1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford Truck Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:39 AM
TDS535
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck Value

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Ian/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Something to talk about. Found this about 5 years ago.

Ford Truck Value<o></o>
<o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
<o></o>
The following prices are representative of stock, short wheel base, 2 wheel drive, 1/2 ton vehicles. Modification such a IFS, Engine Swaps or any other custom work are additions to the base value. 4WD and other adds are noted at the end of the table.<o></o>
YEAR CLASS 1 CLASS 2 CLASS 3 CLASS 4 CLASS 5<o></o>
1945 - 47 8,975 6,115 4,850 2,850 1,500<o></o>
1948 - 50 8,150 5,625 4,440 2,900 1,500<o></o>
1951 - 52 8,925 5,990 4,825 2,375 1,500<o></o>
1953 - 54 9,775 7,795 5,325 3,400 1,900<o></o>
1955 - 56 12,115 10,000 7,125 3,925 2,100<o></o>
1957 - 59 6,250 5,355 3,375 2,000 1,200<o></o>
1960 - 64 5,550 4,450 3,000 1,775 1,000<o></o>
1965 - 68 5,125 4,650 3,600 2,200 1,000<o></o>
1969 - 72 4,650 3,400 2,550 1,800 1,000<o></o>
1973 - 78 3,600 2,800 2,000 1,200 800<o></o>
Options<o></o>
OPTION ADD/SUB<o></o>
4 Wheel Drive $850<o></o>
Factory Air $50<o></o>
Power Options $100 for All<o></o>
Long Bed -2%<o></o>
Deluxe Cab, Specials, Rangers $500<o></o>
V8 $100<o></o>
Classic Truck Value Guide<o></o>
The information contained in these pages are offered as a "Guide" and does not necessarily reflect local or regional trends. Our value guide information is gathered from auction sales, actual sales and value guide references and is updated quarterly. <o></o>
As with any value guide, vehicle condition is the single most controlling factor in determining value. While looking over the values listed here, there is some information that you need to be aware of to properly establish a value for your classic truck. The following text will help you to better understand the many factors involved in establishing value.<o></o>
This section defines the terminology regarding the different condition levels. Understanding the meaning of each class is very important. Listed below are the standard 5 levels of condition and their definitions:<o></o>
Vehicle Condition or Class Scale <o></o>
1) EXCELLENT or CLASS 1 Condition: Professional frame off restoration of all areas of the vehicle, restored to an "as new condition". An original vehicle with all components in "as new" condition.<o></o>
2) FINE or CLASS 2 Condition: Well-restored or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original components; or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear.<o></o>
3) VERY GOOD or CLASS 3 Condition: A completely operable original; or an older restoration showing wear; or amateur restoration. Also a combination of a well-done restoration and good condition original; or a complete, partly restored original with NOS parts. All areas presentable and serviceable inside and out.<o></o>
4) GOOD or CLASS 4 Condition: A derivable vehicle needing little or no repair to be functional; or a deteriorated restoration; or a poor amateur restoration.<o></o>
5) RESTORABLE or CLASS 5 Condition: Needs complete restoration of all areas; not derivable, but is not weathered, wrecked or stripped to the degree of a parts vehicle.<o></o>
As you read through the different conditions, little red flags start popping up everywhere. One of the first questions many people ask is "I didn't see any class for Show Trucks". What's a show truck? I have see every class truck represented as a "Show Truck" at one time or another. If your talking about a real touring show truck, then expect to pay what the owner has invested. These trucks go for what ever the parties involved agree to.<o></o>
Keep in mind, restoration labor costs should not be represented in any selling price. An example would be if you were to spend 400 hours restoring a Ford Pinto. When you were finished, you might have a fine looking Pinto, but it wouldn't be worth any more than it's market value for it's condition.<o></o>
Next, you see in the Class 1 section the words "Professional Restoration". It refers to the type of work, not who did the work. Amateur restorer's can do "Professional" quality work. And, in turn, professional restorer's can and do amateur looking work at times. So, you need to look very close at any type of restoration work claimed.<o></o>
You'll also notice there's not a class that refers to parts or stripped vehicles. Because the level of completeness can vary greatly, no value can be set. Don't let anyone tell you a parts vehicle has a "Book Value". There's no book value for parts.<o></o>
The best way I have found to fairly arrive at a value for a incomplete vehicle, is to subtract the replacement cost of the incomplete parts from the Class 5 value. Sometimes, you might find that the seller would owe you money. When this happens, you have to ask yourself if you really want to restore the vehicle. If you only want the vehicle for parts, then your in a pure negotiation situation.<o></o>
This guide provide listings for Classic Trucks that are not represented in other services. If you have a newer model trucks, check out the following pricing sources:<o></o>
http://www.classictruckshop.com/value_section.asp<o></o>

Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
You can go to nada.com and get the value of your truck.
My credit union determines loans from this site, for all vehicles they loan on. Even though my 55 F250 is in pieces, they would loan the average retail value on it. Currently it says $11,000. It's tempting to do that to get it done faster, but that is not a wise financial decision.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its only worth what someone will pay for it. Not a penny more.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The question relates to "value", a term that many equate to "selling price" but that is only one way to look at it. How many of us have a truck or something else that we "value" more than it's monetary worth? Some time ago the owner of Papa John's Pizza paid out over $250K for a Camaro that he sold years ago and then bought back after his company took off. That one single buyer was willing to pay far more than market value because he placed more value in the car than what an insurance company would deem appropriate as a "replacement" cost.
Have you ever placed a selling price on an item so high that no one would ever even consider buying it...only to find that someone did? It usually works the other way around but there are instances where others place far more value in an item than the seller. How much a buyer will pay usually determines the value but that does not always coincide with what the seller thinks it's worth.
I had some old HP calculators left over from my college days and decided to sell one on ebay. I bought this calculator around the late 80s for $69 and figured that if I could get $20 for it that it would be worth the effort to sell it. It sold for $265! Who knew that there was a whole segment of our society that collects calculators.
Interesting topic...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
The question relates to "value", a term that many equate to "selling price" but that is only one way to look at it. How many of us have a truck or something else that we "value" more than it's monetary worth?
I totally agree. I have "invested" just over $1800 in my truck so far (yes, I stole it). I have kept meticulous entry data so I know what this is costing me. My estimated "finished" cost will be around $13,000.

Will my truck be "worth" that amount when I'm done? It will be to me. It's an F4, not a "normal" old truck, so its resale value will be lower than that of an F1. But I don't care.

Someone looking for a very nicely finished F4 might be willing to pay more for it than I will have invested. But I'm not doing this with intentions to sell it. The finished product for me will be priceless, because I'm putting part of myself into the truck.

At least that's how I feel today. After I've done all the work on it, I may have a different point of view.