2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

How do you like your Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you like your Expedition

Its looking like my parents are going to buy an 08 Expedition. Overall how do you like it, what kinda of mpg's are you getting. Is there anything you got that was a waste of money options wise, or is there anything you wish you would of gotten? How is towing with this, they would be towing about a 6,000 pound trailer with it. Also do you know if the expedition will have sync for like job 2 or for 09? Overall I would just like any feedback on how you like your expedition.
Thanks

Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM
chevy24d
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I have just purchased my first Expedition and so far I really like it. The ride is extremely smooth and quiet. I have the xlt so there are not many options in my truck. I would have liked to have the back-up sensors, but it is really nicely equipped and there is a lot of vehicle there for the money. I think there is even a backup camera (viewed on the rear view mirror) which would be handy.

I will be towing but the dealer is going to upgrade me to have the HD towing package - a must option if you are going to tow. Gas mileage is only around 13.5-14 mpg with a mix of highway/city. Oh well - did'nt buy it for economy

I only have put 500 miles since I bought it so I do not have a lot of experience here, but so far I am happy.

Mark

BTW - 2007 Expedition XLT - Black

Last edited by chevy24d; 12-30-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: forgot model desc
Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
I have an 07 XLT with the tech package and the convenience package and the HD tow package. The power pedals are a must if you have differently sized people driving, I wish I had the memory pedals and seats, that would make it even better. I paid less for expedition than I did for my 06 Explorer, and its a much larger vehicle with about the same fuel efficiency. Overall, I have 1000 miles, and we love it. Tows a flatbed trailer with a car on it like it isn't even there.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
whats the tech package??? My parents will hopefully get a 2008 Expedition XLT 4x4. With the heavy duty trailer tow package, and convience package. How much room is behind the 3rd row with the seat up??

Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
The tech package is the power pedals, heated mirrors and power rear windows. Looks like the 08 models wrapped into one package with the rear view mirror, but I didnt see heated mirrors? It was also the puddle lamps on the side mirrors as well. Looks like that is a standard package on the 08. I forgot to mention that I have the MP3 changer with the sirius radio too. Definitely a must for me. Dont waste money on the audiophile, just go to Circuit City and have them add a way better stereo for a couple hundred bucks.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:02 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
They actually found one today they really like, its a 07 XLT 4x4 EL. With the tech package, and apperance package and some other things, that they will hopefully get soon.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Quintind
New User
Leg room in the 3rd row is awesome! My wife & I were set on purchasing a Suburban, but the leg room doesn't compare. That wasn't the only reason for purchasing the Expy.

I bought the Limited EL and love it! It has all the options except for navi & sunroof I believe. Power pedals, power pop out rear windows, power lift gate, power folding mirrors, power folding 3rd row, A/C-heated seats, etc.

Last edited by Quintind; 01-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 AM
STJones
Senior User
We have 07 Limited EL with every option and love it. 14 MPG normal but can get 19 on a trip. I even have the navigation which is pretty cool - I don't use it often but it is neat. The truck rides great and has plenty of room. The fold flat seats are very handy.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM
northbound350
Freshman User
I have the 07 E.B. EL 4x4 and love it. 13000 miles on it. Handles well in the snow with the Perilli tires and all. Yea the seats show alittle wear, but nothing I'm going to get real upset about. It's just the edge where it gets the most in and out use. It pulls our 5000 boat like a dream. That trans. is very smooth and mileage is not bad at all.
15 to 16 most of the time around town and alittle bit higher on the road. Not bad for that size truck and it's pulling capacities.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:10 PM
R-WEST
Senior User
They actually found one today they really like, its a 07 XLT 4x4 EL. With the tech package, and apperance package and some other things, that they will hopefully get soon.
Good for them!! Mine sounds like it's pretty much the same.
I really appreciate the extra room behind the third row seat that the EL offers, THE key feature which led to the EL's purchase, especially when it's vacation or shopping time and the seats are all in use - you can still get a good bit of stuff in there.

This is my 5th Exp'y (one '00 Nav thrown in there along the way) since '97, all Bronco's before that, and, overall, it's pretty decent.

I still can't figure out why they put the voltmeter up where it's easily visible and hid the gas gauge down in the corner.

I like the power-fold 3rd row seat, and its ability to fold down completely flat but am not too crazy about only having one set of seat controls, back by the tailgate. My '03 had a set right by the 2nd row door, in addition to a set back in the back. The kids love to forget things in that third row, and, after squeezing the remnants of a milkshake or two out of there when the seat's folded from the rear, because I couldn't see said shakes, I really miss those up-front buttons.

The extra length, compared to the previous ones, takes some getting used to when backing into parking places and such, but that's an operator issue.

That BIG tank sure is noticeable when filling up ($3.19/gal today for regular) but being able to go ~500 miles if need be is nice.

The transmission, as many others have noted here, acts a little strange, especially at low speeds, but as long as it keeps on going, I'm not going to mess with it.

If they do their own maintenance, they'll probably squawk about how hard it is to remove the oil filter. My '98 had the filter remotely mounted right behind the front bumper - piece of cake to remove, but, since then, they seem to think we have the ability to bend our arm two different directions at one time while simultaneously avoiding various knife-edged clamps and fittings waiting to knaw on exposed flesh. I've been letting the dealer change the oil, just to avoid the trauma.

Bottom line, though, it's a Ford, and it does what I need it to do, so, it's kinda' like being married to the beauty queen who has a few flaws, like burping once in a while in public, or occasionally saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. It's worth it!!

Last edited by R-WEST; 01-05-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
tk1971
New User
Love driving the Expy. My 07 is pretty much the dream family vehicle. I now know how Clark Griswold feels in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster. Being a new dad, I feel confident that this plush yet very managable vehicle will keep my wife and new baby boy safe. Honestly, I am surprised that I was able to make a U-turn in a narrow residential street today (with room to spare). I can't even do that with my EVO.

tk

Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM
tyut2
New User
Wink

Originally Posted by chevy24d
II think there is even a backup camera (viewed on the rear view mirror) which would be handy.

Mark

BTW - 2007 Expedition XLT - Black
I asked repeatedly for the rear camera and to no avail. I had one on my '00 Expy (aftermarket) and really loved.

To the original post... I bought my wife a '07 Expy Limited with all the bells and whistles. I have to say I am very disappointed in the reduction in quality from the '00 we had to the '07. The power-train however is great! The Expy rides great, quite, and pulls just fine.

You would figure with a +50K$ vehicle they would have done a little better with the quality in the interior. We have put over 15K miles on it so far and some paint is coming off on the center console along with the chrome "Clad" wheels (that makes clicking sounds when it is hot outside).

I have already had it in the shop once for the spring coming off the shifter causing it to be towed to the dealer (very disappointing).

I wrote Ford but nothing happened. I just hope that Ford doesn't continue down this line of poor quality (should have learned a lesson for Cadillac), otherwise people that buy that price range of vehicle will look elsewhere.

All in all I like Ford and the Expy, seems to be doing fine so far.

Mike

Last edited by tyut2; 01-15-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with tyut2. While the amenities have increased, the quality has gone down. Things just seem cheaper. Interior looks great, but I don't think it will hold up like the older models. At 10K miles my leather seat is already wearing. A few rattles, and the darn wind noise that is incurable bug me. Other than that, it's a good ride. I would however test drive the snot out of every other vehicle in it's class and see if you like the others better.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Zombie Thread Time!!!

I have been in my Expy (09 EB 4x4) for about a year now. Its a work truck (Sheriffs Office) so I spend anywhere from 6-9hrs in it per day doing anything from city, highway, towing, to high-speed driving.

The Good:
-The ride is SUPER smooth compared to my old patrol vehicle (pickup)
-Handling is great (at highway speed, city driving and even at very high speeds)
-The interior electronics are awesome and very handy (hands free radio/phone, auto seats, rear air, 6 CD.
- The seats are very comfy and have a large range of motion to fit most anyone. Im 6ft 4in and I still have a little headroom to spare.
-No major maint issues so far. Just normal wear/tear. (With the exception of a loose ground)

The Bad:
- IFS front/rear
- traction control is very (VERY) frustrating and pretty much fails at life
- I would like to see more headroom/leg room.
- IMO the suspension is too soft for some environments (ie. 4x4ing, and rough county roads)

Ill see what else I can think up... I had a whole list in my mind...dang short term memory