Should I buy a 6.0 powerstroke? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a 6.0 powerstroke?

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Should I buy a 6.0 powerstroke?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:04 AM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
The gentleman who started this thread hasn't been back to the website in a number of years. If you have a specific question, you should start a new thread to discuss that.

Welcome aboard

Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 AM
coolbeans3dot
New User
coolbeans3dot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi, I just made this account right now and im interested in buying a 6.0 or a 7.3 but i am inclined more on the 6.0. Ive been watching a lot of powerstrokehelp videos. He is a really good mechanic for powerstrokes on youtube. I am currently saving up to buy one in the near future but not for towing, only for the occasional haul and camping trips. I look forward to owning one and chatting with ya'll about these wonderful diesel trucks

Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 AM
87crewdually
Postmaster
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
I will say this.
Read all you can, including the 6.0 bible so you get a full understanding how these engines run, the changes through the years, diagnostics, and monitoring of a 6.0. Watch YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with what's what in the engine bay. And with any used 10+ year old vehicle Have a small account of monies set aside for that "just in case" scenario.
After that, if you still find yourself asking if you should buy one or not, then the answer is no, you're not ready.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:46 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Read the Tech Folder:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html

6.0L Coffee Table Books (same as the 6.0L bible):

http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/EF_456.pdf

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...ble%20Book.pdf

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...ble%20Book.pdf

2005 updates
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...s%20Update.pdf

Turbocharger guide
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...er%20Guide.pdf

2003 OBD Manual
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...0%20engine.pdf

Hard Start-No Start guide:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...Diag_Sheet.pdf

FICM manual:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/FICM.pdf

FICM Guide
http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...FICM_Guide.pdf

Get an owners manual if you don't have one.

If you will be doing your own wrenching, look for a set of shop manuals.

Don't believe everything at PowerstrokeHelp.com

When you have questions, typically it is good to start a new thread instead of "tagging on" to an old one.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 AM
High_HP
Senior User
High_HP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stick to the '06/'07 year models, they have the factory revisions in place. Use the Ford cetane booster/fuel lube every tank to assist injectors. 130K and I've only spent $28 in repairs... $4 fuel regulator o-ring at 75k miles and $24 water in fuel sensor at 120k miles. Bone stock.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 AM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by coolbeans3dot View Post
Ive been watching a lot of powerstrokehelp videos. He is a really good mechanic for powerstrokes on youtube.
IBTL

Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by High_HP View Post
Stick to the '06/'07 year models, they have the factory revisions in place. Use the Ford cetane booster/fuel lube every tank to assist injectors. 130K and I've only spent $28 in repairs... $4 fuel regulator o-ring at 75k miles and $24 water in fuel sensor at 120k miles. Bone stock.
I'm not positive, but I don't think those years had the updated STC in place.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
Originally Posted by navistarnut View Post
I'm not positive, but I don't think those years had the updated STC in place.
It's been brought up before, IIRC the conclusion is it's almost certain no F-Series 6.0 would have been built with the STC bracket, and definitely none were built with the upgraded fitting.

My engine was in a 6-22-2006 build, it did NOT have any upgraded parts (don't have the engine S/N on hand). Haven't been under the HPOP cover of the 7-21-2006 build truck yet, but that has to be one of the last F-Series 6.0s off the line.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...year-6-0s.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...his-right.html

Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 PM
jlillie
Senior User
jlillie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jlillie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Start a new thread CoolBeans, let us know what your looking at and how its going. Lots of us like to chime in on these sorts of threads.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 PM
coolbeans3dot
New User
Sooo, thank you guys for the replies and I did read the 6.0 bible and the engine diagrams and what not, I am still very interested in purchasing one, because I know they have potential but just need a little financial motivation, I'd rather stick to 6.0 because they are newer and the 7.3's in this day and age are usually beat up and too expensive, it's only about time before all of the little things in the truck begin to fail. (Correct me if wrong)
Saying this, what do you guys think about an 06' f250 ccsb, lariat, 150k 2wd
Here's the getter, the vehicle is currently a crank no start, and owner had just replaced turbo and alternator, and at one point claims to have replaced hpop, he is selling because he just bought himself a new dodge ram diesel, he is a contractor, and he claims he is selling only because he got tired of dumping money into an older truck. He is selling it to me $5000. I could offer him $4500 and believe he would say yes. The truck was driving well at one point and when he decided to turn on again when he was in town shopping, it didn't want to. Although he persisted and eventually it turned on. He parked it, tried to turn on again, never turned on again. He has taken to mechanics in his area but he hasn't found one that knows the powerstroke diesels to even touch them. Hence without being with his work truck he bought a new ram. I was thinking about buying a scangauge II and returning to test out the truck before I buy. I get the feeling he is bull$&&@'n me. Also claims he is the original owner new. I got an oasis report on truck and his name isn't the one listed as the buyer on the report. The Oasis report came back totally clean no records of anything. Should I pursue this truck??

Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
It would be best to start a new thread.
At $4500 if the body is good then you will have some rood to work with
on how much your willing to put into a crank no start issue.
An Oasis report is really only going to show work that was done at
a Ford house under warrantee. So if work was done at Joe's shop it won't show.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 AM
coolbeans3dot
New User
Yes the body is great and the interior is almost flawless with the beige leather driver and passenger seats each have 1 tear. The tailgate is the only hiccup in the aesthetic aspect. It is dented pretty bad, but thank you very much I am going to bite the BULLET AND BUY!!

Unfortunately to no avail on my end, I couldn't find the new thread starter button?tab? Maybe because this is my 2nd response I ever make on this forum? Thank you! Yakiho for your valued INPUT & TIME!!!

Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
On the main page of the forum you look to the line where the
threads are and you will see it. I circled it in red.

I added a bit more info on things.