Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What Fuel Additive Do You Like

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
I run the Power Service (White=Winter, Grey=Summer) And the Wally-World Super-Tech 2cycle Oil. Makes the old girl very happy!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:16 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
[/left]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
I'll bite. How recent are those tests? When we went to LSD eons ago, weren't there also issues with delivery that were later worked out? LSD has come out for years so I would assume most of them are already worked out..
The study was done in August 2007 like I posted - I dont have any dates for the reports of fuel not meeting specification as listed in the SWR report.

IIRC, it is added at terminal and NOT refinery level.
I thought that was what I said

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
The study was done in August 2007 like I posted - I dont have any dates for the reports of fuel not meeting specification as listed in the SWR report.

I thought that was what I said
Considering it was implemented by the feds, IOW, ***** nilly. Hard to say that everything was hunky dory on day one or two but if it has been 5 years, I'd say that we are pretty uniform at this time and wouldn't sweat it

Sorry, read it wrong

Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
smithrock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard of a lot of people adding tranny fluid to their tank. They seem to like it and it's cheap!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
What about running waste oil? Say a gallon per tank or so just to use it up?

Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by smithrock
I've heard of a lot of people adding tranny fluid to their tank. They seem to like it and it's cheap!
I would say it depends on the accounting. If you spent $2, excluding your time and effort but saved $10, it is cheap. IF you achieve nothing quantifiable, I'd have to say it is expensive.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
What about running waste oil? Say a gallon per tank or so just to use it up?
Sure you can but what are you trying to do? If you don't filter it WELL, it could be a problem. I wouldn't chance it or the little you can save.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 PM
DesertStorm
Elder User
I run double dose per tank of power service gray bottle in summer, and white bottle in winter. From the first time I used it, I noticed less injector noise, either real or imagined, it helps me sleep better! I always buy it in the gallon sizes when it is on sale too!!! I just picked up several gallons at TSC a few weeks back for 8.50 a gallon, Walmart usually sells it for 16.99 for the same thing.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by DesertStorm
From the first time I used it, I noticed less injector noise, either real or imagined, it helps me sleep better!
I would say "imagined" and "placebo effect" for the sleeping. Injectors buzz and if you can hear them over the engine combustion noise, you have some sort of noise filtering implant in you ear that can separate one frequency from the other. Only sound that can be different is the explosion going on in the cylinder because you changed the combustion characteristics of the fuel. What does the sound mean? I haven't seen any definitive answer. Does a louder sound mean better combustion? I would doubt it. Worse combustion? Same. You can use biodiesel and it will have higher cetane, less combustion noise BUT less BTU and thus less power. I would speculate that the PS will change the cetane value but whether that makes more power or not, is up to debate.

What is not debatable is that PS costs money. From what I have seen, none of them can be calculated to really save money

Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 PM
DesertStorm
Elder User
I would say "imagined" and "placebo effect" for the sleeping. Injectors buzz and if you can hear them over the engine combustion noise, you have some sort of noise filtering implant in you ear that can separate one frequency from the other. Only sound that can be different is the explosion going on in the cylinder because you changed the combustion characteristics of the fuel. What does the sound mean? I haven't seen any definitive answer. Does a louder sound mean better combustion? I would doubt it. Worse combustion? Same. You can use biodiesel and it will have higher cetane, less combustion noise BUT less BTU and thus less power. I would speculate that the PS will change the cetane value but whether that makes more power or not, is up to debate.

What is not debatable is that PS costs money. From what I have seen, none of them can be calculated to really save money
Agreed that it costs money, not arguing or anything like that, but I ran the truck a good month or two after I got it, before putting any additives in the fuel when the engine was cold it would rattle like hell, sounded like a bunch of gremlins beating the block with mini hammers. I put some powersevice in it one day at fuel up, drove it home, the next morning it was noticeably quieter and has been since as long as I keep the additive in the fuel. Noticably meaning not having to turn the radio up as much in the mornings until she gets warm. I agree with your previous posts about cost and all the other jazz. Just in my experience it has seemed to help. I guess the real test would be dyno it to check power output and have a decible meter in the cab too, run one test with straight #1 out of the pump and other runs with the same #1 fuel each test sample with a different additive. This of course would be for noise and power only not for wear comparison.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Agreed that it costs money, not arguing or anything like that, but I ran the truck a good month or two after I got it, before putting any additives in the fuel when the engine was cold it would rattle like hell, sounded like a bunch of gremlins beating the block with mini hammers. I put some powersevice in it one day at fuel up, drove it home, the next morning it was noticeably quieter and has been since as long as I keep the additive in the fuel. Noticably meaning not having to turn the radio up as much in the mornings until she gets warm. I agree with your previous posts about cost and all the other jazz. Just in my experience it has seemed to help. I guess the real test would be dyno it to check power output and have a decible meter in the cab too, run one test with straight #1 out of the pump and other runs with the same #1 fuel each test sample with a different additive. This of course would be for noise and power only not for wear comparison.
We have #2 here. My truck is noisy cold but I guess it never bothered me. I wouldn't doubt that it makes it quieter. I put on the RR and it became quieter too. Much more than usual. Even the wife noticed it. Unfortunately, the mpg didn't show any more mileage.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
DesertStorm
Elder User
We have #2 here. My truck is noisy cold but I guess it never bothered me. I wouldn't doubt that it makes it quieter. I put on the RR and it became quieter too. Much more than usual. Even the wife noticed it. Unfortunately, the mpg didn't show any more mileage.
RR and HPX are on the list for mods after tax return time!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

RR and HPX are on the list for mods after tax return time!
I didn't need the HPX since I was getting dual pumps

Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
I'm with White Buffalo. Schaeffers factory is only 20 minutes from my house (across river in St Louis). My thinking is their full synthetic oil is great; BTS uses their tranny oil in all his transmissions; and most of all: I've spent so much money on "improvements" I like the peace of mind it gives me for my investment!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Sure you can but what are you trying to do? If you don't filter it WELL, it could be a problem. I wouldn't chance it or the little you can save.

What am I trying to do? I guess it would be 3 things, getting rid of waste oil, lubricating injectors, and saving at least $4 a fillup ($8 with the dual tank trucks we have).

How much more filtering would it need besides being ran threw an oil filter its entire life and being ran threw a fuel filter before going threw the injectors? Magnetic and 5 micron filtering?

Quick Reply: What Fuel Additive Do You Like