1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Changed pre pump filter lot of air bubbles..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I have the same filter and have had the same trouble. You have to risk breaking the glass sleeve by tightening really hard on the two hex metal ends, and then tighten your clamps until you think you're going to crush the tube fitting... that is the only way I was able to get mine to seal completely. Upon close inspection, the ends of the glass tubes are not perfectly flat, and that makes sealing them against the rubber seals inside the hexed metal heads a very difficult task.

I'm replacing my glass unit with the same Baldwin setup I have on my other vehicle.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
Grant you don't have to run the engine, just look at the filter with the pump running to see if you still have the air bubbles. If no bubbles the leak must be in the tank. You will have to have the filter full to see the air.
I posted right before you and got it fixed. May not of seen it. I just used some channel locks to pinch the hose while it was running and sucked it dry. Thanks for the help. Reps to you.

Originally Posted by F250_
I have the same filter and have had the same trouble. You have to risk breaking teh glass sleeve by tightening really hard on the two hex metal ends, and then tighten your clamps until you think you're going to crush the tube fitting... that is the only way I was able to get mine to seal completely. Upon close inspection, the ends of the glass tubes are not perfectly flat, and that makes sealing them against the rubber seals inside the hexed metal heads a very difficult task.

I'm replacing my glass unit with the same Baldwin setup I have on my other vehicle.
Yeah I'm thinking of looking for a new filter or setup. When I was over at napa I got some r7 fuel line and maybe that sealed better because it's more flexible than the fuel injector line I tried to use.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same filter and instead of running the risk of introducing an air leak, I just replaced the entire filter instead of taking it apart and replacing the inner screen element. If you read the packaging for the filter, it states that the filter is not for use in a system pressurized above like 30psi (can't remember the number, but it was less than the 72psi I'm running), so I didn't want to take any chances with a filter I am already asking to do more than it was designed to do.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Originally Posted by Robert6401
I have the same filter and instead of running the risk of introducing an air leak, I just replaced the entire filter instead of taking it apart and replacing the inner screen element. If you read the packaging for the filter, it states that the filter is not for use in a system pressurized above like 30psi (can't remember the number, but it was less than the 72psi I'm running), so I didn't want to take any chances with a filter I am already asking to do more than it was designed to do.
Robert, If you have the filter infront of the pump it should not see pressure, there should be a vacuum. If you have pressure in the filter it would leak fuel not air.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
Robert, If you have the filter infront of the pump it should not see pressure, there should be a vacuum. If you have pressure in the filter it would leak fuel not air.
Bob, I understand that, but vacuum pressure is still pressure, right? And the entire system is pressurized to the same amount. Hence the reason my pressure jumped up to 72psi when I installed a stainless return line inside the tank with a smaller inside diameter. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Bob, I understand that, but vacuum pressure is still pressure, right? And the entire system is pressurized to the same amount. Hence the reason my pressure jumped up to 72psi when I installed a stainless return line inside the tank with a smaller inside diameter. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it.
Don't over think it, The only 2 effects a pump can have is to produce a vacuum on the inlet and a pressure on the outlet. An absolute vacuum ( on earth ) will not exceede the barometric pressure. Vaccum is a negative pressure.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is the type I use. Less than 4 bucks.

If you can't find the Baldwin the Napa 3007 and Wix 33007 are the same.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
As explained, your pump has negative pressure (vacuum) on the suction side (hence the use of the word "suction" to describe it), and positive pressure on the discharge side going to the engine. In fact, it is this principle exactly which is why the quick connect fittings are recommended to be replaced between the fuel tank and the pump because they only have a one-way seal against pressure from the inside of the fitting... external pressure from outside the fitting will push air in through the fittings, and this is what happens on your lines when the pump is running and creating a slight vacuum between the tank and pump suction (which is also how the pump is abble to suck the fuel up through the in-tank plumbing and into the pump).

Imagine using a straw to drink your favorite soft drink. If the straw gets cracked above the liquid level, you will suck air into the straw and not get very much (if any) of your favorite drink. Now imagine having a mouth full of your drink and blowing that liquid back through the straw... you'll squirt liquid out of the crack. In the first case, air gets pulled into the straw because the pressure inside the straw is lower than the pressure outside the straw (vacuum, i.e. suction side of a pump). In the second case, the liquid squirts out because the pressure inside the straw is greater than the pressure outside the straw.

Now in both cases, the real issue is not "pressure" as much as it is "differential pressure". Both liquid and air will always try to move to a lower pressure condition, and that is why the air gets sucked in through the non-sealing quick connect fittings on the suction side of a pump.

What this means is that your filter on the suction side of the pump is NOT seeing the pump's 72 psi of discharge pressure.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Noted, I stand corrected.