Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

5.0 vs 3.5 EB. need some quick advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
My concern is how far into the future will any of Ford's new engines be able to satisfy the EPA before they undergo the painful task of offering new ones.

As broadly used as the two V-6's and the 5.0L are, I believe that they will survive. Once Ford develops and implements a GTDI V-8, I see the 6.2L going away.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffHann74
Last weekend when I test drove the Ecoboost I had to ask the salesperson that went with me how I would know with the turbos kick in. She told me I really needed to punch it, so I did. I must admit it was fun. That being said, I was able to get on the highway up to 70 mph without the turbos ever doing thier thing. I very rarely accelerate hard when getting on the highway unless traffic is heavy and I see a space where I can get in and messing around is not gonna work. So, I am excited to see how my 4x4 Ecoboost with the 3:73 rear end does with my driving style. I will report in 6-12 weeks.
I have a mechanical boost gauge in mine and those tiny turbos kick in a lot easier than you think. You may "really need to punch it" to hit full boost. But they do kick in some under normal acceleration and going up hills. While towing heavy loads they will also be kicking in frequently. Maybe that's why they made these trucks so quiet and didn't put a boost gauge in them, so the salesman can lie. Sometimes they don't intentionally lie, they just don't know what they are talking about.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamMudd
i still have to laugh every time i hear someone say that.

yet the eco boost is a what... 3.5L making 365HP compared to the 6.2L at 411... well lets just throw some more random thoughts as well.... ford 6.2L 411hp, yet a 6.8L (more cubic inches correct) weighs in at 365HP.... now grasp this one, the 5.0L is rated at a crazy 360HP.... that FIVE less than the 6.8L.... the 6.2L is a direct replacement for the 6.8L (smaller CID more power) mainly for the Super Duty class that dribbled down to the F150's, the Ecoboost is the new 5.4L, and the 5.0L is the in-between similar to the 4.6L....

I have to disagree with one part of this, you say the 5.0L is the new base motor or replacement of the old 4.6L? I believe Ford created the 5.0L as the closest thing to giving loyal blue oval owners a premium engine choice. A lot of diehard truck guys like myself were and are not ready to make the switch to a V6 in a "Full-sized" truck. Hey I get it, that 3.5L EB is the cats pajammas but I still like the feel & sound of a V8 (I know thats a pretty lame reason to buy the V8) but there are still a lot of us folks out there that just don't want a damn V6 in a full sized pickup and Ford knows that good & well so thats why they offer the 5L.

Because Ford also wants to kiss the rear end of the EPA they developed this 3.5L V6, They could have given the 5.0L more power than the 3.5L (Look at what the Coyote puts out in the '11+ Mustang stock) but Ford choked the motor up just enough to give the 3.5L a serious peformance advantage needed to sell more 3.5L's to pay for all of the tooling and R&D.

In my opinion the 3.7 is the new 4.6L & base motor, no body ever talks about the 3.7 but it is comparable to the old 5.4. I'm a cubic inch lover my self and all things being equal would have got a 6.2L XLT, 2wd, supercab if I could have, if nothing more than for just sheer brute force and simplicity.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
I have to disagree with one part of this, you say the 5.0L is the new base motor or replacement of the old 4.6L? I believe Ford created the 5.0L as the closest thing to giving loyal blue oval owners a premium engine choice. A lot of diehard truck guys like myself were and are not ready to make the switch to a V6 in a "Full-sized" truck. Hey I get it, that 3.5L EB is the cats pajammas but I still like the feel & sound of a V8 (I know thats a pretty lame reason to buy the V8) but there are still a lot of us folks out there that just don't want a damn V6 in a full sized pickup and Ford knows that good & well so thats why they offer the 5L.

Because Ford also wants to kiss the rear end of the EPA they developed this 3.5L V6, They could have given the 5.0L more power than the 3.5L (Look at what the Coyote puts out in the '11+ Mustang stock) but Ford choked the motor up just enough to give the 3.5L a serious peformance advantage needed to sell more 3.5L's to pay for all of the tooling and R&D.

In my opinion the 3.7 is the new 4.6L & base motor, no body ever talks about the 3.7 but it is comparable to the old 5.4. I'm a cubic inch lover my self and all things being equal would have got a 6.2L XLT, 2wd, supercab if I could have, if nothing more than for just sheer brute force and simplicity.
i'd agree with everything except for comparing the 3.7 to the old 5.4. I see where you are coming from, but the 3.7 makes its peak HP and peak TQ much higher in the RPM band. Sure the raw numbers are close, but the torque curve is much different. When was the last time you saw a 5.4 shift at 7000 RPM?

I don't think the 3.7 with 3.73's could hold a candle to a 5.4 with 3.73's ...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
As I've heard in the past both here and at my dealer:

3.7 replaces the 4.6L

5.0 replaces the 4.6L3V

3.5 replaces the 5.4L

6.2 is gravy.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
As I've heard in the past both here and at my dealer:

3.7 replaces the 4.6L

5.0 replaces the 4.6L3V

3.5 replaces the 5.4L

6.2 is gravy.
This is correct.

Every one gets caught up by peak hp number. While this will make your truck quicker in a lot of case's, it doenst account for where the power is being made.

I have heard multiple times on here from guys with 09-10 5.4l motors that switched to the new 5.0. basically they said the new 5.0 was a quicker truck, but the 5.4l towed a lot better.

This is because the the 5.4l made 90% of its tq at 2000 rpm. Great for pulling. its also why the EBoost is so good for towing. Lots of low end power and area under the curve.

All the new motors that are available are great, and shine in there own areas.

And for the comment that the 5.0 is for a die hard truck guy is a load of crap. A die hard truck guy is going to look at the potential of each motor and its ability. Not the sound. The guy that buys a lesser powerfull V8 over a higher rated 3.5l V6 because of the sound is not a die hard truck guy.

I get that some guys dont have faith in the new Eboost engine and bought the 5.0 V8 because its what they understand. Thats why ford did it.

But honestly the Eboost has been out for a year, and are starting to get some decent miles on them. And i havent heard much of anything realitive to them laying down on folks, or having chronic issues. There have been a few gusy with trouble, but no more than have with the 5.0.

okay, i think i spent my .02 and some.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
My concern is how far into the future will any of Ford's new engines be able to satisfy the EPA before they undergo the painful task of offering new ones.

As broadly used as the two V-6's and the 5.0L are, I believe that they will survive. Once Ford develops and implements a GTDI V-8, I see the 6.2L going away.
Agreed. I think the weight reductions of the next model of truck will drasitaclly help the MPG, even the 6.2l. I hope they still offer it for a few more years, so as they arent a rare engine and hard to get parts for 20 years from now.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Sometimes they don't intentionally lie, they just don't know what they are talking about.

Most times, they dont know what they are talking about.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
[QUOTE=BURNSTOUGHFORD;

And for the comment that the 5.0 is for a die hard truck guy is a load of crap. A die hard truck guy is going to look at the potential of each motor and its ability. Not the sound. The guy that buys a lesser powerfull V8 over a higher rated 3.5l V6 because of the sound is not a die hard truck guy.

I get that some guys dont have faith in the new Eboost engine and bought the 5.0 V8 because its what they understand. Thats why ford did it.

But honestly the Eboost has been out for a year, and are starting to get some decent miles on them. And i havent heard much of anything realitive to them laying down on folks, or having chronic issues. There have been a few gusy with trouble, but no more than have with the 5.0.

okay, i think i spent my .02 and some.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything except this. There is a guy in another running thread on this forum comparing the 5.0 & 6.2 for an example, that member says he tows a mini loader and a lightning race truck on weekends. My point is people keep telling him he needs an Ecoboost 3.5 V6.
Perhaps he does and would pull and work better for his application?? But I got to side with the guy. At the end of the day or race so to speak who wants to leave in a truck that sounds like a Taurus? Again it's a silly reason and I don't care who calls me an idiot lol (I'm a very successful young man) one thing I can say is that the 5.0l & 6.2l put a huge grin on your face when you are just cruising in and around town because the engine sounds so good unlike the 3.5 where the grin only occurs when you are in the boost, it's a bonus that these motors scoot too!
Not to compare an apple with an orange but what is more enjoyable to ride a Roadking Harley with straight pipes or a quiet Honda Goldwing.
When I had my '05 Dodge Cummins diesel, tuned, straight piped, etc I never really cared for the Ups truck sound and truthfully was jealous of the way my friends straight piped 7.3l V8 sounded even if my six cylinder Dodge was quicker and towed better.
As far as die hard truck guys go? You will not find a bigger one than I. I've had more than eight new trucks from all brands foreign & domestic in five years and I've got an orig '72 GMC 4x4 350 that is my baby. Not trying to be an A-H sir but just stating that people do buy vehicles and thing for sometimes the most bazaar reasons and Ford knows this.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with everything except this. There is a guy in another running thread on this forum comparing the 5.0 & 6.2 for an example, that member says he tows a mini loader and a lightning race truck on weekends. My point is people keep telling him he needs an Ecoboost 3.5 V6.
Perhaps he does and would pull and work better for his application?? But I got to side with the guy. At the end of the day or race so to speak who wants to leave in a truck that sounds like a Taurus? Again it's a silly reason and I don't care who calls me an idiot lol (I'm a very successful young man) one thing I can say is that the 5.0l & 6.2l put a huge grin on your face when you are just cruising in and around town because the engine sounds so good unlike the 3.5 where the grin only occurs when you are in the boost, it's a bonus that these motors scoot too!
Not to compare an apple with an orange but what is more enjoyable to ride a Roadking Harley with straight pipes or a quiet Honda Goldwing.
When I had my '05 Dodge Cummins diesel, tuned, straight piped, etc I never really cared for the Ups truck sound and truthfully was jealous of the way my friends straight piped 7.3l V8 sounded even if my six cylinder Dodge was quicker and towed better.
As far as die hard truck guys go? You will not find a bigger one than I. I've had more than eight new trucks from all brands foreign & domestic in five years and I've got an orig '72 GMC 4x4 350 that is my baby. Not trying to be an A-H sir but just stating that people do buy vehicles and thing for sometimes the most bazaar reasons and Ford knows this.
I have to take your side in this debate...I ordered my Supercab FX4 Supercab from the factory with the 5.0L V8 over the Ecoboost. I had driven all 4 of Fords new engines in the F-150 by the time I got around to making my personal order. Honestly (like you) had Ford offered the 6.2L in the configuration I wanted (FX4 Supercab) I don't know if I could have resisted the temptation. But I am by no means disapointed with the 5.0L...Its a hell of a runner! And gets better gas mileage than the 6.2L and is right on par with the Ecoboost.

When it came down to time to order this excat thought ran threw my mind...

(I can pay 750$ more for a truck with a little more power but sounds like a honda)

(Or I can pay 750$ less for a truck that has a little less power, but still far more than I'll ever need...And sounds like a total badass)

...In short...People who don't understand why guys like you and I choose the 5.0L over the Ecoboost...Will NEVER understand why we chose the 5.0L over the Ecoboost.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Actually only one person suggested the 3.5L. Most of us, me included recommended another Superduty with either a 6.2L or a 6.7L based on the 9000 lb tractor that he's pulling.

The 3.5L only works for the guy that wants it. To me, the quietness of the ecoboost is one of it's most attractive features.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru

I would take a Goldwing over any hardley ableson in the world. Best ride money can buy, and most reliable as well.

I love the sound of a healthy V8. My 99 F-150 has a decent amount of money in its Long tube true dual x pipe system. And i love it.

But when it comes down to me hauling my 7500lb race trailer every weekend. I could care less what the truck sounds like. I want to be able to get on the interstate and not feel like im going to have trouble accelerating up to speed, or passing.

I myself have not chosen the engine i will buy. If i get a Raptor, its obvious. The only other truck i will consider is the FX4, so i will be stuck between the eboost and 5.0. I have little while to decide though.

Also notice i already have a new 5.0, im not against it or any other ford motor. Im just simply laying the facts out there to the capability of the engines. Not just the sounds they make.

Im a successful you man as well, i dont see what that has to do with the price of tea in china in this conversation though.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD

Im a successful you man as well, i dont see what that has to do with the price of tea in china in this conversation though.
I took you comment earlier as if you were saying a guy is an idiot for choosing a motor because of sound, but I see where you are coming from so fair enough.

As far as getting on the freeway and accelerating or passing I think any of the three motors 3.5, 5.0 or 6.2 will compitantly get the job done as good or better Than any other competitors top of the range gas motor.
I think you really need to factor in all costs & discounts on the truck you want.
I could have got the same truck I have today with the 3.5 for say $750 more than my same 5.0 but the catch was my 5.0 was heavily discounted back in Nov almost $9500 off the msrp. Ecoboost trucks only had about $5400 off the msrp and there was no deeper discounts on top of that because of all the hype & demand.
I would have been happy with either one but for my situation it wasn't worth better than a $4k spread after the super deep discount for the 5.0.
A lot oh guys on here are saying the difference in price is just $750 and be it, it may in other parts of the country. But I'm telling you Eco's are selling for msrp less any rebates and that's it. You can almost steal a 5.0 or 3.7 out here because they are just sitting.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Dirtysnow
Junior User
I have the ecoboost and honestly you cant feel its true power just driving without a load or trailer. Put 8,000lbs+ behind it, go find a hill and floor it! Words cannot describe....

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Pool Runner, buying more than 8 brand new trucks in 5 years is what makes you the die hard truck guy? Not saying you are not, but I had to think about that statement. Not sure I agree with that reasoning.

I don't care much about how an engine sounds as long as it is (relatively) quiet. Other specs are much more important to me, especially since I prefer to not hear the engine much if possible.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 3.5 EB. need some quick advice