1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!?!?!? Cant get the snap ring off front hub.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help!?!?!? Cant get the snap ring off front hub.

Hello, if you have done ball joints on a 05+ 4wd, where did you get the snap ring pliers that get it out? I have broken two pairs and now have the wife at Sears now with a new snap ring looking for a set there. Since I have a new snap ring, I am willing to break it to get it out, but I still gotta get the new one in. Besides that it is a heafty ring, who knows if I can cut it, or even bend it. There is a plastic lip that I am worried about breaking. I can get it open enough that I can get a screwdriver in between the ring and the plastic. I am hoping someone has a trick. Or knows if a big box store has a pair that will work. Thanks

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It's not that stiff of a ring. Maybe spray some WD-40 or penetrating oil around the snap ring in case it's just seized in place. Take your new snap ring pliers the wife brings home and use them on your new snap ring. You'll see it's not the stiffness of the snap ring that is causing your problems.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
It not siezed, I can spin it while opening it. I think the snap ring was changed after the 05 model year. Mine is almost 1/8th inch thick.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Hello, if you have done ball joints on a 05+ 4wd, where did you get the snap ring pliers that get it out? I have broken two pairs and now have the wife at Sears now with a new snap ring looking for a set there. Since I have a new snap ring, I am willing to break it to get it out, but I still gotta get the new one in. Besides that it is a heafty ring, who knows if I can cut it, or even bend it. There is a plastic lip that I am worried about breaking. I can get it open enough that I can get a screwdriver in between the ring and the plastic. I am hoping someone has a trick. Or knows if a big box store has a pair that will work. Thanks

Are you talking about the ball joint snap ring or the snap ring on the axle?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Sorry about that, but yes the snap ring on the axle>>>

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
That one is a bugger. I ended up getting a snap ring pliers from Napa that worked well for mine. Use a pry bar and pull the axle towards the hub to get more clearance to remove it and install the snap ring.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Do you have the knuckle seal driver tool?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I got a 12" peice of 1 1/4 pipe with the floor flange and a cap,(and my grinder). I would like to run down what I have. The tools are, ball joint press, pitman arm puller, big 3 jaw puller, and the ole trusty toolboes). I have a big seal (national part #710493), small seal (national part #710413), the 4wd hub service kit (fomoco #5C3Z-1K106-AB), and the ball joints. I am needing to do the ball joints (and check the bearings and the ujoint at the wheel). I saw somewhere on here that the channelock 927 8 inch retaining ring pliers have worked for others. It looks like home depot has em. I have a great tool place here in Blue Springs MO called Clarks Tool, so if someone has any better tool to remove the snap ring at the hub, then I would be greatly appreciative of that info. This is the first issue I have had with the front end, sure can't wait to get one under my belt. I also just did my gluw plugs and wires and replaced the front driveshaft (it was bent). This is gettin expensive, so I can't wait to get it done.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I am also wondering what the camber adjusting sleeve is. I should get the snap ring out tomorrow and after reading up on the procedure, the only thing I have no idea about is what the camber adjusting sleeve is, or what it looks like or any info on it. I really dont want to get it apart and find out I messed up with the sleeve. Is it on the top or bottom of the knuckle? Or does it serve as a bushing that goes inside the hole in the knuckle? Im full of questions, thanks for all the input.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
The alignment sleeve is in the top ball joint, you really can't miss it because it's the sleeve looking deal sticking down into the joint under the castle nut. In the past I've used a brass hammer to knock on knuckles to get the ball joints to separate, emphasis on brass and not steel.

These are alignment sleeves:

It's the rust colored thing under the castle nut in this pic:

Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by run6.0run
I got a 12" peice of 1 1/4 pipe with the floor flange and a cap,(and my grinder). I would like to run down what I have. The tools are, ball joint press, pitman arm puller, big 3 jaw puller, and the ole trusty toolboes). I have a big seal (national part #710493), small seal (national part #710413), the 4wd hub service kit (fomoco #5C3Z-1K106-AB), and the ball joints. I am needing to do the ball joints (and check the bearings and the ujoint at the wheel). I saw somewhere on here that the channelock 927 8 inch retaining ring pliers have worked for others. It looks like home depot has em. I have a great tool place here in Blue Springs MO called Clarks Tool, so if someone has any better tool to remove the snap ring at the hub, then I would be greatly appreciative of that info. This is the first issue I have had with the front end, sure can't wait to get one under my belt. I also just did my gluw plugs and wires and replaced the front driveshaft (it was bent). This is gettin expensive, so I can't wait to get it done.
Are you sure those are the right parts? The 05+ uses different parts than the 99-04. I can track down the part numbers I used on mine if you would like. The knuckle seal is different and the tool that you make for the 99-04 trucks won't work.

I can get you a picture of the pliers I used if that helps.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
thanks for the info on the sleeves Texas. As for the tool, YES PLEASE, I would love a pic. I have the channellock 927's and the only way they will even reach the ring is if I overextend the tips, which causes them to bend. I just got a fat pair of snap ring pliers from a tool store locally, but they are too big. I am about to weld the tips from the big set of pliers onto a set of long ring pliers. I hope it works. i am trying to find a quick way to post pics from my phone to here.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
You are using a pliers with the interchangeable tips?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:46 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
yes, but I couldnt get those to work. I finally got it out using a set that I made. Im having a heck of a time getting the outer seal out. I read up all I could,,,, but this is an 06. All of the reading was apparaently for a 04 and earlier. I have the hub off and now Im working on the seal. Mistercmk, any pointers??????????? I have been hitting the small lip on the inside, and have been prying on the axle at the lip for the inner seal. Do I just need to keep at it, or am I missing something?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
You're talking about the knuckle seal, right?

Quick Reply: Help!?!?!? Cant get the snap ring off front hub.