6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Onboard Air and Train Horn - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by lilshoe4me
what are you guys using an electric solenoid and where do you mount it? Or a manual ball valve. Which one works better. I have a nathen locomotive train horn.
thanks
In this install it is an electric valve. The video shows the valve mounted below the driver's door behind the horns.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Lake Rat Jim
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epic,

I watched your horn installation video and a ton of your other videos on YouTube. You da man! Great resource. I subscribed to your channel for future videos.

I like how you rigged the horn so only the regular horn will blow unless the 2nd upfitter switch if turned on. Can you please post a basic wiring diagram for how you did this for us less than savvy folks when it comes to electronics?

Jim

Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Lake Rat Jim
Epic,

I watched your horn installation video and a ton of your other videos on YouTube. You da man! Great resource. I subscribed to your channel for future videos.

I like how you rigged the horn so only the regular horn will blow unless the 2nd upfitter switch if turned on. Can you please post a basic wiring diagram for how you did this for us less than savvy folks when it comes to electronics?

Jim
Here's a great horn install thread that includes a wiring diagram. The only difference between KG6EPF's and mine is that he used upfitters 1 and 3 and I used 2 and 3. There's good info in the rest of the thread also.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-complete.html

Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,158 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Thx for the info Epic, I'm doing an install as well.........

Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Thx for the info Epic, I'm doing an install as well.........
The horn wiring and relays are kind of tricky and are not intuitive. At least not for me. I've done a half dozen or so circuits in my life with relays and each time it's a learn/re-learn experience. Have fun with it though. Mine has worked flawlessly.

The horns are a source of endless fun around the family and neighborhood kids. Just about every time someone sees my truck they're doing the semi-trucker honk your horn arm motion when I go by. I'm very careful when and at whom we honk the horns. No one too old, too young, bike riders, moms or dads with little ones, etc. I've only used the horns in an "official capacity" a couple of times. A couple of hundred other times to bring smiles to faces.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
The horn wiring and relays are kind of tricky and are not intuitive. At least not for me. I've done a half dozen or so circuits in my life with relays and each time it's a learn/re-learn experience. Have fun with it though. Mine has worked flawlessly.

relays are pretty simple..I was confused for a long time, til a buddy sat me down and we walked thru this electric switch.

they have 4 or 5 terminals.

terminals numbered 85 & 86 control whether the relay is on or off.
(doesn't matter which gets power and which gets ground).

terminal 30 goes to the consumer of the power (horn, pump, ...) as it is designed to get hotter than the other pins.

terminal 87 is the power source.. (fuse)

when the relay is 'on', connection passes between 87 and 30.
this is called a 'normally open' circuit.. as it is normally NOT connected

sometimes you need to know the other state.

so, a 5 pin relay provides terminal number 87a, which is 'normally closed'
meaning 87a and 30 are connected normally.

so, if you need something to work MOST of the time, you use terminal 87a.
if you want it to work ONLY when you decide, then use terminal 87.

note that you can also switch ground as well as power.

on my green 55 (see avatar), there is an adjustable radiator fan control box, with a builtin relay, this box is under the dash. but I wanted to keep all heavy power draw loads out of the main fusebox, so I wanted to run the fans directly from the battery (30 amp load). I put a waterproof relay at the fans, and a direct wire from the battery for power (to both 87 and 85, 30 to the fans).. then I used the under the dash relay to turn on the ground at 86.
this way, no power was run thru the harness.. only ground. (can't have a short with only ground!).

and u can use both terminals 87 and 87a at the same time.
an example of using both: On my daughter in laws handicapped van,
we have a special drivers seat which needs to be able to be adjusted all the time (except when the van is running) (aka normally closed).
and we have a wheelchair lock device that needs to be enabled ONLY when the van is running (normally open)..

as both these loads are very low, I actually use the relay backwards.. 30 get the power from the battery.. 87a powers the seat, and 87 powers the chair lock.

the ignition key switch in the van switches ground (85), so I need to provide power to 86. (so I provide power to 86 and 30 from one fused lead).

when the key is off, 85 is NOT ground, so 87a is connected to 30.
when the key is ON, 85 IS ground, so 87 becomes connected to 30 and 87a becomes disconnected from 30. the seat stops working, and the wheelchair is locked to the floor. (accident debris protection).

Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Easy for you to say! Kidding, now I only have to remember to search for "terminal" and "relay" and I won't have to commit this to memory. These forums are so good for recording and finding this kind of awesome information. Reps to you.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Easy for you to say! Kidding, now I only have to remember to search for "terminal" and "relay" and I won't have to commit this to memory. These forums are so good for recording and finding this kind of awesome information. Reps to you.
just remember 85 & 86 are the switch.