1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 Jag IFS Soft Mount or Weld in

Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
George and Bill,
I was researching on the net all night, last night, I am looking for what the pressure is to be, on the Jag rack n pinion. Ask John that!
Ford has a Saginaw pump and I may be able to switch to that. I saw use up to '95 maybe on vans. If I can find one that will mount to my bracket, then no problem.
I also have read about the short hose issue Thanks Guys!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff or is Nocolle who is running this show?? lol i NEED THE presure of the ford pump if you know it? The Jag pump is the same as the Chevy. Can you say that word on the ford site. Just kidding you chevy guys no hate mail please!! Any way I got a guy on the Hamb that did this swap and is going to get back to me. The chevy has the same pressure. Can't spell.. I will be back. George

Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by barnfind 51
Jeff or is Nocolle who is running this show?? lol i NEED THE presure of the ford pump if you know it? The Jag pump is the same as the Chevy. Can you say that word on the ford site. Just kidding you chevy guys no hate mail please!! Any way I got a guy on the Hamb that did this swap and is going to get back to me. The chevy has the same pressure. Can't spell.. I will be back. George
I am the head of the house and Nicolle is the neck...the neck turns the head wherever it wants the head to go
You can assume that you will always be talking to Jeff, on here, so don't be askin for no sexual favors...you ain't my type...

gotta go for now!

The Ford CII pump (F150-350, Bronco) flows 1.5 gallons/minute at 740 psi. The pressure relief is in the pump and set at 1400 to 1500 psi.

The Ford Saginaw pump (E100-350) flows 1.8 gallons/minute at 620 psi and its relief valve is set at 1350 to 1450 psi.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill, afa the length of the lines, I ran short lines on mine, and it's fine. I took the jag pressure relief valve from the jag pump and installed it in my gm pump. I then took the jag lines to napa and we pulled out the books. The return line is easy, only one end to match and it's a cut to length and hose clamp. The presure line was harder. I found a line that had the right pump end, just needed alittle bending, but the rack end wasn't right. But the rack end is just a double flare so I just cut and flared it. I don't remember, and didn't record the napa part number. You could just have a local hose company make them for you. I'd look up the stock hoses in napa's catalog so you can tell the hose guys what kind of ends.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wanted to pull this thread back from the grave, and see if you guys made it any farther on your installs.

This summer I finally got the guts ripped out of the jag and the carcass hauled off. As it was sinking into my parent's driveway for several years no one was sad to see it go.

I kept the full subframe assembly, the full steering shaft (up to and including the interior knuckle), the power steering pump, and all the lines. Would there be any problem with running the stock pump off my 302, using the stock lines (if they're in good enough shape)?

Peace,
Jim

Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
I wanted to pull this thread back from the grave, and see if you guys made it any farther on your installs.

This summer I finally got the guts ripped out of the jag and the carcass hauled off. As it was sinking into my parent's driveway for several years no one was sad to see it go.

I kept the full subframe assembly, the full steering shaft (up to and including the interior knuckle), the power steering pump, and all the lines. Would there be any problem with running the stock pump off my 302, using the stock lines (if they're in good enough shape)?

Peace,
Jim
Hey there Pastor,
I do not have my pump issue dealt with yet. I am now using a 5.0 from a '96 Explorer. I will be using the pump on it. I most likely will end up using an adjustable pressure valve to avoid any problems. I can't really find a good answer for my setup besides that.
You didn't mention what pump is on your 302 and I didn't notice any pics showing it. If you have a saginaw pump on it, you can swap the pressure valve from the jag pump.
The adjustable valve I mention is about $100...it plumbs into the high and low pressure sides of the steering system. I might find a better solution when the time comes, but thats all I got for ya!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I missed this one somehow, but I would like to see them when you get back! No hurry I just like to see if I am way out in left field!
Sorry but I forgot about this thread after I got back to Colorado. I've been real busy trying to get the pickup done so here are some pictures of my motor mounts.

__________________________________________________ ___
48 Ford F1 - Darkside
46 Ford Tudor - Street Rod

Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim/Jeff- I did get the jag front end in the F3 (thanks to your help Jeff) and was able to use the saginaw pump from the 5.0 and the valve from the jag pump-- got the hose made up at the local hose place as NAPA here was no help. Use the saginaw end from the pump and the jag end from the rack- cost about $85 so your adjustable solution may be better in the long run. I have only driven it up and down the long farm drive about 1/8 mile each way but it seems to be OK - no leaks no problems turning. Have fun Dave S

Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, quick replies!

Jeff,
I had to chuckle when I read your reply. There are no pics of my pump 'cause there ain't one! My truck's suspension so far is bone stock, including steering. The only ps pump I have is the one I pulled off the jag. My hope is to manufacture brackets to fit on the 302, and use the jag pump. If a guy could get away with it, there'd be no worries about pressures and lines. BUT, I don't know if that's possible.

I like your nice clean mounts, and the plumbing looks true. Thanks for updating.

Thanks for the good word! Part of the slowness of this project on my end has been wanting to make sure I'd thought it all out and gotten all the questions answered before I got stuck in a royal mess. Knowing that somebody's done it successfully sure is encouraging!

Peace,
Jim

Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
Wow, quick replies!

Jeff,
I had to chuckle when I read your reply. There are no pics of my pump 'cause there ain't one! My truck's suspension so far is bone stock, including steering. The only ps pump I have is the one I pulled off the jag. My hope is to manufacture brackets to fit on the 302, and use the jag pump. If a guy could get away with it, there'd be no worries about pressures and lines. BUT, I don't know if that's possible.

Peace,
Jim
uh...heh...now i know!