6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel system problems, warranty possibly denied

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
JohnP3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have customers that have the 6.7's I do not recommended fuel conditioners because they may make the water molecules small enough to go threw the filter. I was under the impression that the trucks have two filters, and if the primary that Ford makes does not stop the water, that would be their fault, period.
It just seams amazing that Ford can put filters on a unit that do not work and then not cover it under warranty.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
No he didn't say water but the message reported (I'm assuming to drain) and it trips when water is detected at the sensor, correct?
don't know...yet...but I have opened a private dialog with the OP

But...why does Ford bother to tell you to drain the water from the separator when the "WIF" light comes on. Their reasoning in the Owners Manual is to prevent water damage to the fuel system. Under the current rules, a WIF light is tantamount to a complete fuel system failure and warranty denial...unacceptable at any level...and Shameful

Shame on Ford

Peace

Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Hmmm...this again.

Sample size increases again, strangely enough.

I believe we're on number 6....

30% increase in HPOP failure samples in 1 month....not looking good.

Best of luck with that "warranty" thing bro.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by dbc001
Correct me if wrong but I thought the CEL was mainly for the pollution control systems, DEf, DPF, NoX, EGR etc. If so doesn't make sense the dealer replaced the HPFP.

Agreed, why would they replace a HPFP for a CEL?
There is not P088 but P0088 is "Fuel Rail pressure too high".
(Good thing IMHO)

Did your HPFP fail? Or they just replaced it under warranty because of a CEL?
If it's already replaced why do they want receipts?
More detail please.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM
consolidated
Freshman User
Originally Posted by darren32
Agreed, why would they replace a HPFP for a CEL?
There is not P088 but P0088 is "Fuel Rail pressure too high".
(Good thing IMHO)

Did your HPFP fail? Or they just replaced it under warranty because of a CEL?
If it's already replaced why do they want receipts?
More detail please.

Thanks
They asked for receipts from the gas stations I've used, supposedly to blame them I'm guessing, which means it's not covered. I just printed three months of credit card history to give them tomorrow.

I don't know why the replaced the fuel pump, I thought it odd, but at the time was happy to be back on the road. The service ticket is in the truck, but I recall it didn't have itemization, just general descriptions of warranty work. If I can get to the truck tomorrow I'll pull them out.

Yes, they mentioned something about fuel pressure being the issue, so perhaps it's P0088.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by consolidated
They asked for receipts from the gas stations I've used, supposedly to blame them I'm guessing, which means it's not covered. I just printed three months of credit card history to give them tomorrow.

I don't know why the replaced the fuel pump, I thought it odd, but at the time was happy to be back on the road. The service ticket is in the truck, but I recall it didn't have itemization, just general descriptions of warranty work. If I can get to the truck tomorrow I'll pull them out.

Yes, they mentioned something about fuel pressure being the issue, so perhaps it's P0088.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Has anyone tried installing an aftermarket in-line filter/water separator in one of these? It seems that either the factory filter/separator isn't quite up to the job or the fuel pump is simply too sensitive to impurities (or a combination of the two).

Also, the WIF light does not seem to functioning for its intended purpose. Traditionally this came on to alert you that there was water in the separator that needed to be drained. Now it seems to just be a herald of impending doom. To make the message more appropriate for what is about to happen, when the water sensor is triggered, a message should appear on the dash that says "YOU'RE SCREWED!"

Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 AM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
An aftermarket fuel filter would be difficult in view of warranty issues:

If you installed it instead of the existing Ford denies warranty.
If you installed it as well as the existing you could have fuel pressure issues pushing it through 2 filters and Ford denies warranty

Now if I was out of warranty I would be adding a second filter WITH its own lift pump and setup to meet the specified pressures. There are a number of filters out there that claim to separate water and or air very well. IMHO.

Good luck to OP.

Ok Tom, we really need that smiling horse icon about now!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User

If you installed it as well as the existing you could have fuel pressure issues pushing it through 2 filters and Ford denies warranty

Now if I was out of warranty I would be adding a second filter WITH its own lift pump and setup to meet the specified pressures. There are a number of filters out there that claim to separate water and or air very well. IMHO.

Good luck to OP.

I don't see why you would worry too much about voiding the warranty. It appears that nearly all of the fuel system failures are not being covered by warranty anyway.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
p12483
Senior User
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
I don't see why you would worry too much about voiding the warranty. It appears that nearly all of the fuel system failures are not being covered by warranty anyway.
I second that, we are all worried about this warranty, which for the most part seems to be non existent. Can anyone show where Ford covered a HPFP? I would say its worth the risk to install a secondary fuel system. Ford has yet to cover it, what are they gonna say anyways... you had to much protection for your fuel system? I would think you would have a better chance going after the company of the secondary system also. Either way, I think if anyones nervous about it, I personally would install. I find it troubling that this system was designed for up to B20, but it cannot tolerate a drop of water. I thought B20 has a much higher water content than regular diesel. I'm sad to say... this definitely has me looking at cummins right now. I bought this truck cause i wanted it to last for a long time without major repairs. 12 grand for something that can break the very next week is not something i can handle.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
rickatic
Postmaster

Good luck to OP.

If you are inferring "dead horse" here, why is another thread started by a new member about an increasing issue considered beating a dead horse?

As time passes, we are seeing more of the same issue with owners receiving the same shameful treatment from Ford. We are not seeing happy owners reporting any HPFP failures that have been covered by Ford.

This trend is becoming even more disturbing...maybe Ford can spend some of those profits they are making on PM22A additive sales to pay for some of these repairs...yeah...right...

Shame on Ford

Peace

Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Well I am starting the process of getting another truck to replace an aging cadilac. Just a half ton but not thinking Ford

Old 01-25-2012, 08:21 AM
dbc001
Tuned

While it does indeed look like there is not much being covered on fuel systems I dont know if I would poke the bear on the offshot that a Ford rep bumped his/her head and actually approved one under warranty Seriously though one would have to careful to setup the 2nd filter correctly observing require flow and fuel pressures. IMHO it might be worthwhile, however, that still doesnt address the lubricity problem. Maybe something like they used to have on 2 stroke motorcycles ..... a fuel lubricity injection system!

Rick ..... by the dead horse I am in no way referring to the issue itself, rather everytime the issue arrises we seem to get a thread 4000 posts long where many rehash the same or similar content to previous threads, someone mentions the legal thing, we start talking about VW's, bashing starts, Tom does some wrist slapping, and the thread likely, (not all the time) justifiably gets closed. If you were to read my previous posts on this topic, (very active in Oct. 2011) you would see I support the issue, your issue, and also owning one of these puppies share the overall concern. Geeze I get your not a happy camper and have a large hole in your pocket that shouldnt be there but not everyone is against you or the issue. Some may have their heads in the sand but I can assure you I do not. Again in my posts; I keep receipts, add FM22 every fill, drain the damned DWF whatever you call it, (which is a pain when it is -20c outside) and anything else that comes along to mitigate the issue. I have 20/20 vision and realize I may receive the lightening bolt one day. Ok, are we better now?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
While it does indeed look like there is not much being covered on fuel systems I dont know if I would poke the bear on the offshot that a Ford rep bumped his/her head and actually approved one under warranty Seriously though one would have to careful to setup the 2nd filter correctly observing require flow and fuel pressures. IMHO it might be worthwhile, however, that still doesnt address the lubricity problem. Maybe something like they used to have on 2 stroke motorcycles ..... a fuel lubricity injection system!

Rick ..... by the dead horse I am in no way referring to the issue itself, rather everytime the issue arrises we seem to get a thread 4000 posts long where many rehash the same or similar content to previous threads, someone mentions the legal thing, we start talking about VW's, bashing starts, Tom does some wrist slapping, and the thread likely, (not all the time) justifiably gets closed. If you were to read my previous posts on this topic, (very active in Oct. 2011) you would see I support the issue, your issue, and also owning one of these puppies share the overall concern. Geeze I get your not a happy camper and have a large hole in your pocket that shouldnt be there but not everyone is against you or the issue. Some may have their heads in the sand but I can assure you I do not. Again in my posts; I keep receipts, add FM22 every fill, drain the damned DWF whatever you call it, (which is a pain when it is -20c outside) and anything else that comes along to mitigate the issue. I have 20/20 vision and realize I may receive the lightening bolt one day. Ok, are we better now?
never was "not better"...

The OP has an interesting story. I had a nice phone conversation with him last night. His dealer may be dumber than Randito's. The WIF situation was less than a half inch of water drained out of the fuel separator into a 20 ounce bottle...seeing that it would take over one third of the bottle to contain enough water to turn on the WIF light, it appears that the warning system did not operate correctly. The dealer never saw any water...and is claiming a biodiesel problem now.

This truck has 8500 miles on it...I hope he has a happy outcome today...but I am not too confident...

Regards

Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM
dbc001
Tuned

I am so glad we don't have biodiesel cramed down our pumps here.

Quick Reply: Fuel system problems, warranty possibly denied