Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior User

ATX F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enviroguy View Post
Ok so I spent 6hrs at the dealership today trouble shooting my "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" on my brand new F-250 Platinum Super Duty I spent way to much on. What we've come to conclude is, the module that receives or controls the receiver for the tire sensors, also controls the receiver for the remote keyless entry. It gets radio frequency interference or RFI from various apple products and motorola gadgets that may be plugged into any outlet in the truck (including the USB's in the dash) getting juice. Ford motor company only indicates that "some" electronic devices that are being charged in the vehicle "may" cause RF interference to the TPMS module. The dealership basically said, "don't charge anything in the vehicle" which leaves me wondering why the heck they even bothered putting outlets in the truck to begin with .

I've noticed that when my "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" message comes on, my truck is nearly impossible to remote start/lock/unlock/panic unless I'm literally within a 12' radius of the truck. After unplugging my iPad, my key fob miraculously started working properly. I'm hoping to figure out how to shield the "module" in the passenger door frame/toe kick so that I can charge my phone, iPod, iPad, and cellular booster since my truck is my office.

So far, my plan is to line the cover panel with some foil and grounding it out, kind of like shielding an electric guitar pick up. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd really appreciate some serious input .

Thanks.
Grounding it will definitely not hurt. You gotta be careful if your thinking of building a "shield" that you don't block the signals that you want the module to pick up in the first place. Also remember when you ground, to burnish the area that your grounding to. In other words, don't just ground it to painted metal.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM
New User

Tazz3L is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Similar Problem Resolved on 2008 Escape HEV

Quote:
... "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" on my brand new F-250 Platinum Super Duty... What we've come to conclude is, the module that receives or controls the receiver for the tire sensors, also controls the receiver for the remote keyless entry. It gets radio frequency interference or RFI from various apple products and motorola gadgets that may be plugged into any outlet in the truck (including the USB's in the dash) getting juice. ...
Over the weekend my car manifest 2 problems the same day.
1. the remote keyless entry button stopped working (thought it was dead battery in key)
2. got a error message 'Tire Pressure Sensor Fault'

So after suffering with having to actually unlock my car with a key (heehee/see sarcastic grin) and getting irritated by the error message. I made an appointment for my car to get help at the dealership.

Meanwhile I asked the internet about my symptoms. Got the standard answers of "bad tire pressure sensor/reprogram" and change the battery in the key. But ONE and only one person (namely YOU! ) said what I thought was going on - that these two problems were related. (afterall it is 2 wireless devices in the car.)

Changing the key fob battery had no effect & Both keys were unresponsive.

Seeing what you said about certain chargers or wireless devices can cause interference in the tire sensor and keyless systems. .... Then I remember that I had been using a new no-name charger for my cell phone when this problem started.

Hum.... I unplugged that charger.....(it was a cheap generic power point to USB adapter)

The Keyless system is working... !
The tire pressure error has vanished.... !

I did not go to the car appointment....

Now let's hope this was in fact the problem!
May my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid "Be Healed!"

SO THANK YOU for Sharing your experience! I think you saved me a bundle!

Last edited by Tazz3L; 03-12-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added smiles
Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 AM
New User

Enviroguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
TPMS Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz3L View Post
Over the weekend my car manifest 2 problems the same day.
1. the remote keyless entry button stopped working (thought it was dead battery in key)
2. got a error message 'Tire Pressure Sensor Fault'

So after suffering with having to actually unlock my car with a key (heehee/see sarcastic grin) and getting irritated by the error message. I made an appointment for my car to get help at the dealership.

Meanwhile I asked the internet about my symptoms. Got the standard answers of "bad tire pressure sensor/reprogram" and change the battery in the key. But ONE and only one person (namely YOU! ) said what I thought was going on - that these two problems were related. (afterall it is 2 wireless devices in the car.)

Changing the key fob battery had no effect & Both keys were unresponsive.

Seeing what you said about certain chargers or wireless devices can cause interference in the tire sensor and keyless systems. .... Then I remember that I had been using a new no-name charger for my cell phone when this problem started.

Hum.... I unplugged that charger.....(it was a cheap generic power point to USB adapter)

The Keyless system is working... !
The tire pressure error has vanished.... !

I did not go to the car appointment....

Now let's hope this was in fact the problem!
May my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid "Be Healed!"

SO THANK YOU for Sharing your experience! I think you saved me a bundle!
No thanks needed. Glad I could help!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 PM
New User

pscjalepine is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just bought 2015 F350 rims and michelin tires installed them on a 2010 F350 however now my tire pressure monitoring sensor light flashes. How do you reset it?
Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 PM
New User

Kdjjmorin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you

After more than a year of bringing our truck to every dealership along our travels with no one to diagnose our issue (and ready to trade this in for anything else) I came across your post today. Thank you so much for sharing the info. I unplugged the cheap USB adapter from the power port and within 2 minutes, the fault cleared itself. Praise God!
Quote:
Ok so I spent 6hrs at the dealership today trouble shooting my "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" on my brand new F-250 Platinum Super Duty I spent way to much on. What we've come to conclude is, the module that receives or controls the receiver for the tire sensors, also controls the receiver for the remote keyless entry. It gets radio frequency interference or RFI from various apple products and motorola gadgets that may be plugged into any outlet in the truck (including the USB's in the dash) getting juice. Ford motor company only indicates that "some" electronic devices that are being charged in the vehicle "may" cause RF interference to the TPMS module. The dealership basically said, "don't charge anything in the vehicle" which leaves me wondering why the heck they even bothered putting outlets in the truck to begin with .

I've noticed that when my "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" message comes on, my truck is nearly impossible to remote start/lock/unlock/panic unless I'm literally within a 12' radius of the truck. After unplugging my iPad, my key fob miraculously started working properly. I'm hoping to figure out how to shield the "module" in the passenger door frame/toe kick so that I can charge my phone, iPod, iPad, and cellular booster since my truck is my office.

So far, my plan is to line the cover panel with some foil and grounding it out, kind of like shielding an electric guitar pick up. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd really appreciate some serious input .

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Posting Guru

Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
Resurrecting an ancient thread

I had a sensor fault show up on my dash screen - but I don't have a thing plugged into any port though we did have a couple AMAZON Kindles but not powered up. On an '11 truck though a JOB 1, built in '10, would almost expect to have a battery that has died after 7 years and 100K miles. Would I be wrong in just replacing/retraining four new sensors at about $150 bucks plus labor?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Posting Guru

Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
Looks as though I'm the only one this has happened to
Old 05-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Senior User

Picton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just run the truck by Discount Tire. They have a tool that can read the battery health on the TPMS sensors. If the dash light is not constant...then you may be experiencing an over-inflation warning...after the gas has had a chance to expand...after a good run down the freeway.

Once the light stays on...then you know it's either a battery needing replaced...or a new sensor.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picton View Post
Just run the truck by Discount Tire. They have a tool that can read the battery health on the TPMS sensors. If the dash light is not constant...then you may be experiencing an over-inflation warning...after the gas has had a chance to expand...after a good run down the freeway.

Once the light stays on...then you know it's either a battery needing replaced...or a new sensor.
Unfortunately, no Discount Tire anywhere close --- maybe Mavis can do a check.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Unfortunately, no Discount Tire anywhere close --- maybe Mavis can do a check.

Yeah I would think any Discount Tire equivalent shop should be able to diagnose.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Posting Guru

DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
Not to climb on the thread, but may be useful..........

I just had my tires inverted to white-letter out and rotated in an x for wear.

TPS light is on the dash. After reading the owners manual. There is a tool hidden in the back compartment of your owners manual that will retrain the tires after procedure is done in accordance with the owners manual.

Follow the basic steps and the world's your oyster.

Can't find yours??? That said, if you know of anyone who has a similar year ford and as long as your parked 10 feet away from any ford vehicle you can use they're TPS reset tool. Looks like a micro garage door opener. It doesn't matter if it's a pinto, you can use any ford model to do the same thing, they aren't conditional on what it belongs to.

TIP: Stand away from everything and push the green button, if the led light doesn't work, go to walmart or your drugstore and get a 4 dollar battery. They are watch batteries and don't last that long.

Denny
Old 06-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Not to climb on the thread, but may be useful..........

I just had my tires inverted to white-letter out and rotated in an x for wear.

TPS light is on the dash. After reading the owners manual. There is a tool hidden in the back compartment of your owners manual that will retrain the tires after procedure is done in accordance with the owners manual.

Follow the basic steps and the world's your oyster.

Can't find yours??? That said, if you know of anyone who has a similar year ford and as long as your parked 10 feet away from any ford vehicle you can use they're TPS reset tool. Looks like a micro garage door opener. It doesn't matter if it's a pinto, you can use any ford model to do the same thing, they aren't conditional on what it belongs to.

TIP: Stand away from everything and push the green button, if the led light doesn't work, go to walmart or your drugstore and get a 4 dollar battery. They are watch batteries and don't last that long.

Denny
Denny - I have the retrain tool (TPMS19) but for sure Ford didn't include it with my truck. You can get them here for whatever Amazon's special price of the day is:
Amazon Amazon

Yes, it works just fine.

Oh and my TPMS - yesterday and today, nary a blip on the dash screen. Tomorrow will be a 350 mile trip, so .....
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
......Oh and my TPMS - yesterday and today, nary a blip on the dash screen. Tomorrow will be a 350 mile trip, so .....
Let us know how that went. If the dash light didn't appear again...it's probably not dead. More than likely an over-inflation fault after running down the hot road for a stretch.

Last edited by Picton; 06-02-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Dropped the damn phaser in the toilet.