6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changed both Fuel Filters now No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM
EPTowing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed both Fuel Filters now No Start

I have a 04 F450 6.0 that I just picked up cheap. Anyway I changed both fuel filters & started the truck. It ran for about 2 or 3 mins & died. Try to restart it & it wouldnt start. So I pulled the top off the top fuel filter to see if it have any fuel it it. Very little so I filled it up put the top back on & it still wont start. It on the battey charger right now because I draned the batterys trying to start it. Any Ideas

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What type of filters? Did you properly install the primary filter and cap? Might be sucking air from a faulty seal at the cap.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
EPTowing
Freshman User
I got the filters from the Ford dealer ship & I believe I have the top on right I also put the new orings on

Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Rebuild101
Junior User
I had the same issue dealer told me not to fill the filter with fuel just cycle the pump a few times and crack the lid if there is fuel squerting out try starting
This should blead air out of lines to the filter
Also put cardboard under the truck to see if primary filter is leaking under pressure

Good luck

Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 PM
EPTowing
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rebuild101
I had the same issue dealer told me not to fill the filter with fuel just cycle the pump a few times and crack the lid if there is fuel squerting out try starting
This should blead air out of lines to the filter
Also put cardboard under the truck to see if primary filter is leaking under pressure

Good luck
I will give it a shot tomorrow morning, What do I have to lose.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Rebuild101
Junior User
The fuel filter under the hood leave the key on but don't take the cap off completely then tighten up

This worked for me hope it does for you to

Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
EPTowing
Freshman User
So should I loosen the top & then turn the key on & after it cycles tighten the top up or turn the key on loosen the top to let any air out & then tighten it back up.

How many time should I do this? I have 3 International trucks 2 DT466 & a 7.3 & I have had any problems after changing the fuel filters. I guess is live & learn

Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Rebuild101
Junior User
After cycling
This is just to get air bleed
I cycled the fuel pump like 3 times then left the key on and cracked the cap and fuel was leaking so I tightened the cap and tried starting this worked the first time for me so thats what I started doing every time I change them

Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
EPTowing
Freshman User
Cool I will try in the morning. It to dam cold to go mess with it now. I post to let you know if it works or not. Either way thanks for the info.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
EPTowing
Freshman User
Well I tried it & it still wont start. I loosened the top on the bottom filter & it has fuel in it as well as the top filter. When I crank it it acts like it want to start. My buddy said that I need to just keep cranking it until it starts. So at this point its not running

Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 2,087 Posts
I moved you from General to engine specific.

Give us a little before information, you picked this truck up for a good price and it was in perfectly good running condition until you changed the fuel filters? The fuel system will purge itself of air after a filter change by cycling the key on/off 3 times. Most common mistake is the improper install of the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Condition Module) filter cap located on the frame rail under the drivers seat. A damaged o-ring or improperly tightened cap will allow air to be sucked into the system.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Lucas0168
New User
To some of the fellas with a little more experience, what about moveing on up to the injector pump and seeing if theres fuel up to it? Suppose he didnt have the filters bled completely before and the little bit it ran just pulled the fuel that was left in the pump and in the lines from the filters.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
The main problem is an incorrectly installed main fuel filter (the large one).

You already stated your using Motorcraft filters (which is key with the 6.0L).

Second, if the large or small (usually the large) is not seated into the cap first, then pushed in and screwed down, it will not seat properly and will allow air to get in.

1) Install new o-ring and oil well with fresh oil.

2) Snap filter into cap.

2.5) Insert cap & filter into housing (tight fit, but you may have to reach up and position each under frame rail, then snap, then install).

3) Screw cap down by hand then with a socket. I do not use torque as the plastic cap can get tight... but just ensure that it is sealing perfectly and the O-ring is not pinched (which will allow air in).

4) Remove secondary fuel filter, replace o-ring and lube, install filter and screw cap down tight.

5) Turn ignition on but do no start, let fuel pump push the air out and fuel into both filters. (some do this 2 times for 5 - 10 seconds each).

6) Start truck - let idle and look for any leaks.
--------------------------

A failure to start is due to air getting into the system and if just happened after changing filters, then it is most likely the large HFCM filter/housing is not seated correctly (either in the cap or housing).

Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need to open the secondary filter cap to bleed air out of the system. This engine will purge it's self. In the 4+ years I've owned my truck I've never needed to open the secondary cap to bleed air from the fuel system. Once you take care of your primary filter in the HFCM you should only need to cycle the key 2-3 times allowing the fuel pump to shut off before starting the next cycle. The system will purge it's self and your good to go.
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
The main problem is an incorrectly installed main fuel filter (the large one).
Exactly! Either doesn't have the cap all the way down, nicked the o-ring or somehow cracked the cap.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM
EPTowing
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
I moved you from General to engine specific.

Give us a little before information, you picked this truck up for a good price and it was in perfectly good running condition until you changed the fuel filters? The fuel system will purge itself of air after a filter change by cycling the key on/off 3 times. Most common mistake is the improper install of the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Condition Module) filter cap located on the frame rail under the drivers seat. A damaged o-ring or improperly tightened cap will allow air to be sucked into the system.
A little more info on the truck.

When I bought the truck it ran pretty good. Every so offen it seemed like it was running out of fuel. I planned on taking the bed off, moving the rear alxe forward 24" & puting a wrecker bed on it. ( Tow Truck ) Now that I finished the truck I had to put a PTO pump on the motor. So I took the glow plug module off mounted the PTO pump them remounted the glow plug module on the side of the pump. Then I changed the Oil, Fuel filters & was getting ready to do the cooling system when the truck stop running. Like I said it ran for a couple of mins & died. After that I cant get it to start. The bottom filter was covered with about an 1/8" of S**T. It was bad. Really bad. I bete it was the stock filter. I cleaned out the HFCM with Brake clean ( Im thinking that I may have messed up the HFCM with the brake clean ) put the new filter in with the new o-ring. It has to be a fuel problem since it ran after replacing the filters for a couple of mins

I am going to go out & pull the bottom filter back out, look at it & reinstall it again to make sure it right. The only other thing it could be is I messed up the HFCM with the brake clean. I did check to make sure it is turning on. You can hear it turn on.

Thanks for all your guys help

Quick Reply: Changed both Fuel Filters now No Start