1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 Jag IFS Soft Mount or Weld in

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
They are made with 1/4" plate and I welded 3/16" x 1" wide barstock around them. welded inside and out. also there are 1/2" pieces welded on the bottom side from the engine bolts to the JAG rubber. If that makes sense. I have wondered about bending those plates under a load. But I have seen less metal in aftermarket mounts. Thoughts?

Attached Images   
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't have pictures of the engine mounts to the frame. You can see that I made them from 10g steel. All the catalog mounts for my engine were full tube mounts and would be a problem with the Jag IFS and the headers. If you can wait until I get back to Colorado in the Spring I will send you some good pictures.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
They are made with 1/4" plate and I welded 3/16" x 1" wide barstock around them. welded inside and out. also there are 1/2" pieces welded on the bottom side from the engine bolts to the JAG rubber. If that makes sense. I have wondered about bending those plates under a load. But I have seen less metal in aftermarket mounts. Thoughts?
Those should work just fine. I was concerned about the weight of my heavy engine so I probably overbuilt. I also wanted to get the weight as low as possible due to other modifications i had made to the cab.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 48 Steel
Those should work just fine. I was concerned about the weight of my heavy engine so I probably overbuilt. I also wanted to get the weight as low as possible due to other modifications i had made to the cab.
Sorry for pegging you on questions,but what did you do for a power steering pump? I didn't get the Jag pump, so I was hoping to be able to use the pump that came on the '95 5.8L. but i don't know..
I don't want to blow seals in the rack, and I have looked at a ps pressure regulator...$100 and it has to be tied into the high and low pressure lines...alot of extra plumbing stuff!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
I pulled the Jag pump and hoses when I got the IFS and will retro fit it to the engine. I think that these pumps a Sagianaw.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Thanks! I wish I knew what the pressures are supposed to be, on the rack and the Ford pump...but haven't found anything...Thank You and BTW your JAG build
was my eye opening to this JAG thing. Take Care!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 48 Steel
I don't have pictures of the engine mounts to the frame. You can see that I made them from 10g steel. All the catalog mounts for my engine were full tube mounts and would be a problem with the Jag IFS and the headers. If you can wait until I get back to Colorado in the Spring I will send you some good pictures.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Yeah I think, knowing you have to go through that, I would be staying way more original....bummer! But I suppose that it's a good feeling when it passes the engineer's inspection!
I don't know for a True Fact but have been told that Germany is uber-strict about ANY mods. Can't change tire size or profile to something not approved by the mfr. Can't change ride height more than some small amount up/down. No changes to lights, etc. When I see some of the jacked up 4x4 using 6" blocks under the springs, I think it's not such a bad idea to require inspections, but there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I don't know for a True Fact but have been told that Germany is uber-strict about ANY mods. Can't change tire size or profile to something not approved by the mfr. Can't change ride height more than some small amount up/down. No changes to lights, etc. When I see some of the jacked up 4x4 using 6" blocks under the springs, I think it's not such a bad idea to require inspections, but there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.
Ha Ha! That's where I was going with that! There is a reason that Labels are put on chemicals like " NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION"
Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it!
Something to that effect, but I have seen some questionable stuff too!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard a little about how strict the rules are in some European countries, and then it doesnt seem so bad here. LOL
I guess its about protecting us from ourselves, or some such notion that some politician dreamed up. LOL John

Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bolted my subframe in, using the stock jag rubber mounts. Pics in my gallery. My frame is boxed using 10 gauge from the front to the rear axle. I had some frame damage so I boxed the whole thing for insurance. I wanted to bolt the subframe in so when I'm long gone someone else can change what I did easily. I think it was easier to make the mounts and drill the holes to bolt it in than it would be to make the mods to weld it. The ride is fine, but of course I can't compare it to anything. I got the jag power steering pump, but it doesn't fit my engine. I removed the pressure valve and transfered it to my current pump, which is a GM saginaw. Works fine.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Originally Posted by rhopper
I bolted my subframe in, using the stock jag rubber mounts. Pics in my gallery. My frame is boxed using 10 gauge from the front to the rear axle. I had some frame damage so I boxed the whole thing for insurance. I wanted to bolt the subframe in so when I'm long gone someone else can change what I did easily. I think it was easier to make the mounts and drill the holes to bolt it in than it would be to make the mods to weld it. The ride is fine, but of course I can't compare it to anything. I got the jag power steering pump, but it doesn't fit my engine. I removed the pressure valve and transfered it to my current pump, which is a GM saginaw. Works fine.
What kind of ride height do you have at the front under the frame. I sent a couple p m's (cause I couldn't figure out how to choose a specific quote) to get a general idea of heights from the ground. I know there's several ways to drop it later with coil spacers and tires and all but I just wondered what you had achieved by bolting the subframe in. Also what size tires your running. I plan on installing a T bird IRS using the 321 adapters so if I can get a general idea on the height now, I can figure out how much I will need to lower the front.
Remi

Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Jeff, I placed your pics in a safe place in case I have to weld it right it to get the 5 - 6" height on the front I'm after.
Remi

Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
Guess I will jump in here !! I am in the process of installing my 86 Jag front end in. I am doing a soft mount. I notched my frame for the crossmember to ride level with the frame. The front mounts I have made some brackets that can weld or bolt in.I need to get it finished but the little woman has me doing some honey do's hardwood floor. If any one wants to see what I have done let me know and I will post them in my Albums.I did have a question on the front mount. On the drivers side it was tweaked. I got it back to the same degree as the other side. but it is still in about 1/2 inch . Any Ideas on that if it will be a problem? The mount is 89degrees vertical same on both sides.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
Oh Jeff those are some great pic's I need to learn how to do that! Its like being in your shop standing next to your ride. Now I will be able to put my front end back together with your pics LOL george

Quick Reply: F1 Jag IFS Soft Mount or Weld in