Sponsored by:

If you're replacing window motors..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're replacing window motors..

Picked up a Dorman to replace a blown motor on my driver's side.. I was disappointed, more plastic than my old one and the motor was half the size, then when mounting one of the bolt holes didn't line up. You get what you pay for, right? $25 or something..

well, bolted it up with the 2 bolts that would fit, though if I felt I needed to, I could drill the *plastic* mounting plate for the third one. They're sort of annoying as well, you self tap the plastic mounting plate with the included screws (which I somehow lost), but really, it secures just fine.

Expected my window to crawl up and down. Yeah, didn't happen, fricken window shoots up and down like those automatic doors in Star Trek. My old ones use to go slow, not enough torque pulling the window down which made it look like it was off track. Now they go up and down better than a lot of new cars I see
So if you guys need window motors, don't spend extra on Cardone, Motorcraft or any other brand, these cheapy Dormans are insanely good. I'm replacing my functional passenger side for one now because it's cool having a super quick window.

Also, in the future, I recommend passing on replacing those bushings in the motor that wear out, harden up and crumble. They're $7 a side at Autozone in the Help section but they don't last long at all, it really isn't worth the labor.. just buy a replacement motor and be happier.

RNB-742-251 for the passenger side

Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 370 Likes on 280 Posts
Thats for the info! Mine both work *knocks on wood* but I'll rememebr this for down the road.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to replace mine, i'm done with repairing the original one to hear it whine and die on me a week later. Do you have a link?... i might want to check that one out.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well unless i break my arms i never have to replace my window motors. except the rear one but i don't want to even think about that right now...

Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
I dunno why one is more expensive..

Dorman 742-250 - Dorman Power Window Motors - Overview - SummitRacing.com - this is the one I bought, love it.
Dorman 742-251 - Dorman Power Window Motors - Overview - SummitRacing.com - passenger side

mine were fine, 220k miles on the truck and after replacing the bushings once, it finally went out. Both have been sorta weak though, but most electric motors from around these years are too so I didn't stress it.
The one annoying thing, when it was cold it would slip even with the new bushings and every once in a while I'd have to help get it up when it would happen.

It was nice breaking the ice free with my window today.. tore the weather strip off of my door too on accident because it stuck, oh well.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the Dorman's on every one I do at my shop

Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
No complains so far critter?.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:02 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
how is everyone's experience with Dorman in general? Thinking back, I usually avoid Dorman because Dorman parts are inexpensive, but I can't think of anything Dorman that I hate.

It's hard to pick who actually makes the parts I buy anymore though. Everything is rebranded and marked up nowadays.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I wonder if they make something for the rear window in my bronco. Of course i would need the whole new bracket for the window as well unless i can get mine out and spray the old rubbery grease out then but a new plastic track wheel, then re-grease everything. Then i would need new felts on the top

Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 370 Likes on 280 Posts
I believe the new motor I put on my rear window was Dorman.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:15 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I might look into it someday. It would be very nice to be able to roll my window up and down without having to go out and pull it up so the bracket can move up and bump the window to keep it moving :S maybe someday i will get around to it.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:49 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
It's not that hard... drill 3 holes to get to the bolts, then take the bolts out, put the new one in.
That is if you aren't an idiot like me, just don't lose your bolts and spend an hour searching for them, then another 20 frustrating minutes using a magnet to get the old ones out that dropped to the bottom of the door.. if you're smart it shouldn't take but 15 minutes.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Problem is, i'm not that smart >.< also it may be easier for me cause i don't have the safety switch so i can lay mine down and roll the window out. For some reason my switch no longer works so the PO did a shoddy job re-wiring it and bypassing the switch.. i don't even have the stock dash switch i have a regular one bolted to the bottom of the dash where i can roll it up and down. A while back i was fiddling with it and reconnected the appropriate wires to see what would happen and it didn't work so i re did the bypass job with my own wiring and connectors to make it a bit cleaner. It still works but now when i push the up arrow the window goes down haha.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
oh, wait, you're talking about the rear window? Sorry, forget it, that's not easy at all.

Edgethis, do you know if the rear window motor is any more powerful than the stock one? Mine isn't as slow since I cleaned and greased the tracks, but I wish it were faster with the truck off.
I keep planning on overvolting it (was awesome off of my 19v drill battery) but just haven't got around to it yet.

Sorta holding out on replacing my motor though, it works but my defroster is broken, my key switch is broken, I'll probably eventually swap in a rust-free tailgate with a working motor and harness.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I had the same thought, replacing the whole tailgate with another one and then painting it the same colors i have now. Or trying to fix whats broke. I know wh my window goes slow its a matter of getting parts to fix it such as, bolts to align my top, grease and new track wheels for the window track, and new felts along the window or just greasing the current ones.

Quick Reply: If you're replacing window motors..