Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 F350 Dually front axle sag...Ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 F350 Dually front axle sag...Ball joints?

This is a 240k mile truck with oem dually wheels and has the diesel engine. Needs a front end alignment and pulls hard left while driving. When parked with the wheels straight and looking towards the truck from a distance, i happened to notice that the steer wheels arent directly vertical. There is a little more on the bottom that is outward than the top. Almost like worn ball joints on the upper front end that would allow the top ball joint to be word so that the wheel drops inward toward the engine. I havent jacked up the front end yet, and am going to take it in for an alignment to see if this is correctable. A few years ago i had a 94 that we replaced the ball joints so i know what it entails. Although it was from a different realization than what is described here. Any help is appreciated !!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:22 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sagging front ends are usually due to worn springs.
Wiggly front ends are usually due to worn connections - tie rods, ball joints, et al.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
Thankx, i was beginning to think like that as well. Would it be wise to consider a front alignment might be able to offest the sagging effect?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like worn ball joints to me. If so an alignment won`t fix it.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Fungus232
Senior User
This is interesting as my '95 F-150 4x4 is doing the same thing. When looking straight on from a distance front tires look something like this: / \ where they are closer to each other at the top than the bottom. I've got worn ball joints on my '69 Bronco D-44 and it's awaiting the time for the replacements and those tires are straight up and down even with the worn ball joints: | |

If worn springs would fix the problem with the '95 I'd love the excuse to throw some MOOG CC844s under it to bring the front end up level with the rear!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alignment won't fix weak springs either.. If your front end is sitting pretty close to the bump stops there is a good chance the springs are worn out, especially with the weight of the diesel engine sitting there all these years.

You need to check the ball joints before wasting money on an alignment.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fungus232
This is interesting as my '95 F-150 4x4 is doing the same thing. When looking straight on from a distance front tires look something like this: / \ where they are closer to each other at the top than the bottom. I've got worn ball joints on my '69 Bronco D-44 and it's awaiting the time for the replacements and those tires are straight up and down even with the worn ball joints: | |

If worn springs would fix the problem with the '95 I'd love the excuse to throw some MOOG CC844s under it to bring the front end up level with the rear!

These trucks do look kinda bow legged after backing up.. So look at the tires after pulling forward about 10 or so feet before you condemn any thing.. Another thing, if it has too much toe in it will make it look bad even if everything is OK.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Fungus232
Senior User
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
These trucks do look kinda bow legged after backing up.. So look at the tires after pulling forward about 10 or so feet before you condemn any thing.. Another thing, if it has too much toe in it will make it look bad even if everything is OK.
Very good point. I typically back into my parking spots both at home and work. This is my first TTB truck so I'm learnin'!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MONAVIERONJON
This is a 240k mile truck with oem dually wheels and has the diesel engine. Needs a front end alignment and pulls hard left while driving. When parked with the wheels straight and looking towards the truck from a distance, i happened to notice that the steer wheels arent directly vertical. There is a little more on the bottom that is outward than the top. Almost like worn ball joints on the upper front end that would allow the top ball joint to be word so that the wheel drops inward toward the engine. I havent jacked up the front end yet, and am going to take it in for an alignment to see if this is correctable. A few years ago i had a 94 that we replaced the ball joints so i know what it entails. Although it was from a different realization than what is described here. Any help is appreciated !!!!
Either ball joints or wheel bearings.

I will assure your truck is a cab-n-chassi model?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
I sure did back in and only noticed it then, so while it does pull harshly to the left and considering mileage i was already pricing ball joints as the diesel motor is quite heavy anyway and the f350 coils seem tired. This was a dually extended cab truck that has the cab replaced to a standard cab. Thankx again for all the input from everyone.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
Got the results today and Lazy K was right on. Wasnt able to perform an alignment since both upper ball joints are bad, they also recommended right drag link outer tie rod, and left and right radius arm bushings replaced as well. So now its time to do at least the upper ball joints. Who would be the best resource for parts? Dont just want order any ball joints from auto zone since they sell so much chinese junk and dont spec test at all. Thankx!!!!!!!1

Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Give rockauto.com a try for them and try to get Moog stuff. Also there is a 5% discount code floating around here somewhere for rockauto.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I would put in XRF parts. They are a better quality than the Moogs, have a better warranty and WAY cheaper

http://www.thetireclub.com/content.w...RUCK_KITS.HTML

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
MONAVIERONJON
Laughing Gas
Thankx for all the help, and I went with Diesel BRad's advice for the tire club.com and bought 2 upper u joints and radius arm bushing kit ,shipping included for $74.00. This should make a big defference when installed as these diesel fronts ends seem to wear faster.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
RJJP
Senior User
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
Check out the radius arm bushing after backing up.

Quick Reply: 96 F350 Dually front axle sag...Ball joints?