Mileage: 140000
Color: Between Orange and Red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): IN
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 4WD & AWD
Color: Orange
Engine: 350

I'll sell it or trade it for a nice enclosed trailer that's at least 6' wide (has to fit my mower in the back) and about 10' long. If it doesn't sell in a couple of weeks I'm going to park it on the farm and use it there. Feel free to reply here with any questions. It runs good, I wouldn't be afraid to drive to St. Louis with it tomorrow.

'78 GMC 4x4 long bed with working AC

978 GMC 3/4 ton pickup truck. I bought this last year to haul wood and clean up my rural property while saving up money for a new truck. I pick up my new truck Saturday, so this one is now for sale. This is a picture from when I bought it, the license plate is no longer available, sorry.

Its a regular cab with an 8' bed. 350 motor, TH400 transmission, and has working four wheel drive.

I bought the truck and the previous owner had just redone the brakes and brake lines. It needed a little more work, which I did. It is not originally an air-conditioned truck and has the foot vents, but an AC was installed. The brackets were incorrect and you couldn't tighten the belts enough. I tracked down the missing brackets and now the belts run quiet and the AC blows cold. I had Jim of Jim's Carb Exchange put a rebuilt carb on the truck and tune it. One pump of the pedal to set the choke and it fires right up. On the coldest days, two pumps. 4-barrel carb on aluminum intake. Thick walled headers installed right, no warping and no "ping-ping-ping" sound that you get from thin crappy headers. It has good tires and is reliable. I drive it 180 mile round trip down to Scott and Clark County about once a month and its never left me stranded.

Cab is very straight, as are fenders and hood. No rust in the doors and cab corners, a little surface rust on the front edge of the hood. Driver's fender is about perfect, passenger fender has a dent around the reflector area. Bed has a spray in bed liner, tail gate closes and opens like it should. Rust around wheel wells on both sides and passenger side has a big spot of rust above the wheel well. Diamond plate tool box with locking latch.

The bad: vertical crack in the windshield from a hailstone. Not in the driver's view and doesn't leak. Transmission has a non-pressure leak somewhere up front. It loses 1.5 quarts if you drive it or not and then stops. Just an ooze, not a steady drip even while running. I was quoted $350 to fix it at McRae's Auto in Scottsburg, but as slow as it leaks I just top it off the first of each month. Will need front u-joints eventually. They are a bit rusty and when you engage 4x4 they make a click sound. 4x4 engages fine and pulls hard, just noisy. No horn. Radio has a short in it somewhere and you have to sometimes jiggle the wires or it hisses. Its the original radio, so AM/FM only.

The good: Strong motor that uses no oil and has no leaks. Good tires, over half the tread left on all four, no leaks. Body is in good shape for a '78. Working AC as well as vents and sliding rear window for when you don't want AC but just a bit of breeze. Transmission shifts correctly and engages strongly. 4x4 system works, hubs turn easy. Spray in bed liner in good shape. Seat has no rips and interior is in good shape for the year. Runs great, I have no fear taking it out on the interstate or down the backroads. Clear title in hand, could be your hand if you have the cash.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pictures here:

1978 GMC pictures by Docwagon1776 - Photobucket

Price is firm, its the least I can get a decent enclosed trailer for and if I can't get the trailer I'll keep the truck. Obviously this also means I'll trade for a good condition enclosed trailer, minimum 6'x10', maximum 8'x14'.