Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Edge Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
ranstl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Opinions

We're considering the 2011 Edge. Not sure if we'll go with the Sport or SEL. I would like to hear some real world opinions/issues you all are experiencing.

We definitely like the panoramic roof. We like the grill and wheels of the Sport...just not sure if it's worth the extra $$$. Undecided on the front wheel drive or AWD option.

Thx for your input...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The sport also has some body moldings that are added on. The wheels you could buy cheaper outside than from Ford. If you live where winter snow and ice, then awd is nice to have. My wife's 2008 awd limited works very well in the snow, and has the big moonroof. She likes it, although she does not open it that often. She likes the natural light coming in.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Bought an 07 rental buy back last year and have enjoyed it. As 38Chevy454 said, the awd in the snow was great, it also has an awd shut off button on the shifter if you don't want to stay awd all the time. When you put the rear seats down you can carry a lot of stuff.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Brianf250
New User
Just bought my wife 2011 SEL Edge. She's had it for a month and loves it. Interior is well thought out, nice options, steering wheel controls are well positioned. Quiet smooth ride and surprisingly tight. She is always commenting that it's "cute" so it's cute too. This replaced her 06 4-runner (she was rear ended, totaled). The only thing she would change is the rear window doesn't open, our dogs are with her for most of the day. Over-all very happy with the new cross over...I would suggest the SEL, sport is very pricey for a few additional options...good luck!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 304 Likes on 279 Posts
'08 SEL AWD here. As mentioned AWD is great in the snow, great ride, decent power, etc. As Brian mentioned, save the $$$$ and get the SEL or even a Limited.

BTW, this is the wife's baby.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 AM
OmahaEcoBoost
Junior User
Originally Posted by Brianf250
Just bought my wife 2011 SEL Edge. She's had it for a month and loves it. Interior is well thought out, nice options, steering wheel controls are well positioned. Quiet smooth ride and surprisingly tight. She is always commenting that it's "cute" so it's cute too. This replaced her 06 4-runner (she was rear ended, totaled). The only thing she would change is the rear window doesn't open, our dogs are with her for most of the day. Over-all very happy with the new cross over...I would suggest the SEL, sport is very pricey for a few additional options...good luck!
This. We got an SEL about a month ago. We've been nothing but impressed since day one. It's a fantastic vehicle that is so well put together. My friends have a 2009 or 2010 Honda Pilot that I've driven...I'd say the Edge is better built and has far more technology than the Pilot. It has tremendous power and decent gas mileage. We went with the AWD so we have yet to test it. Panaramic roof is great, MyTouch is pretty slick, plenty of room, great looking...couldn't be happier.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 PM
RedLang
Freshman User
OK. So you want a review right?

My wifey has a '10 Edge Limited AWD in Ohio doing sales for 78K miles, hwy+city+family weekends. Man does she drive like Shiz too, late braking, slams accelerator whens its 20deg outside right after starting it, im talking no mercy on this edge. Ford maintenence all paid for warranty....9 yards.

Engine/Trans: Things runs GREAT. Doesnt sound any different than it did since 5k miles. Maybe a little personality and MPG went down 2-3Gal.

Suspension/Brakes: Havnt done brakes YET! They started a little vibration around 70K mi. At 78K mi. they shake at 40mph. So they need done. Suspension still firm, quiet.

Paint/Body: Besides the hairline scratches from her bags with metal crap all over, snow, hail, sleet...Ohio weather. GREAT.

Plus as mentioned the AWD is sooo much fun in snow. On ice it handles great too. Last year i slid a couple times but they did a good job with the traction control.

Overall the car rocks. It is girly yes, looks plump whatever but would recommend again. I could say that the storage room inside the vehicle is not what the outside portrays but were not hauling furniture around alll the time. Thats what the truck is for.

Thats my .25

Jeff

Old 10-16-2011, 09:08 PM
86pullerf350
Mountain Pass
My girlfriend just got an 07 AWD SEL with 69,5xx miles. She has had it for about a month now and totally loves it. She is getting out of an 03 KIA Sorento (POS in my opinion). The Edge has lots of get up and go and it stops on a dime. It averages about 19.5 - 20 mpgs. I am used to driving trucks and when I drive the Edge, it feels like I'm in a sports car, so I drive that way! I can't wait to drive it in the snow. I live on a mountain in NH so snow gets pretty deep up here.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought a SPORT. I was not interested in the SEL or Limited, as I just sold my Mercedes ML500 Sport and did not want a "plain" looking ride. The Sport is a great package, I love the grill and the wheels make a great appearance. I dont know about other years, the 2012 Sport has a 3.7 in it, and dang, its quick. I opted for FWD, saves me 2-4 MPG, and its quieter in the cabin. I drove a few AWD units and did not care for the extra noise, expense, fuel consumption. We live in rural Michigan, and know all about snow, ice, mud. There are no reservations about this vehicle, it handles great in all conditions, especially if you can find how to turn off the traction control. Its my wifes car, lady driven to work and back, shopping, etc. Very roomy, very comfortable. But I HATE the My Ford Touch portion. Aside from that, the paddle shifters work well, and automatically switch the dash to tach mode when you use them.

You will have some options to weigh, as I did:
--moon roof is expensive, and I dont like them, but the black roof looks sweet.
--AWD is nice option, but if the weather is that bad, then dont go out. If you do go out, be smart and have your headlights on so people can see you coming. The FWD handles great and will keep a smart person from going where they are not supposed to.
--Sport option was worth every penny for me. Just like my Mercedes Sport, its a somewhat rare option and comes with a powerful motor.
-- Power lift gate - would not pay extra for this again.
-- Backup camera - part of the poorly designed My Ford Touch, choppy video, lens in bad location, seems to attract dirt.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM
vlmach1
Freshman User
enjoy ur new ride

Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been looking at the Edge too - trying to decide between Edge, Explorer, or Flex. Thanks for this post and the Edge reviews. Sounds good to me...