First look!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First look!

205.jpg picture by H_A_S_R - Photobucket

Here is my `58 after the final mock up. It has an `86 Jag ifs sunk 2" up into the frame and a `94 Mark VIII irs set as high into the frame as possible without raising the bed floor. The rockers are 1" off the ground. Obviously the correct wheels and tires are not installed. When they are, the truck should come up about another inch. The aluminum `94 4.6 DOHC engine is also used in this build.

John

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
I tried to get the pics to show up here but couldn't...

Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM
KustomKidd
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by H_A_S_R
205.jpg picture by H_A_S_R - Photobucket

Here is my `58 after the final mock up. It has an `86 Jag ifs sunk 2" up into the frame and a `94 Mark VIII irs set as high into the frame as possible without raising the bed floor. The rockers are 1" off the ground. Obviously the correct wheels and tires are not installed. When they are, the truck should come up about another inch. The aluminum `94 4.6 DOHC engine is also used in this build.

John

Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Jclars
Freshman User
Hi John,

Lookin' good!

I have the same parts for my 56, except using an 89 T-bird SC rear. Not going as low, but tempted.

Also attracted to the 4.6L as an option. Although I am also considering the supercharged V6 from the T-bird. (I know, I know, why on earth a V6. I am getting continually razzed about that particular choice.) However, wondering if you or anyone out there might have any good links to builds that detail installing all the computer related stuff to these more modern engines?

Thanks,
John L

Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM
hawk1959
RATROD58

im doing the same thing to my 59 , did you move your jag axle forward to center it because i heard some guys move it about 1 1/2 forward is that true , thanks nick

Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jclars
Hi John,

However, wondering if you or anyone out there might have any good links to builds that detail installing all the computer related stuff to these more modern engines?

Thanks,
John L
I bought an EVTM manual from Helms for my wiring. It looks like it's gonna be pretty simple. I'm sure there are aftermarket harnesses available. As for the supercharged V6. AWESOME! I always dare to be a little different too. I had thought about the Supercoupe engine but I wanted an engine that would fill the monsterous engine bay but still got good mileage. I bought a complete (slightly wrecked) Mark VIII for use as my donor car, stripped everything possible, then sold or scrapped the rest. It was a pretty economical way to get the combination I wanted.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by hawk1959
im doing the same thing to my 59 , did you move your jag axle forward to center it because i heard some guys move it about 1 1/2 forward is that true , thanks nick

It does need to be moved forward. Some guys go 1 1/2", others go 2". I think it depends on the look you want and the tire size. I moved mine forward 1 1/2" inches. I will be running 26" tires on mine.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by H_A_S_R

John
Btw, in case anyone is wondering, the truck is bagged......

Old 11-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Jclars
Freshman User
Maybe I will fit two V6's in there! I believe the stock HP's are similar for both. I have another option in the wings, and that is that my current 2003 F150 pictured in my avatar has about 126k miles and I may talk my accountant into replacing the engine with something with a little more umph. Then voila, its two more cylinders on the cheap. But there is just something about doing something a little unconventional...

John, can you provide a link to the book you mentioned by Helms. (specific to the V6 or 4.6)? Thanks, you can be sure I will be following your build!

John L.

Just starting to get into this forum, so excuse me if I am stealing this thread. Also, like the idea of posting the future build info in the signature, so getting a lot of ideas from your posting - Thanks!

Old 11-13-2011, 03:11 AM
hawk1959
RATROD58

thanks john for the info , your truck looks good , keep up the good work

Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 AM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jclars

John, can you provide a link to the book you mentioned by Helms. (specific to the V6 or 4.6)? Thanks, you can be sure I will be following your build!
Helm Incorporated: Choose Product Category

They are model specific books. Just enter your info. Year, make, model, etc. The books aren't cheap but they are worth every penny!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HASR really love that "bad" looking 58. Awesome.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tomget
HASR really love that "bad" looking 58. Awesome.

Thanks! I've been collecting my "vision" of this truck for over a year. Since The chassis is coming along fine, it will be blown apart and finished. In the meantime, there are MANY body modifications to be made. Some are very subtle, some are not. All should work together well to complete my vision of how this truck should look!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If that's what rocks your boat, have fun w/ the Olde Girl.
I've never cared for the possibility of having Vital Systems being Snagged on something & Torn Off or the Oil Pan punctured, as I'm driving around because it's so low to the ground.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
If that's what rocks your boat, have fun w/ the Olde Girl.
I've never cared for the possibility of having Vital Systems being Snagged on something & Torn Off or the Oil Pan punctured, as I'm driving around because it's so low to the ground.
What's nice about the Jag IFS and the Mark VIII IRS is the extreme range of travel. Both will go up 6" easily to avoid obsticles.......

Quick Reply: First look!