Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All these talk about V,B,X Codes Springs

Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
jwronski
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone, need some help here in the spring dept. I recently purchased a 2000 Ex with 119,000 miles and when I went to Sunline Fan to pick up some parts, he commented that I did not have much room between my front spring and the bump stop, on the one side that still had a bump stop! Barely able to get a finger between the spring and stop. I have been reading ALOT of the steering wander thread and have concluded that I need to do an upgrade before I tow the Camper (34 ft Wilderness LE 7500# empty, who knows what after the wife packs it!) this spring with the family. I have finally been able to go look at a 2000 diesel dually that someone picked up to use the engine. I crawled under it today and found it had both front and rear sway bars and the spring codes of L C. Front specs for the L look to be 4850 #s and the rear C look to be 8250 #s based on the door tag. These are both over what my Ex with the G C codes have. Are they worth picking up? Most of what I have been seeing is about the V or X codes in the front or the Modded B or F in the rear. Any guidence is appreciated, as usual. Thanks

Old 02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
How many miles on the dually? 4x4, correct?

Those rear C codes work great for a spring upgrade, as long as they aren't too worn.

I'm not familiar with the L codes, but if that leaf spring is rated at the spec you have listed, it's a hair over a U code, which is rated at 4800.

The V's are rated at 5200.

Stewart

Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM
jwronski
Senior User
Thanks again Stewart. I did not think to check the mileage when I looked at the vehicle. I am sure that it has been "worked" since it has a sleeper box installed behind the cab. So the next question is, how would I know it the springs are worn without installing them since the vehicle is no longer drivable? Also since the springs are rated much higher than my originals, they should still be a improvement even if they are a "little" used? Depends if the price is right also. I just do not want to go through the time effort and money to get them and install and find out I would have been better off getting B's somewhere else.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
are the front's 3 leaf? The heaviest 2 leaf is the x code, after that you go to the f-450 up springs which are 3 leaf.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jwronski
I am sure that it has been "worked" since it has a sleeper box installed behind the cab. So the next question is, how would I know it the springs are worn without installing them since the vehicle is no longer drivable?
That's really subjective. What some may feel is a well worn, heavily used spring, others may accept as being "good enough" if you know what I mean.

Also since the springs are rated much higher than my originals, they should still be a improvement even if they are a "little" used?
One would think so, but again, that's a judgement call. You just never know when buying used.

I just do not want to go through the time effort and money to get them and install and find out I would have been better off getting B's somewhere else.
I hear ya, and I sympathize. It's a risk buying used stuff.

Stewart

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally has time to checking out the Junk Yard in Las Vegas today. I found only one has three Ford trucks. I did not check the doors to see what spring codes (my bad).

According to the junk yard man, one of them is a 99 F-250, and I saw another one he shows me was an F-350. He said both of the truck have the same springs front and rear. I think the F-350 rear has to be stiffer than F-250 correct. What about the front, are they the same F-250 and F-350 that is. I need re-read the wanderring post where there was a springs rate listed.

Anyway, junk yard wants $60 a piece, total $240. Is it a good price. Do I tell him take the shackle out also?

Thanks,

Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VQT
He said both of the truck have the same springs front and rear.
Unless he was looking at his computer that happened to have all the data that the door sticker has, I wouldn't trust that. I don't know how many shops I went to they claimed they had the right springs then when I showed up and actually looked, they had no clue what I was asking for.

When it comes to yards, trust YOUR eyes and ONLY your eyes.

Originally Posted by VQT
Anyway, junk yard wants $60 a piece, total $240. Is it a good price. Do I tell him take the shackle out also?
If the mileage is low, that's not bad at all. I got 50k sets for almost double that.

If the shackle includes the bolt, I'd take it. I say that because it was much faster/easier for me to just take a 4" cutting wheel and cut the old bolts off rather than mess with the drive shaft and all that blocks the bolts.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Robert,

Should I get the front F-350 with two leafs, rear sway bar, and F-250 rear? I didn't have time to look into the trucks to look for mileage since I was more interest in how many more heavy duty trucks they have. Turn out they only have three. Can't believed Las Vegas only have three Ford Heavy Duty truck in the junk yard.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Can anyone tell me how the V/B codes compare ride wise to any of the 4-6" aftermarket spring lifts available for the Excursion?

I've checked about every salvage yard within decent driving distance from me with no luck, and I'm not interested in buying used springs and having them shipped to me.

Now i am considering new v/b codes for around $775, plus shocks, Dual steering stabilizer, rear blocks, ubolts, etc.... Or just buying a complete lift for close to the same cost.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by VQT
Robert,

Should I get the front F-350 with two leafs, rear sway bar, and F-250 rear? I didn't have time to look into the trucks to look for mileage since I was more interest in how many more heavy duty trucks they have. Turn out they only have three. Can't believed Las Vegas only have three Ford Heavy Duty truck in the junk yard.
I'm not following..."front F-350 with two leafs" doesn't tell me the spring code. The number of leaves doesn't mean they all have the same rating...it's a combo of number of leaves and the tensile strength. Stock Excursion sets have 2 leaves but a lower rating...Vs are two leaves...I think Xs are two leaves too.

Use the spring code, not the number of leaves to decide what you want.

Also check the heavy truck dismantlers...that is where I found mine.
Plus, mileage makes a big difference in used springs...50k springs will have a big difference from 150k springs.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
How many miles on the dually? 4x4, correct?

Those rear C codes work great for a spring upgrade, as long as they aren't too worn.

I'm not familiar with the L codes, but if that leaf spring is rated at the spec you have listed, it's a hair over a U code, which is rated at 4800.

The V's are rated at 5200.

Stewart
Stewart, You mentioned C-Codes as a good upgrade for the rears. What information do you have about those on the rear of the excursion. Would one still have to do the modification like the B-Codes?
I have searched but didn't come up with much on using C-Codes. I ask because I may have access to a set of them and if its a good alternative to the B or F codes then I may take advantage of it.

Tim

Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
I'm not following..."front F-350 with two leafs" doesn't tell me the spring code. The number of leaves doesn't mean they all have the same rating...it's a combo of number of leaves and the tensile strength. Stock Excursion sets have 2 leaves but a lower rating...Vs are two leaves...I think Xs are two leaves too.

Use the spring code, not the number of leaves to decide what you want.

Also check the heavy truck dismantlers...that is where I found mine.
Plus, mileage makes a big difference in used springs...50k springs will have a big difference from 150k springs.
Okay!

Checking some more salvage yard and re-read the V/B Codes springs change to better understand these thing before jumpping in and buy.

Thanks,

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by VQT
I think the F-350 rear has to be stiffer than F-250 correct.
Nope, not correct.

What I mean is, it's not safe to assume.

What about the front, are they the same F-250 and F-350 that is.
They are only the same if they are the same, if you know what I mean.

The springs weren't selected based on the truck being a 250 or a 350, that's why you need to see the spring code on the door tag.

Stewart

Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
that's why you need to see the spring code on the door tag.
X2

Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Nope, not correct.

What I mean is, it's not safe to assume.

They are only the same if they are the same, if you know what I mean.

The springs weren't selected based on the truck being a 250 or a 350, that's why you need to see the spring code on the door tag.

Stewart

I checking with other junk yard near by, this yard seem to know more than the first but has no super duty truck. He did ask what spring codes I am looking for... after checking on his computer, he said springs from 99 to 01 are interchangerble and did not indicate weather the newer year will fit, his computer also show that F-250 leaf spring is 3" wide whereas F-350 leaf spring is 3.5" wide (with the same thickness I presume). Is this information correct?

I will definitely check the door tag and bring my tape mearsure the next time. Just want to double check, did you said F-250 springs from 99 to 04 will fit all excursion? Seem to me F-250, F-350 and Excursion share the same frame so 99 to 04 should fit, and F-250 05 and newer has coil springs...

Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All these talk about V,B,X Codes Springs