Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Just added turbo,low boost,high egt's? need advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM
bnd74
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just added turbo,low boost,high egt's? need advise

If someone could please give me some advise... I bought a good used 093 kit from a 94 and installed it on my 93, got the original downpipe and everything , put glowshift gauges in pyro and boost.. without fuel screw touched I could barely get 3 1/2 lbs of boost hitting 950 deg egt's... now I have it turned 1 flat and went and tried it this eve now I hit 4 psi and it went up to 1050-1100 .... both times i had to get the rpms up above 2500 just to get that boost.. of course this is all empty and not even pulling.. another note is that it didnt smoke at all before i turned it up 1 flat.. after i turned it up I tried it this eve of course its dark but didnt notice any excessive smoke .. but maybe a light haze i could see through the headlights of cars behind me. truck has 131k on it and ip and injectors are original.. plan on replacing in future just cant afford right now... could this be my ip timing causing the high egts ???

Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
timing could be the reason, as well as the injectors.
there is no blue smoke is there?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
bnd74
Freshman User
I had read some threads about the possibility of the ip retarding over time i guess from the wear... when I started it up earlier today I noticed a light puff of white smoke.. very light. about 2 years ago i was coming down a long mountain and coasting on the interstate foot of the throttle running about 2300 or so and after about 2-3 miles of coasting it was rolling white smoke... bad.. it done it twice .. but only under those conditions... could it be related ?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
white smoke is generally due to being advanced or worn injectors

you engine braking may have caused the engine to cool down to much in that case

does your truck use antifreeze?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
bnd74
Freshman User
no .. cooling system is clean as can be , I added a coolant filter on it several years ago and flushed never had any probs at all with cooling or losing antifreeze. I havent noticed any blue smoke either. I might be able to swing new injectors , but wouldnt i have to retime the pump or something if its worn too or could I maybe get by and would this help my egt prob possibly?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
even with worn injectors you shoud be able to pull of 5lbs or better. The fact that he's not smoking too bad makes me think you might have a boost and/or drive leak or a stuck wastegate. Is there a good amount of soot where the cast collector on the passenger side manifold meets the cast up-pipe to the turbo? Also check to make sure the wastegate lever moves freely (may be hard to move if its still connected to the actuator). Another thing to consider is the wastegate setting. If it came off a truck with far different miles/injectors/ect... the setting might give you a different boost pressure. The turbo on my truck came off my donor truck (that I drove for a few years) makes only 8 to 10 psi. The same turbo made 15 psi when it was in the previous vehicle.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
yea but if he is just dumping fuel into an engine that is not getting enough air she should smoke a lot. should he not?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
I'm guessing exhaust or intake leak as well, those cast uppipes can be a PITA to seal.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Right. But, 4 psi is still more than N/A. With fuel only turned up one flat a light haze doesn't sound to bad. As far as the 1000 egt, I easily hit that on a good stomp with only a little haze. He doesn't have to have a crazy amount of smoke to indicate a boost leak. Did you get a new pressure chamber gasket and o-ring? If the old ones were reused they could be oil soak and compressed to the point they may not be sealing correctly. The first turbo install I did I actually needed a thicker gasket than what came with the kit because the chamber would not line up well with the compressors discharge. These things are kinda tricky to get lined up just right. It took me a couple tries to get everything sealed up nicely.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by bnd74
I had read some threads about the possibility of the ip retarding over time i guess from the wear... when I started it up earlier today I noticed a light puff of white smoke.. very light. about 2 years ago i was coming down a long mountain and coasting on the interstate foot of the throttle running about 2300 or so and after about 2-3 miles of coasting it was rolling white smoke... bad.. it done it twice .. but only under those conditions... could it be related ?
Do you have an auto or manual transmission?
Because with a manual, coasting downhill using engine braking, once the engine speed is above what the foot pedal is asking for (and above idle), the fuel is shut off, so there is no way it should be smoking. I'm not sure how an auto will work in that situation.

Which "original" downpipe did you get? The Ford stock one thats squished and restricted? or the ATS aftermarket turbo design thats 3.5 inches and wide open. What do you have for an exhaust? that could be holding you back.

Like the others have mentioned look for leaks on both sides of the turbo, exhaust and intake. Also make sure you don't have anything leaking on the way to the boost gauge.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
bnd74
Freshman User
Thanks for all the response, I have a 5 speed and yes i have the squashed factory pipe going into a 3 inch straight to the tail.. ill have to get back under it and recheck all the pipes ect. doesnt sound like they are leaking but i dont trust all my hearing either. I had wondered if my boost gauge could possibly be off but when it does actually move I do start to feel the diff over the N/A ... I have the probe just below driver side manifold in crossover.. brand new gauge.. I was actually hoping it might be off but I dont think so. I used the rubber ring from my old breather for the snail if that is what you were referring to.. it was in good cond but maybe things arent sealed the way they should be also... i checked and rechecked and retighten everything over.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good way to check is to take a acetalyne torch and go over all welds or seals with just the acetalyne burning, no oxygen, if tehre is a leak, you will see the exhaust move the flame. Sounds to me like they are not sealed properly....i had to RTV my snail on the 84 motor i just put in, after I got things sealed up before the turbo blew, i built 12 lbs boost...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
You have boost gauge probe in crossover pipe under driver manifold?? Did I read that right?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No he has his EGT probe there lol.

Edit: Maybe not, I think that he might have said that too XD!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Oh ok good...I was Gunna say...well there's your problem lol

Quick Reply: Just added turbo,low boost,high egt's? need advise