1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Widened OEM steel wheel help/question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
DutchB100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widened OEM steel wheel help/question

I have a factory height 1970 F100 SWB, drum brakes. I want to put on widened oem 15x8 steel wheels on the back and 15x7 on the front. Keeping in mind in the future I will eventually convert to disc brakes, what backspacing should I order with the wheels? I'll probably run on drum brakes for a few more years. I heard 4 inches backspacing should be adequate. Thoughts? Has anyone done this?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 PM
jhooch
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 inches backspace will work just fine.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jhooch
4 inches backspace will work just fine.
There's no need to widen steel wheels since Wheel Vintiques offers 'em in 15x8 with 4-inch BS using factory center sections. I ordered two of 'em through Summit Racing for $82 each. Look up Series 62 and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I will be using stock 15x6s with 215/70-15s in the front and 15x8s in the rear wearing 275/60-15s.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM
DutchB100
Senior User
Thanks guys. That was my plan to order them through Summit. I actually have the 62 in my "basket" ready for purchase. I was just waiting for other's opinions.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Below are a couple of pics of the WV Series 62... the second pic shows it's a Ford center section.

Btw, make sure you open the box and check the dimensions and bolt pattern. The first one I got was 15x8 but the bolt pattern was 5x5... the box had the correct PN, the website had the correct PN, and my invoice had the correct PN. Wheel Vintiques apparently boxed up the wrong part. Beware!!

Comparing the 5x5 and the 5x5.5 wheel, the latter has raised diamond shaped sections next to the bolt holes whereas the former has squarish raised areas (pic#3 below).

Note the Ford stamp:

The errantly boxed 5x5 wheel:

Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM
DutchB100
Senior User
Thanks HIO Silver. That is helpful. I'll probably order mine this weekend.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
You're welcome. 'glad to help... A pic is worth a thousand words.

Btw, I tested fitted some dog dish hubcaps and, because the wheel is relatively deep, concluded that I will need to fabricate or develop a tool (like a spoon) to pop off the hubcap.

'Sent the 5x5 wheel back to Summit on Thursday and the corrected one is enroute. We'll see! Or is that "wheel-see"? .. oooh, bad pun.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:12 PM
nobearsyet
Tuned
One of those nylon trim removal tools works quite well for hubcap removal, and a boot works quite well for installation, FWIW. Did you try to fit the stainless beauty rings to those wheel vintiques wheels? I'm planning on swapping out my white wagon wheels sometime very, very soon, ans it's either junkyard, or wheel vintiques, then take either one and powdercoat them red, add hubcaps and beauty rings, call it good. Would you mind a picture with the hubcap on it?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nobearsyet
One of those nylon trim removal tools works quite well for hubcap removal, and a boot works quite well for installation, FWIW. Did you try to fit the stainless beauty rings to those wheel vintiques wheels? I'm planning on swapping out my white wagon wheels sometime very, very soon, ans it's either junkyard, or wheel vintiques, then take either one and powdercoat them red, add hubcaps and beauty rings, call it good. Would you mind a picture with the hubcap on it?
The dish is deep and I don't think the trim removal tool has enough "hook" on it to pop off the hub cap. It'll need to be pretty much an "L" shape to provide leverage against the wheel.

The only trim rings I have are from a Pontiac and they're 14 inches. I'm confident they'll fit but it's not on my priority list at the moment cuz I haven't even started on the suspension rebuild... got the parts but I'm going to pull the dog house and the engine and re-do the entire front end without being on my back.

I just received by other wheel from Summit and need to check the dimensions. I'll post a pic later this PM... hopefully they sent me a 5x5.5 wheel instead of a 5x5 like last time.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 PM
DutchB100
Senior User
My wheels arrive Friday. Next week I'll take them to powder coating. I'm thinking glass black would look good with shiny dogdishes and beauty rings.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
The wheel that just arrive checked out perfectly. Below is the pic with the dogdish hubcaps that I will be using. I like the smooth, uncluttered look. The OEM caps for the 67-72 are too "grandpa" for me. Oh, the paint can is there just for scale. I'm using it to shoot the power brake booster.

See what I mean by needing a tool with an "L" shape?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 AM
nobearsyet
Tuned
Sure do, I was thinking the old baby moon style caps unless I can lay hands on a set of original 67-72, I'm going kinds "period work truck" with a few modern conveniences (non points ignition, power disc brakes, maybe power steering but that's a lot of work).

Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I think I'm in store for a rat truck... it's pre-rusted but has low miles so mechanically the drivetrain is fine. What sucks are the brakes, roof rail rust, auxiliary fuel tank holes on each side, the stance, and, like you, missing some of the conveniences like power windows and locks.

I got lucky with my rig cuz the PO already did a PS retrofit. He was planning to rebuild it but life, wife, and kids made him too busy. Now he's got two college tuitions to pay for so the bump came my way for $650. Anyhoots, he started accumulating parts so it has a new steering wheel (Grant GT Sport), turn signal switch, new grill inserts, and interior carpet. I have an OEM set of 77-79 hubcaps still in the box.

This fall and winter for me is for parts hunting, cleaning, and prepping. So far UPS/Fedex has delivered the rear wheels, DJM beams, wheel bearings, sway bar end links, and RA bushings. From the JY has come from 78 Dentside radius arms, coils disc spindles, rotors, and shields, caliper cores; a '75 disc MC and booster; a 79 OEM front sway bar and an AddCo rear swaybar; five late 80s dog dish caps; a 94 Lincoln Mark Viii electric fan; a 95 3G alternator (swapped it in already); and, decent tail light bezels. Moog tie rods were backordered through Summit Racing so those are on the way.

Post a pic of your project! Here's a day two pic of my 70:

Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
jhooch
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I think I'm in store for a rat truck... it's pre-rusted but has low miles so mechanically the drivetrain is fine. What sucks are the brakes, roof rail rust, auxiliary fuel tank holes on each side, the stance, and, like you, missing some of the conveniences like power windows and locks.

I got lucky with my rig cuz the PO already did a PS retrofit. He was planning to rebuild it but life, wife, and kids made him too busy. Now he's got two college tuitions to pay for so the bump came my way for $650. Anyhoots, he started accumulating parts so it has a new steering wheel (Grant GT Sport), turn signal switch, new grill inserts, and interior carpet. I have an OEM set of 77-79 hubcaps still in the box.

This fall and winter for me is for parts hunting, cleaning, and prepping. So far UPS/Fedex has delivered the rear wheels, DJM beams, wheel bearings, sway bar end links, and RA bushings. From the JY has come from 78 Dentside radius arms, coils disc spindles, rotors, and shields, caliper cores; a '75 disc MC and booster; a 79 OEM front sway bar and an AddCo rear swaybar; five late 80s dog dish caps; a 94 Lincoln Mark Viii electric fan; a 95 3G alternator (swapped it in already); and, decent tail light bezels. Moog tie rods were backordered through Summit Racing so those are on the way.

Post a pic of your project! Here's a day two pic of my 70:

You could just by this one and be almost done...by the way, where in NorCal are you? I used to live in Windsor (just north of Santa Rosa).

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jhooch
You could just by this one and be almost done...by the way, where in NorCal are you? I used to live in Windsor (just north of Santa Rosa).
Ha! I could.. easily... but what fun would that be? I'm in it for the journey and the challenge!

I'm in the east bay - Concord/Walnut Creek area.

Quick Reply: Widened OEM steel wheel help/question