Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Tulsa Area GTG @ Gary's

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still planning on being there with the race car this time, the 72 truck is not running at the moment so it will be left at home.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jwtimme
I'm still planning on being there with the race car this time, the 72 truck is not running at the moment so it will be left at home.
Looking forward to it!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Still planning to be there, and may bring my son Chris. Of course, that will require getting him away from the PS3, PC and bed all at the same time. Not an easy thing to do......

Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Looking forward to it! And, he'll hopefully meet Bruno's son Kris - assuming he gives up the same things.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Well, the FE may be out. I broke off one of the exhaust manifold bolts while attempting to replace the manifold gasket......

Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Been there done that, the top bolts always are a pain. Ever since I have been using pb blaster have had no problems problems. A 90 degree drill helps in drilling them out.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I have an air drill that is 6 1/2" in length w/o the bit. But, as RW and I discussed on some other thread, I think welding a nut to the top of the bolt is a better approach.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jwtimme
Been there done that, the top bolts always are a pain. Ever since I have been using pb blaster have had no problems problems. A 90 degree drill helps in drilling them out.
Yeah, it's a top bolt. All the bottom bolts were barely snugged, or so loose it's a wonder they didn't fall out.....
At least it's the front passenger side bolt. The only one on that side with any real room around it.
The bolt head twisted off rather easy, so I was hoping a good 24 hr soaking with PB blaster would allow me to get ahold of the bolt with channel locks/vise grips and spin it out. It doesn't want to give, yet........

Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Yeah, it's a top bolt. All the bottom bolts were barely snugged, or so loose it's a wonder they didn't fall out.....
At least it's the front passenger side bolt. The only one on that side with any real room around it.
The bolt head twisted off rather easy, so I was hoping a good 24 hr soaking with PB blaster would allow me to get ahold of the bolt with channel locks/vise grips and spin it out. It doesn't want to give, yet........
How about heat? PB Blast it, heat it, blast, heat, etc. Causes wicking of the Blaster.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
How about heat? PB Blast it, heat it, blast, heat, etc. Causes wicking of the Blaster.
Been applying heat the old fashioned way, start the engine......
I don't have a torch handy, so I have to improvise. The manifold is bolted back in place for now, so I can soak and start as needed.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
I was going to suggest you use the engine for heating up the bolt. A torch or welding nut to it should do the trick if running the engins hasnt worked yet. I have had a few go arounds with broken bolts and they never are any fun. I hope we can get that sucker whooped this weekend.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Looks a little windy but the temp is good

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary's Tulsa Area GTG Pictures

I did take a few pictures while we were getting together. And, while not as many as our "official photographer", driven in especially from Denver just for the occasion, some of them are attached. (Those that aren't were either not fit or have already been used as someone's mug shot.)

From top to bottom they are:
  • Our intrepid moderator, ctubutis, caught with his hand in the bag.
  • FTE'er jwtimme, who hangs out in the 67 - 72 forum for the most part, with his '72 Mustang drag car. He subsequently backed it off the trailer and rattled every window in the neighborhood.
  • From left to right: Rogue_Wulff; Bruno2; Bruno's friend Jason; and jbf1504x4 - all sitting in RW's "undercover Ford".
  • Bruno2 & his son, Kris, media blasting a part
  • Jason, Chris, Kris, and Bruno2 under Bruno's Bronco
  • RW tightening the mirror with Kris giving instructions
We had a really good time, and didn't finally break up until ~10:30 PM. Thanks for coming, guys!!!

Attached Images       
Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
My report on the CCONEOKFTEGTG - held March 17, 2012 (*pic heavy*)

First of all, I need to thank Gary for inviting me out to his garagemahal for his GTG... I learned that he is one of the nicest people anybody can ever meet, is a noble citizen of his community he says this concerns him as he's been there only 6 years and everybody knows him well, at least the guys at his church & the auto parts store (not one and the same) do, an Elder at his church who ran the Bible Study class he took me to talk about excruciating microanalysis of the meaning of a single word, they dissected all of maybe 3 sentences in the hour-long session and I think we're all lucky to have him in our lives.

Not only did he invite me out there, he also gave me a place to sleep, fed me, took me on a Grand Tour of downtown Podunk & surrounding area where JWTimme hopes to be building houses, and tolerated my sometimes, um, unsavory language, without getting offended at least that he would admit to.

People who came:

JBF1504x4
Rogue_Wulff
Bruno & his son Kris & buddy Jason
JWTimme
Me & Gary

Got to see & drive Rusty & his dad's truck

tempo-rusty-dad by ctubutis, on Flickr

If I were to sum up his shop, this guy is more than somewhat organized

unorganized-tools by ctubutis, on Flickr

unorganized-tools-2 by ctubutis, on Flickr

unorganized-tools-3 by ctubutis, on Flickr

unorganized-tools-4 by ctubutis, on Flickr

Gary with two of his toys, it's no wonder it seems he's always here; if some computer somewhere isn't, his iPhone is

gary-with-toys by ctubutis, on Flickr

Most of the mechanical work was to Bruno's Bronco, they installed a fuel pressure regulator after first fabbing up some connecting & mounting parts

regulator-installation by ctubutis, on Flickr

bruno-bronco by ctubutis, on Flickr

Previously, Bruno's buddy Jason did some welding to a piece of the spare tire carrier from the Bronco, this is his powder-coating booth, complete with spinny, twirly thing at the top in typical Gary fashion, he will detail the CFM requirements to pull just the right amount of air through the wall and into the filter

powdering-booth by ctubutis, on Flickr

bruno-gary-powdering by ctubutis, on Flickr

The oven in which the part will be baked

powdering-oven by ctubutis, on Flickr

bruno-kris-jason-oven-2 by ctubutis, on Flickr

Cont'd...

A Ford padlock for the spare tire... I have vague recollections of seeing these things 30-some years ago when I worked at a gas station as a teenager, RW says there are bajillions of 'em out there

ford-padlock by ctubutis, on Flickr

The Super Bee I've seen mention of now & then

superbee by ctubutis, on Flickr

JWTimme's drag stang

jwtimme-stang by ctubutis, on Flickr

jwtimme-stang2 by ctubutis, on Flickr

jwtimme-stang3 by ctubutis, on Flickr

Conclusion

I'm glad I went, this was a lot of fun and thank you again for everything, Gary!

There are a few more pictures in a slideshow format in one of my Flickr albums HERE.

To anybody else who wants to go to future events here, don't blow off what your GPS is telling you on the thought that Gary knows better how to get you there and you should follow his directions instead... unless you're interested in little side trips through smaller Podunk towns as you look for the 2nd stop sign because Gary forgot about the Y in the road...............

Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice report, Chris. I liked your coverage of the event. Wow... Gary... what an epic garage you have.

Quick Reply: Tulsa Area GTG @ Gary's