1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Should I flush after 3rd heater core failure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM
notiones
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did have some electrolysis, or so it seemed, but all of that had been corrected on the last heater core. For the record, my voltage was less than the threshold of .4 listed on the TSB.

All three heater cores have been super cheap. The first three were from the same manufacturer (warranty replacements). The last one (the one leaking now and #4) is from a different mfg. I'm pretty sure it is still cheap. All have leaked from the heater core inlet tubes right where they connect to the core. I have been exceptionally careful not to stress the core during installation too.

Thanks for the TSB. I'm going to do a more thorough analysis this weekend. Hopefully I can find a good core today for installation on Saturday. I'll be installing block heater too (I don't have one right now) so it looks like I'll be replacing some coolant too.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Hagar3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by notiones
I decided to flush it myself and Murphy's law decided to poop on my head. I have made it no further than draining the radiator, removing the t-stat, and draining the passenger side of the block. Apparently the Ford dealership stripped off the heads of the screws holding the t-sat housing down when they changed the last t-stat. I did manage to get them out, but somehow lost two. I eventually found one after an hours search, but never the other. The drain plug on the driver's side refuses to come out and now has a piece of 1/4 drive extension stuck in it that I can't get out. It's now late enough in the day that by the time I go to town to buy a replacement bolt it will be dark. So now I have to call in sick to work tomorrow and with no sick days (we don't get sick days) I'll have to eat a days pay. Maybe I should have let Ford do it.

I've been working on cars since I was 13 and this has to be the absolute worst experience of my life. There is no way I could possibly convey the level of frustration today has brought me. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

On reflection I think I was wise to do this myself even considering how horrible it has been as our Ford dealership would have just pi*sed me off by not doing the job right the first time. And just for the record, of my 10 or 12 trips to the dealer for service, not one was completed to my satisfaction. I must be one picky sob or they always put the idiots on my cars.
I always say the difference between me and a professional is that I care. I took my first new car back in 1968 back to the dealer for an oil change. I paid for the work and checked the dipstick when I got to the car and nothing had been done although they had kept the car all morning.