6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Does size matter? Long vs. Short Bed CC

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hdslider
...the midget fuel tank in short bed. ... Ford didn't think on short bed fuel capacity.
That right there was the determining factor for me...OEM larger factory fuel tank. Tight parking the LB is a ***** though so I usually park it way out in the lot and walk, certainly not hurting me with the additional walking.

Something else I always understood but maybe is not 100% true anymore...that a longer wheel base truck will track a large "bumper" pull trailer slightly better. My truck purchase was primarily intended for towing even though it does get DD.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Long bed, I can fit a motorcycle or golf cart and still tow my trailer. I've only owned long beds though.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
I like the ecoboost a lot. Overall the F150 is a lot of fun to drive, very smooth, electronic power steering is really nice (I've heard some don't like it cause it takes away the feel of the road). Now the ecoboost, no problems after 22k miles, lots of fun to drive, very fast for an F150. I will tow for the first time next month during my move from Austin to Pittsburgh. Will be just a dual axel trailer 12x10 I believe. Curious as to what the weight will be. But anyway.. I've heard towing is where the ecoboost really shines.
Also, not sure I'm a fan of the name 'ecoboost'. Some people try and talk about it like it's a "green" motor, it's far from it in its current form. MPG's are very similar to the 5.0 in general, however I'll say that the MPG of the ecoboost has more extream highs and lows.
Ultimately I think ecoboost just sounds a bit lame and is easily made fun of; ecotoot, echoboost, crap like that. WHY didn't it get a name like SCORPION!? LOL

HAPPY FRIDAY, I LOVE MY TRUCK

Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brandon150
Ultimately I think ecoboost just sounds a bit lame and is easily made fun of; ecotoot, echoboost, crap like that. WHY didn't it get a name like SCORPION!?
You mean like the Powerchoke?

Yeah, there are names for our trucks too.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by _red rocket_
You mean like the Powerchoke?

Yeah, there are names for our trucks too.

Powerjoke is the most common one I hear anyway.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
Powerbroke,
I like Duralax!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
jmcquarry
Senior User
I have owned a 2010 SB and now own a 2011 LB,,,the long bed has the following +'s: fuel capacity, load capacity, better for 5th wheel (or so I have been told), wife stays away from the driver's seat, the ride seems smoother,
Looks more substantial IMO

-'s: parking, turning radius,,,however, I always look for the easiest spot and turning radius has not been an issue,,,not that much of a difference

After owning both, I prefer the LB,,,can't fit either in the garage anyway! (too tall,,,,

Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Current truck is my first short bed......it will be my last.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 AM
magnumacF250
Freshman User
I've always had long boxes until the 2011 SD I have now, but I ordered a 2012 in a long box, both crews. in addition to all the previous reason for a long box, I have always felt if you drive a lot of slick highways, the longer the better. seems to hold the road better with more length. and the large fuel tank is another great reason, that small tank is really annoying.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
First LB for me and all future trucks will be LB. love the look, but more importantly I love the bed capacity. I'm surprised how many times I've filled the bed in the first year. The downside for me is offroading, but still worth it. Parking isn't an issue. I just park farther away and get some excerscise.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Brandon150
Senior User
So far the responses are:
LB= 9
SB= 5
Interesting considering most trucks on the lots are SB and they are thought of as being more popular. A lot of the long beds are probably ordered.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brandon150
So far the responses are:
LB= 9
SB= 5
Interesting considering most trucks on the lots are SB and they are thought of as being more popular. A lot of the long beds are probably ordered.
Or, the SB guys are feeling slightly intimidated by the LB's size and not speaking up.

innuendo, yes, I had to

Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

I beieve LBs are more popular out in the country wherebtheres lots of room to manuver

Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
I like the look of the LB for lifted trucks but for stock height I think I'd stay SB.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I will throw my 2 cents out there, if its worth that.

If I ordered a truck it would have been a short bed crew cab F350 SRW. That having been said, I didn't order one and I found a long bed that had the options I wanted (or, more importantly the ones I DIDN'T want). So thats what I got.

After having both a CCSB (F250) and a CCLB - both have their pluses and minuses.

The biggest plus to me for the long bed is the fuel tank size. I like being able to get a couple weeks or so on a tank. I also like knowing I have plenty of fuel when on long trips and don't know where the next stop will be. I do carry a 5gal can just in case though.

The biggest plus to a short bed is the maneuverability. Parking is also another issue. The short beds are great here too.

As to ride quality - I haven't been able to do a real good A/B comparison between the two so I don't have a real valid comment.

After 15,000 miles in my long bed I would have a tough choice between a short bed and a long bed. I like the extra fuel, although I know there are aftermarket tanks available. I don't need the extra length/space. I had a cap on my short bed and had PLENTY of space (when I get around to it I am going to put a cap on my long bed too, for head room, weather proof'ness, and I can use it as a camper).

As others have mentioned - if you are trying to get around pulling trailers by having a larger bed then go with a long bed. If you need maneuverability a short bed is good. Then there's a gazillion reasons in between. Do what you want.

Quick Reply: Does size matter? Long vs. Short Bed CC