Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

my latest project: body work (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
my latest project: body work (pic heavy)

my latest project: body work.
figured id show ya guys what iv been up to last day or two.

prepping my replacement (used, rust free oem) front fenders with a little POR-15 on the insides.

two coats of POR-15.extra thick around the wheel well opening this trip.

here's whats coming off her.the other is just as bad.both sides are full of bondo up around the wheel wheels and even around the holes you see i packed full of bondo a while back to keep her together for a while.
time to head out there and get 'em off while the paint cures.

out with some old.getting ready to prep some new.

ran out of POR-15.had to run to town to get some.
fyi,if you have a car quest,they stock it.
the inner fender below is sprayed with metal ready (why you see the white film haze) and since been rinsed.
the new bumper was prepped and freshly rinsed.inside drying now then she'll get a coat of por-15 on the back side and around all the holes (which will be covered up with the trim.)

applying coat of por-15 to back side of new bumper this morning.
will be hitting the bumper brackets too.

and one full coat..............i think im getting high.

i even went over the back lip that is chrome.we'll see if that actually holds up not on that.if not no loss.protected for a long as it stays on it.

oh yeah.let me show ya the inner fender all ready for the outer fender to go back on today too.
though it's too cold for painting today,i'll still be doing the same to the other side anyway.the paint will be inside all warm and it's not like i'll have another chance to hit it lol.so it's getting it cold or not.i dunno why i didn't hit that hood hinge while i was at it.i'll get 'em today.
im using por's flexcote black top coat fyi.
(besides on the inner fenders.just the por base.)

a second coat of por-15 was applied latter,along with a topcoat.por-15's flexcote black.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
and a little bit around the holes under the bumper trim to thwart off rust from starting.

taking longer than expected.man what a job.it's all worth the effort though.

installed drivers side fender.just need to sand off some por-15 drippings and bolt on the plastic wheel well with some washers and screws.
removed pass side fender and prepped for replacement.it was pretty much as bad as the drivers side.
pass fender and bumper all ready for install tomorrow.

hey i went from an f250HD idi w/ dually convert to an f350 and PSD.how that happen?

FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
that's where im at for now.will replace this post with update tomorrow.

update.

iv got her all together.old chipper truck is once again solid and ready for paint at just 19 years young.
well,i do need to toss the lund sun visor on before i take her in.

putting bumper trim on in the cold isn't such the best of ideas.plastic gets brittle when cold.chipped a piece.i have it kinda set in place in some pics,and removed from one pic so you can see it.ah well,a little super clue i suppose and it will be nothing but a distant memory.
she's coming along.

Attached Images        

Last edited by FORDF250HDXLT; 01-26-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: update.
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
a mismatch made in heaven

to be updated latter.

update.
so i put my custom made (not the best looking thing in world i know,but i don't think it's too bad) front air dam back on to reduce wind drag under the truck.
i removed my stock mirrors so the body shop has less work to do.this saved them unscrewing not only the outside,but the interior door panel needed to be removed,to unscrew the main mounting bracket.the more i do the better, as getting her sprayed is pricey.
so pricey after body shopping hopping yesterday,that i didn't sleep so well last night lol.i know she's worth it,but dangit im sush a tight a.... i don't wanna part with so much at once lol.sad day yesterday.it's just a freaking cab!
i was surprised how much cleaner the truck looks (if you look past the temporary mismatch paint everywhere for now) with them stock mirrors finally removed.
threw a little duct tape over the holes.
then i installed my lund sun visor.
just before i take her in to the body shop,i'll remove the under body tool boxes so they can spray around the back of the cab with ease,and save labor time for them to remove and install 'em.

oops.i forgot to pickup some super clue to toss that bumper trim chip back in.ahh well.might have some around.
looks like i need to adjust my west coasts again.im afriad to over tighten 'em.

Attached Images      

Last edited by FORDF250HDXLT; 01-28-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: updated
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right on! Nice PSD badge lol how much does that Por15 cost?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
I need to do the same, hopefully this spring, with a cab replacement and maybe bed replacement as well... I found a good donor a month ago (barely could spend the money though), just won't have the time until who knows...
I'm curious on the POR-15 as well, and how well it will hold up. I've heard some great reports, and some not so great reports. My plan was to do several good coats of rustoleum and hope that lasts for a good while.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that chrome stuff insulation you installed on the firewall there?

And wow, that truck of yours sure was alot rustier than I taught!

Good luck with that POR15.

I'm going to be doing the same with my F250, but i'm gonna be using Line-X instead. And I will re-paint over the Line-X the factory color of the truck, as I don't want a nasty "black" look everywhere.

My truck is gonna be fully protected, while keeping the "factory original" look

Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
the por-15 is pretty much the same everywhere.you can check out their site for prices.
it holds up well.
yeah a little extra sound deadening/heat shield barrier under the hood.
these fenders were pretty much done for when i bought the truck 2 yrs ago.a couple more Maine winters and they didn't have a chance lol.i just kept 'em full of bondo with a touch of primer over them,that's what held them together for a while.the bumper has been getting worse and worse.it never looked too bad because it was the very bottom that was rusting out.
i was spending a little extra time with my rad support too.around the body mounts are starting to rust out.so i cleaned up them sections while it was all open.unable to get in there good with the por last time.they're at the point where they're still plenty of life and sound structure to them right there,with the rest still about perfect.so as long as i got 'em coated good around these mounts,i shouldn't need to replace the rad support for hopefully another 10 yrs yet.even then,it would probably just be removing it,and have it repaired around the mounts.i'll keep my eye on 'em after every winter is all.if i need to replace or repair it someday,so be it i guess.im just glad it doesn't need to be this day.

oh.i have a few more things;
im going to be using latter '05? i think it is f350xlt badges.
dual super duty fog logs in each bumper hole.one clear,one yellow lens each.(mostly a nice slick,and still useful way of keeping out added air flow through my rad/ under the truck as it's not needed,to keep the wind drag the same as when i had the solid bumper.)
iv got a lund sunvisor to put on.
hmm.i think that's about it.
then she's going to the paint shop for a fresh tu-tone base/clear. BRG base,black center.
i'll have 'em pull and fill the holes for the stock mirrors too of course so those are gone,leaving just the WC.
then finally,the large projects will be complete (besides the turbo.that'll be next lol.)

current odo reading;
83k miles and change (i think just about 84k now.)

Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looking good! I am going to be doing this myself soon, as well as repair my rad. core support and radiator support bracket. great thread, keep it up.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
finally my trucks front fender curse has been lifted snapon! man,i swear it took a total of over a year to finally get someone out west ship me a set of rust free fenders.i wish you better luck than i had.aftermarket i hear are too thin,and local NE salvage yards probably wouldn't yield much better than what we have.
you wouldn't think so,but this is not an easy job.it's not what i expected.i have to admit these fenders are kicking my butt lol.
well time to get out there i guess and get the other side and bumper on.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could have just asked me F250.....i got 2 sets haha

Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
post #3 updated.

oh sure now ya tell me Quintin.
well be sure snapon reads this.he's looking for a set for his rig.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Looks great bud! I got a passenger side fender from a guy and I believe its a replacement fender, I'll probably use that and then get a OEM drivers side one. Did the guy you got them from have anymore?

Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
post #4 updated.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Looks pretty sweet, Are you gonna turbo it before new paint? It might not be a bad idea so you don't mess up the new paint while working on it. I know when I turbo'd mine, I had to wash a lot off the truck and I did get one chip in the hood while doing it. Not saying you have to, but if you have the time it might not be a bad idea to get it out of the way.

Are you gonna run the F350 badges? I know I will once I get this D60 in and truck painted.

Quick Reply: my latest project: body work (pic heavy)