1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

name of special tool needed to do alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why don't you just bring it back and have them finish the job they started and you paid for! Besides, wouldn't a pipe wrench or chain wrench or channel locks or something like that work. And if it's an alignment shop and the guy who did the alignment didn't have the tool, what makes you think he's qualified to do the job in the first place? I was thinking maybe they were needing to adjust the camber and possibly needed an air chisel or something or a different size camber bushing. Just a guess though!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM
muddywater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bulla
Why don't you just bring it back and have them finish the job they started and you paid for! Besides, wouldn't a pipe wrench or chain wrench or channel locks or something like that work. And if it's an alignment shop and the guy who did the alignment didn't have the tool, what makes you think he's qualified to do the job in the first place? I was thinking maybe they were needing to adjust the camber and possibly needed an air chisel or something or a different size camber bushing. Just a guess though!
if you try to use channel locks, pipe wrench or chain wrench you pinch the sleeve together and makes it very hard to turn the sleeve to make your adjustment. its possible just very hard.

also hes right you shouldnt' have even paid for anything and they should have known if they were qualified to do the job that they needed the tools and didn't have them.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bulla
They didnt charge me when they realized they couldnt make the necessary adjustment. But yes they ordered the tool and will do it tomorrow.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by muddywater
if they were qualified to do the job that they needed the tools and didn't have them.
Hey its MERCHANTS TIRE....thats their core business...so I suppose youre right, but it turns out it was this one mechanic who didnt have the tool. The other guys had it but they werent in the shop at the time.

Should Merchant's stock every imaginable specialty alignment tool for their mechanics...probably...

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
muddywater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know what or who merchants tire is but sounds like its a decent place to go if they ordered the tool and didn't charge you to check your alignment. good to hear they treated you right.

my shops core business is suspension work, brakes and alignments. I have to buy every special tool i need to use. so if you have any more questions like this just pm me ill do my best to answer them for you.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by muddywater
i dont know what or who merchants tire is but sounds like its a decent place to go if they ordered the tool and didn't charge you to check your alignment. good to hear they treated you right.

my shops core business is suspension work, brakes and alignments. I have to buy every special tool i need to use. so if you have any more questions like this just pm me ill do my best to answer them for you.
Merchant's/NTB/Tire Kingdom/etc....nationwide conglomerate.

It depends on the particular store manager and the clientele of that store. They shape each other, so to speak. The worse the neighborhood the more combative the customers the "slimmier" the staff...that's my experience.

The guys at this store were very very nice. Decent neighborhood.

Thanks for your help MUDDYH20....