpful). He gave me a good education on the FICM boards as well as batteries. Ed did not feel that the numbers were off enough to remove/replace the FICM at this time. He was however, concerned about the low charge in the batteries.

The 14.0 show the system is charging, but it seems the batts may not be be capable of holding a full charge. Im going to buy a BatteryMinder to see if desulfication will help get me back closer to 12.7. And if that doesnt work, new batts.

As for the 3 no-go incidents, its still a mystery. The checklist continues.

Thanks!