1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'81 F-100 Project - lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I understand your statement about not knowing what to say. I've been there many times on FTE, and have put it off for a while to think about it - just like you.

And, I understand the statement about never thinking I can't do something. I realize that I can, eventually, get most things done. However, what I've also realized over my seemingly short 65 years is that while I can do most things I tend to get frustrated with large projects and sometimes don't finish them. And, your truck project is HUGE! You are redoing almost everything you touch and that, in and of itself, boggles my mind. I know I would never get done with such a project, and so admire people like you who can keep going on a seemingly endless effort. But, it will be well worth it in the end.

Instead, I need to make mine short efforts - like installing a ZF5 behind a 351M. Then I can enjoy the truck for a while and later do the body work. However, it does cause me to have to do some work twice. For instance, I pulled one steering column and installed another to go from auto to manual, but will have to put the column again to do the body work. And, I pulled one engine & transmission and installed another combo, but will have to pull them to clean/blast & paint/powder coat the frame. However, knowing me I need to break big projects into a series of smaller ones, even when that requires doing some things twice.

So, I'm in awe of those who have a vision of what they want to do and can keep at it until they get there. But, I am sooooo glad to hear you use TurboCAD as part of the "visioning" process. It is good to know that others have to think things through, visually if you will, before making something.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Attempt at a dash

Well, the time comes to attempt the dash. I spend a couple of months on and off looking online and in magazines at custom dashes. Found a couple I liked, but nothing that would work well in this truck.
Ended up putting in the drivers seat and sitting there trying to envision something, anything. Nothing, drawing a complete blank. Did this for the last week and just decided to start forming some tubing and see how it went. If it didn't work, I'm not out much. Tubing was $10 for 20 feet.

Started out by cutting out a template for the main vertical hoops.

The bracket on it holds the tubing in place while "wrapping" it around the template.

Took a lot of oomph, but got it.

Had to add some braces to account for the spring-back of the tubing (which was a lot more than I thought it would be).
Cut the factory mount off the old dash and welded that to the vertical tube for a mount, and a rivet in the top for now.

I kind of like the shape, so let's continue.

Also along the kick panel, I added some 1/4" rod to contour it.

Did a little guesstimating on where the center of the dash would be (for the radio, heater controls, etc..)

Looks like it will work.

Made a frame for the radio out of 1/2" square tubing

Started to connect hoop to hoop. Made another template to match the curve of the windshield and installed two at the rear most part of the hoop. This is just to give it a "sweeping" look. Also was playing around with a gauge cluster I drew up (TurboCad again).

If you have ever seen the inside of a Ford Fusion, there's a storage compartment in the center, top of the dash. I wanted one too. Why have wasted space when it can be used? And the defrost ducts still fit.

A little more of the drivers side, coming along nicely

Mounted the headlight switch which came from a '87 Thunderbird. Don't ask why, I just liked it.

The "triangle" that the switch sits in will be removable, just in case.

I took some cloth and kind of wrapped it around the tubing just to see how it will look.

Headlight switch poking out.

I used the cloth religiously to check contours and make any changes if necessary.
The story behind the dash. The cab I'm using is off a '90 truck. I really don't care for the styling of the dash and the Autometer gauges won't fit in the cluster. Also, using a column out of a '89 Mustang, nothing fits. I was prepared to do a custom dash (not really) and knew it would have to happen. I never realized how hard it was going to be to design and make. Right now, there's about three full days into it and I'm rethinking the whole time to do it. I think another week or two and the frame will be done. The dash is going to flow into a center counsel by curving the center verticals back. Just need to finish the framing for the dash and figure out what to do with the counsel.
After the frame is done, then the glassing can begin. Can't wait for that sticky mess.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 PM
nikmish
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is way cool, can't wait to see the result!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Some people can envision things, draw them up, and just do it. I'm so in awe of them as I can't envision anything. You know those computer-generated dots that you can look at at see something? Not me. I see dots.

Wow! I'm impressed.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
All I could see was an empty firewall with no clue on how to go about it.
Sometimes ya just need to start cutting and forming for it to come.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 PM
HolyHandGrenade
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that is some seriously nice work. Looking forward to the finished product!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Got a little more done today.
Glove compartment framed up.

Just about done around the column.

For getting under (or into) the dash, the two lower rods are screwed on to the main frame. There will be braces connecting them, then the glass. Four screws and the whole bottom and around the column is accessible. Got the fuse panel mounted also.

The framework splits half way around the column in case it need to come out or other work needs to be done.

A little more work on the dash and I can start on the center console and behind the seats.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brother, that is some fine work.

What will you use for the actual dash pad material, and how will you make it?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
trent_44
Senior User
Love all of your custom work!! Can't wait to see the final product.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribed

CRAZY!

That's two build threads today that are absolutely amazing. I do this stuff in my spare time and I am a software engineer and it makes me wish that I had a job welding or working in a shop somewhere to really help with this stuff, cause I would love to do this but just wow, you make it look so cool and easy

What kind of work have you done to learn all this?

Devin

Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
Brother, that is some fine work.

What will you use for the actual dash pad material, and how will you make it?
This is how I'm hoping it's going to go.
-Get the frame all welded up (right now I'm just tacking it in case something needs to change).
-Stretch fleece over the frame using a spray adhesive to hold it tight
-Coat it with glass resin to keep that shape
-Lay down two layers of glass matting, sanding in between
-Do any filling and shaping with body filler
-Lay down one layer of glass mat, trying to keep it smooth (this will encase any body filler so if it were to crack or anything, it won't be any problems)
-Sand out with 120-220
-Lay down a Matte Black automotive vinyl (simulated leather) with silver stitching
The biggie is I need to work on my sewing skills as there will be seams and I want the stitching to be straight, hopefully....

Originally Posted by dtgl90vt
Subscribed

CRAZY!

That's two build threads today that are absolutely amazing. I do this stuff in my spare time and I am a software engineer and it makes me wish that I had a job welding or working in a shop somewhere to really help with this stuff, cause I would love to do this but just wow, you make it look so cool and easy

What kind of work have you done to learn all this?

Devin
I built "museum quality" (what the boss called them) displays for tradeshows for 9.5 years (also worked with a lot of steel and aluminum too), and now have a job at a steel fab shop. Most of this has been tons and tons of planning (with hours and hours on Turbo-Cad) and some "winging it". For the dash frame, I couldn't come up with anything, so I just started to form tubing and see how it went. Sometimes you have to just jump in and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, at least something is learned, usually what not to do.

Here's a couple of samples of the displays I've built over the years

Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Those displays are, as your boss said, museum quality. Just beautifully done. Congrat's!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
WOW! I am totally impressed and intimidated. Those displays are amazing, and I can see that same craftsmanship in your project. I am in awe.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dtgl90vt
I do this stuff in my spare time and I am a software engineer and it makes me wish that I had a job welding or working in a shop somewhere to really help with this stuff, cause I would love to do this...
I'm a *nix sysadmin by trade, been into electronics & computers & hi-tech since I was a kid.

I finally decided I needed to do something mechanical in my life - no blinkenlights, no error messages, no colored cables (well, you know what I mean). My 1981 F350 fills that need.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I'm a *nix sysadmin by trade, been into electronics & computers & hi-tech since I was a kid.

I finally decided I needed to do something mechanical in my life - no blinkenlights, no error messages, no colored cables (well, you know what I mean). My 1981 F350 fills that need.
Amen. I've built computers from the chip up. Have written my own operating system. But working on the simple things seems to be more fun.

Quick Reply: '81 F-100 Project - lots of pics